Thermostat Automation Help

I finally got my Honeywell thermostats to stay connected to SmartThings. I have created a rule in SharpTools to control a thermostat, but it doesn’t always change the temp. I’m sure it’s a problem with SmartThings. So, I’m trying to create some automations in SmartThings to control the temp. If I create something simple like change temp at 8 pm, it works, but I need something a bit more complicated.

I can create an automation that changes temp if my wife leaves, but I’m having trouble with the logic/triggers for when she returns. I tried using a time period and device presence (she is a Life360 device so I can track presence), but it wouldn’t trigger. I tried using her device as a precondition and not as a precondition, but couldn’t get it to work.

So, any thoughts on what settings to use to trigger the automation? If wife leaves, one rule resets temp. But I need a rule for when she returns to set a different temp. I figure I need four rules, one for 0430, one for 0600, one for 1400, and one for 2100 hours. But they would need to work if wife returns at any point between the first time and the next time. I have one rule for this in SharpTools, and probably could create one rule in WebCore, but not so sure how long that’ll be around, so figure I need five automations in SmartThings. Thoughts? Thanks!

Not necessarily, it’s a function of how the mesh works and if packets are lost then the command will be incomplete. For a true thermostat automation you will need an app which is a closed loop and monitor the status and takes corrective action if mesh degradation is detected.

Here a few that have such a closed loop system:
[RELEASE] 5-2 Day Programmable Thermostat Scheduler (Weekday, Weekend) with Remote Temperature Sensor for each Schedule
[RELEASE] Mode Based Thermostat - Control Multiple Thermostats Temperature / Remote Temperature Sensors when Changing Modes
[RELEASE] Motion Sensor Thermostat with Remote temperature sensors, Presence detection and Schedules

You can change the mode of the house when she leaves and arrives and then create an automation based on mode to change the thermostat. Again you’ll run in the lack of closed loop verification there, one of the apps above is a modes based thermostat which may solve that issue for you (plus you can use remote temperature sensors to create it a truly smart thermostat, e.g. at night focus the temperature on your bedroom with a standalone temperature sensor and during the day use the thermostat built in sensor)

Thanks for the suggestions. I have LUM installed and use that. I have the ultimate schedule app installed as well but don’t use it at the moment. I might try the mode based thermostat. This all worked fine until Honeywell or Samsung changed the DTH. I think it went from the Groovy DTH to the new Edge DHT (or whatever it’s called) because when I look in the IDE it shows Placeholder. There used to be about 24 options for controlling the thermostats and it dropped to 12. The resumeProgram option is no longer available. I set up schedules in the Honeywell app and changed the temp sometimes with SmartThings or SharpTools and then used resumeProgram to revert to the programs in the app, but that’s no longer available. Anyway, I’ll keep working away at this. Thanks.

It sounds like you may have a WiFi module on your thermostat. If that’s the case then that’s a cloud integration is controlled by Honeywell (Edge doesn’t impact C2C integrations) and you’ll have to contact Honeywell to see what changed since you seem to have different controls. A placeholder in the IDE refers to C2C integrations.

They are WiFi thermostats.