The End of Groovy Has Arrived

v) Once a device is using an Edge driver, will it be necessary to remove and add the device to change the native Edge driver for the device, to a custom edge drive should one become available? (If I’m correct that the IDE will no longer be used to manage device drivers)

You will first subscribe to the custom edge driver author’s channel and select the driver you want so it gets downloaded to your hub. That can take awhile (reports have been of up to 12 hours: I don’t know what the production standard will be).

Once it’s on your hub, you’ll be able to switch back and forth between available drivers on your hub for that device from the device details page. It will list the drivers you have for that device. Based on reports from people in the early beta, the production driver should be on that list also. (@Automated_House might know.)

The IDE will be shut down when the transition is complete so, yes, you are correct that it is not used to manage Edge Drivers.

1 Like

at @JDRoberts and @jkp I wasn’t promoting HubConnect usage, I just said it made me lazy, and finding out I had 6 weeks before it broke it make me complete the move ASAP

6 Likes

I have been looking since this rushed announcement, one thing I am not seeing with Hubitat is a commitment to Matter. The question on the forum was kind of blown by…

2 Likes

To be honest, a Z wave to matter integration is going to be complicated, because most Z wave hubs don’t use IP addresses for the end devices. So that’s a lot of work. I suspect that’s why Samsung is only going to offer a one-way integration for matter: you will be able to bring Matter-compliant devices into the smartthings app, but you will not be able to add the smartthings hub to other matter-compliant apps like Apple home or IKEA Dirigera.

My guess is that most of the Z wave hub manufacturers are just going to wait on matter to see if silicon labs, the Z wave chip manufacturer, comes up with a matter solution for Z wave. maybe as part of Series 800. SI has been making some statements that imply that they might do this, but nothing specific yet.

SmartThings was willing to go to market with the one-way integration, but then they have one of the more popular home automation apps.

But this is all just speculation on my part, no one has made any public announcements that I’ve seen.

So I think we may just have to wait and see on this specific issue. :thinking:

1 Like

I sincerely appreciate everyone’s input regarding my questions. The chaotic manner in which Samsung is dealing with this, is beyond infuriating and makes it difficult not to make an emotional decision about moving away from the Smartthings platform.

2 Likes

Deleting the device and then deleting the custom DTH and then re-adding the device forced to choose the stock edge driver. Thank you very much.

1 Like

Why does this matter? Will one work and one not after all the changes?

Why does this matter? Will one work and one not after all the changes?

The IDE is being discontinued as part of the changes.

I understand that but why does that matter for a virtual device that was created long ago? Will it not switch to a new edge virtual device?

I think it is a definite possibility that it will given the virtual switch is a stock DTH and a virtual switch Edge driver has been created.

However if you created the device manually you may not have assigned it to a hub in order to have a cloud based virtual switch, in which case migrating to an Edge device wouldn’t make sense.

1 Like

This is actually the reason I created my virtual devices using the IDE to begin with. When I used the labs, it didn’t assign my hub and then I wasn’t able to do that in the IDE either.

I imagine the Home Assistant integration with SmartThings is going to stop working as well? I have been putting off moving all my Zigbee and Z-wave devices off of SmartThings and into Home Assistant as the current integration has worked quite well. If this change will stop the integration from working I guess I better get some USB sticks and start migrating all my devices…and all my automations too.

This whole rollout seems to have been completely botched and providing users and developers just barely over a month to make massively sweeping changes is totally unacceptable.

Hi @nayelyz

Do you have any feedback on my previous questions regarding the Routine Creator?

Can you please provide some information around the future/launch of this?
Looking through the js files at routinecreator.smartthings.com, it looks like a lot of work was done to create a front end user interface…

Is this product still within the timeline of “coming soon”?
If so, can you give us an estimate?
Or can you say if the beta will be opened to more users?

Or is this project now dead?

Thank you

3 Likes

Oh, I didn’t know the Labs app didn’t assign the hub. That’s surprising.

ST have never got the hang of timely explanations for stuff. We’ve clocked the virtual devices in the API, SDK, CLI and the Edge drivers. That is when we need to know the plan, as the inevitable alternative is speculation or just sucking and seeing.

1 Like

No, luckily the home assistant integration is built on the API, not groovy, so it will continue to function without issue.

I was in the same boat as you though, but since I have at least a couple devices for which no Edge driver exists, I’ve ordered zwave and zigbee sticks for home assistant and will be finishing the migration over to that platform.

2 Likes

Maybe not.

Well over 90% of ST app users don’t have a hub: they have a Samsung smart television or appliance, all of which now use the same ST app as hub users.

I am still waiting to hear whether there will be a virtual switch and virtual contact sensor available for those in a “hub optional” configuration.

But it makes sense to me that the Labs option, in particular, wouldn’t assign a hub. :thinking:

Speaking of virtual sensors, switches etc.
will these still be available come Sep 30th. They were great and the fact they ran locally is even better.

As discussed upthread, there are some options based on Edge Drivers, but those will require a hub, which the current virtual devices do not.

I am waiting to hear what, if any, hub-optional choices there will be in the new architecture.

When you say hub, are you talking about a Smartthings hub?

Yes, SmartThings or Aeotec WASH hub. One of those is required to run an Edge driver.

When the apps were combined into one, the number of ST app downloads in the Google Playstore jumped from about 500,000 to well over one hundred million. Those new users had Samsung smart appliances and televisions, not ST hubs.

You can run a nice setup now with a Samsung smart television, Philips hue bridge (which also gives you motion sensors), Lutron Caseta or Leviton (WiFi) light switches, Ring doorbell, Ecobee or Nest thermostat, a Yale by August or Schlage WiFi smart lock, and Meross smart plugs and not need an ST hub.

This will be even more true once Matter devices are available.