Toilet fan on after motion continues for 1 min?

They are really not designed for a constant flow of water. Will eventually deteriorate and stop functioning.

A nice little wireless wall switch or button should do the trick or just write a simple webCoRE Piston and be done with it.

1 Like

These ones work? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32747482482.html

1 Like

Those are the ones and they are cheap! Really nice buttons.

1 Like

Just be aware that Xioami has warned that many of the devices sold on Aliexpress and Alibaba are counterfeit and they will not honor the warranties.

Gearbest and Banggood are authorized sellers, I believe, but check.

You can attach wires to the two metal screw-in probes of Aqara/Xiaomi leak sensor and run them to the area where you want to detect waterā€¦saving the sensor unit from direct exposure.

1 Like

Was wondering on what would be the logic for a script in webcore to get this working with 1 or 2 motion sensors.
The idea is: if I enter and exit a room within on minute, the switch wonā€™t turn on, but if Iā€™m still in that room after 1 min, the switch would turn on.

Another case I saw a video on youtube someone was saying they have it working with just a motion sensor and a switch:
Light turns on when he enters the room. If he leaves the room in less than a minute, the ling will turn off immediately, but if heā€™s still in the room after 1 min, then the light would stay on for 15 min. If in these 15 min the motion detects motion again, it will extend it by 15 more minutes.

Iā€™m not good at webcore, too complicated for me at this moment.

I know this is an old thread but I had an idea of doing this myself.

Itā€™d require a smart switch for the fan, a door sensor, and a motion sensor.
You can setup automations in smartthings now so you can say ā€œif it stays in this state for 1 minute, then condition is metā€. So you have it setup to check if the door has been closed for a minute, then check if there is motion as well (because we generally close the door after pooping so you need a motion detector too), then set the then event to turn on the switch with an auto off of 10 minutes.

I havenā€™t actually tried it but I think itā€™d work. The only thing that I do not think would work is that once you have an auto off set for 10 minutesā€¦ power is being cut after 10 minutes. period. i setup a test for the auto off feature with one of my remotes. one event was to turn a light off after 10 seconds. another event was to turn it off after a minute. Iā€™d trigger the first event, then trigger the second event. I was hoping the second event would overwrite the timer set by the first event but that didnā€™t happen. The light turned off after 10 seconds. Then if I turned the light back on after it went off the first time, itā€™d turn off again after the minute passed. So youā€™d have to set the auto off for longer than you think youā€™d need.

Another option for the pooping scenario is to have a virtual switch that is turned on when those conditions are met, then another rule that says if the virtual switch is on, turn the fan on. My thought here is that youā€™d be able to set some rules up for the virtual switch so if a rule turned the fan on for 10 minutes from the first use case, then you can have another rule setup to run if the virtual switch has been on for 5 minutes. If that is true, then you could have a delayed action setup so in 5 minutes and 1 second (or slightly higher), the fan turns on. It would turn off for a second or two but it would go back on. Then a rule for turning the fan off after itā€™s been on for 5 more minutes and that virtual switch is still trueā€¦ you just need to make a bunch of extension rules for it, and a rule to turn the virtual switch off when there is no motion detected for a period of time

If you get one of the zooz 4 in 1 sensors you could also have a rule setup for door closed and humidity over a threshold so when someone uses the shower, it turns the fan on for 30 minutes or whatever.

This is almost exactly how I have the duct fan in my master bath setup. I didnā€™t need an open/close sensor on the door since the motion sensor knows someone is there. If there is motion for more than about 2 minutes the fan comes on, figures youā€™re doing something needing ventilation after that long.

I switched out the multi-sensor for a dedicated humidity sensor because the battery life was too short - the humidity sensor lives inside the duct just above shower so itā€™s a pain to get at. When the humidity reaches a level that means a shower is going the fan comes on. When it drops below that level it turns off. If itā€™s been on for 20 minutes it turns off regardless of the humidity.

The lights are also run off of motion sensors but I ran into the situation where the lights turned off when I was in the shower because the motion sensor canā€™t detect anything through the glass. I added a condition to only turn off the lights if there is no motion and the fan is also off. Maybe once a month the timing works out that the lights go off and I have to open the shower door for a second to turn them on. If it bothers me enough Iā€™ll either stick a motion sensor where it can detect someone inside the shower or just increase the no-motion timeout on lights.

All of that has worked really good for a couple of years.

1 Like