The End of Groovy Has Arrived

Yeah I have the V2 ST hub so hopefully I’ll be ok. I hope virtual devices like buttons etc can and will run locally. I sure they will

I didn’t realise you could run all that other stuff without an hub though, that’s impressive.

1 Like

Sure, there are some really nice community-created virtual devices available now as Edge Drivers. All Edge Drivers run locally.

Check the quick browse lists in the community-created wiki and look for the “virtual” list in the Edge Drivers section. :sunglasses:

https://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section#Quick_Browse_Links_for_Edge_Drivers

1 Like

Thanks.
I haven’t even changed or moves yet to edge. Figured I’d let ST do the merge and take it from there. I don’t see any edge drivers within my app yet.
You think it’s a good idea to just leave things just now and see what the outcome is come Sep 30th?

In general, yes, but it’s a personal decision. And if you are currently using custom groovy code (either DTHs or SmartApps) that you think will not have functional parity with the new official features, then starting your research now makes sense.

To be honest, I personally feel more comfortable right at this moment using the Edge Drivers created by the community developers, which tend to be better documented and with better bug tracking, but again, your choice.

3 Likes

That’s my plan. I run on 100% stock DTHs.

I had played with a few custom DTHs but none were in use. I got on the IDE a few days ago and purged every custom DTH, all SmartApps except Smart Lighting from my account, and removed all GitHub connections.

3 Likes

Yes a few of my automations and devices will cease to function and although I’ve been with ST over the course of like 5yrs, I’m still struggling with exactly what I need to do here if I’m honest.

1 Like

Which devices?

Not even sure to be fair haha .
Off the top of my head, things like

Harmony Hub ( I have 2 )
My Arlo cameras
Nest thermostat
Neato Botvac D7

1 Like

There is an edge driver that can manage one Harmony hub.

Nest thermostats can be integrated with the google nest integration. I had the worst time migrating from my Nest account to Google Home account but that has nothing to do with ST.

If your zwave devices support OTA firmware updates then do it first, its well worth it and 700 series devices are ligthning quick.

I use 2 harmony hubs though, although hopefully this will happen sooner rather than later.

Not sure how i go about the nest integration. I don’t think I ever moved my nest to the Google integration. ( I remember this issue back last year and everyone said don’t do it )

That leave my Arlos ( pretty important ) and my Neato

The official Arlo integration already uses the new architecture so nothing should change on that. So unless you’re running some custom code, everything should be fine with those.

What are you using for the Neato integration?

1 Like

Ah see, I didn’t realise my Arlos would work. I assumed that was a goner
My Neato is a little different and I could easily use a virtual switch and use Alexa to trigger that when the home is in away mode. I assume and hope the new virtual switches can be exposed within Alexa?

I’m using ‘Neato ( connect) ‘ smart app.

Unfortunately, I don’t have information about that. Have you reached out to the Customer Support team to share your concern about these limits?
They handle questions/issues related to the ST app (non-development / customization related).

There HAS to be an increase in automations. 200 is simply not enough

Especially given the fact webcore is going away. I’ve had to move a lot of my automations to webcore because of this 200 limit, now webcore is gone, now what?

1 Like

Yes, the endpoints of the API won’t be modified. However, remember that each integration has different properties, for example, a DTH has deviceTypeId and deviceTypeName (DTH Name) which are not included in Edge
So, if you developed a program that reacts to those properties, you should update it. If not, there are no actions for you to take.

WebCore is a third-party integration, so, it’s not sure if they will migrate.

The ones created by community developers that run as Edge Drivers can. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

That won’t work after September 30. You should check in the author thread to see if anyone’s working on something for the new platform. :thinking:

4 Likes

What’s the deal with these edge drivers.
Is it really just a matter of downloading them onto your hub and then these devices / drivers appear within ST.

1 Like

If they are official edge drivers written by ST, you don’t have to do anything. They will get automatically downloaded to your hub and matched with new devices as you add them. And there will be some kind of automatic transition as part of the cutover for Sept 30.

If you want to use a custom edge driver, you just follow a link the author will give you to subscribe to their channel, and after that the drivers you select will get downloaded to your hub. Once the driver is on your hub it will get automatically used when you add a matching device. Or you can switch between drivers available on your hub by using the ST app.

So it’s all much easier than using custom groovy DTHs was. :sunglasses:

2 Likes