Text-to-Speech is back!

HOLY SMOKES IT WORKS! Thanks Tim…I forgot how cool the talking home is!

2 Likes

Does this apply to UK users also?

Sure does :smile:

@slagle for one am happy about this, most excellent, +1 for getting rid of the previously rendered stuff, as the new voice sounds a lot nicer, however i would love some alternative voices, sorry but the US accent just grates on my UK ears.

as for the platform update, I’ve noticed an improvement on mode switching inc SHM, but also different behavior on how ST now switches on light for example they don’t come on all at the same time like it seemed they used to prior to the update, the lights now seem to come on in sequence with a longer ms time gap between each one. but i have had a reduction of success as now in my two rooms with the most lights, 1 of the lights is missed more a lot regularly than before the platform update. but if i know whats changed i can probably work around it.

Do you have a change list for the platform update so i can correlate the behavior i am seeing?

Yes, I would really like to have the ability in the future to be able to select British English. It would be a great move to support the UK market!

Until that time comes, I will buy my sonos today, and can’t wait to add announcements to my system!

Great job in bringing back TTS! Thanks!

1 Like

Maybe I’m missing something but I can’t see the TTS option in any of the Sonos apps - there used to be options to play sound effects (e.g. dog barking, siren, etc.) along with TTS for a phrase which was entered.

Where should the option be?

Thanks in advance

Does this TTS work with the Samsung 360 Multiroom speakers too??

Yes, that is what I am using.

@jnschemm Cool! What apps do you use?? the Sonos smart apps?

Yes. This unit shows up just like the Sonos. You can also use ‘Speaker Notify With Sound’ which is under ‘Music & Sounds’ in the Marketplace. The one issue I have noticed is that when first create a new notification it wont’ play. You need to set it up, kick it off. Then go back into the notification and click done again. After that it will play. Has anyone else noticed this or is it something unique to my setup?

Does TTS work with the Amazon Echo?? :grin::grin::no_mouth:

I don’t appear to have the “Speaker Notify with Sound” app. Have cleared cache and data in app properties but still not present? Any ideas?

No. Amazon has not opened that up nor have we heard any plans for them to. Believe me we are all waiting for this capability. Submit a request to Amazon. In your Alexa app click ‘General Feedback’ and submit your request. If enough of us do that maybe they will listen. :smiley:

Werid, I don’t have Sonos showing up in mine or the Talking Alarm Clock.
I do see you are on Android and I have IOS.

@fightingmajor Talking alarm clock is a custom app @MichaelS can help with the location of his app.

Look at Marketplace/things/Entertainment/speakers/Sonos

PS it is one awesome app!!!

Ya it’s not located there either.
Gee wouldn’t it be great if they would decide to put the search function back in to the Smartthings app. No clue why they thought it was a good idea to remove it when they came out with the updated Smartthings app.

@slagle Any word on this function ever coming back? The search function that is.

I think this was removed when they started having TTS issue…the production version is here:

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll give it a try.
It’s weird though how Sonos stuff and this app is showing up on @adeparker Smarthings app but not on mine.

Thanks @dfairbro1, found the app that way. Wonder why it’s not under the smartapps section and only things. Oh well!

1 Like

I believe when TTS went down they removed all/most of the functioning apps. Now that it is back up they are slowly adding things back. I know yesterday (or this morning) I did not have any of the TTS apps (like the speaker weather forecast) that I have now… just give it a little time, I am sure it will be back soon :smile: