Support for 433 MHz devices?

+1 1 on support for 433MHz devices.

Plz add the support or at least enable connection to RFXtrx433 USB

I have added support for 433MHz devices via my ST_Anything project… Details can be found at

2 Likes

Here’s some cool stuff for the hackers in the community:

http://rayshobby.net/rftoy/

2 Likes

On this topic, I have a fundamental conceptual existential question :slight_smile:

I understand z-wave / zigbee bring lot of advantages in an open architecture smarthome open standard. But, price of a smoke detector or any other basic sensors such as :

Smoke detector 433 MHZ = 4 USD , z-wave or zigbee = minimum 29 USD
Door sensor 433 MHZ = 4 USD , z-wave or zigbee = minimum 19 USD

I understant that it is worth inveting in z-wave devices. However, if their functionality is classical and basic such as door sensing/ smoke . What would be driver to invest 5 times the price in z-wave and not use 433 MHZ. For a larage building, budget is easily 5 times as high.

I know you guys are pationate and also very smart, kindly enlighten me on reason to go with z-wave despite high price of its sensor

Z-Wave uses more advanced protocol than simple 433Mhz sensors. In a nutshell, it’s more secure and more robust. Does in justify higher cost? It depends on your specific situation and requirements.

2 Likes

Cheap solution here.
It uses any android device + buying a $30 RF/IR transmitter.

1 Like

I think the Wink Hub 2 also does 433. Am I allowed to say that here? :stuck_out_tongue:

There are many different protocols that use 433 MHz frequency band. Wink only supports two specific protocols - Kidde and Lurton. They are not the same as simple on/off RF switches that Broadlink is meant for.

Hi! @n0ir, where you able to workaround this?

+1 on this.
If you’re in Sweden (or rest of Europe I think also) there is another hub with 433, animus home.

@geko, yes z-wave is more robust but sometimes you’re just looking for cheaper alternatives to play around with

I’d upgrade my Smartthings Hub for native 433MHz support. The RM2+Android bridge is unreliable.

@ogiewon I am attempting to replicate exactly what you have built out specifically for controlling etekcity sockets via 433mhz. That said, I have pulled your project into platform.io but it is throwing errors about secrets.h missing which makes sense. Would it be possible for you to drop the sensitive values and post that file with the variables so I can compile?

I think you’re using another user’s code, not mine. I never included a secrets.h file in any of my sketches. If you look at my ST_Anything example sketches, you’ll see plenty of examples of what those values should be.

Is this the post you’re getting the source code from by any chance? If so, you may want to ask @perivar for a sanitized copy of secrets.h. Or, just replace all of necessary constants with values.

@ogiewon sorry - I had multiple threads open. I pulled a fork from this thread/post: https://community.smartthings.com/t/st-anything-433mhz-rf-devices-arduino-thingshield/19084/31?u=lehighkid It appears there is a secrets.h file that stores the variables for the connection details for the network and hub. I was attempting to keep the values separate instead of updating the main.ino file but not sure of the data types for each variable - for instance:
WIFI_SSID = ;
WIFI_PASSWORD = ;
DEVICE_IP_ADDRESS = ;
ROUTER_GATEWAY = ;
LAN_SUBNET = ;
DNS_SERVER = ;
SERVER_PORT = ;
HUB_IP_ADDRESS;
HUB_PORT = ;

I’ll look through the other examples… Apologies for the confusion.

1 Like

Hi, I added a secrets.h file so passwords etc isn’t published on github when I publish the source. It only contains:

#define WIFI_SSID “**"
#define WIFI_PASSWORD "

#define DEVICE_IP_ADDRESS { 192, 168, 0, 200 }
#define ROUTER_GATEWAY { 192, 168, 0, 1 }
#define LAN_SUBNET { 255, 255, 255, 0 }
#define DNS_SERVER { 192, 168, 0, 1 }
#define SERVER_PORT 8090
#define HUB_IP_ADDRESS { 192, 168, 0, 50 }
#define HUB_PORT 39500

Perfect thank you @perivar this is exactly what I was looking for!

Okay so I haven’t had much luck getting the receiver demo to work or sniff results to update the codes in @perivar’s code. I do see this in there - can someone please tell me the appropriate way to connect the receiver and find the codes for my outlets? I had this previously working on my RPi3 but trying now on nodemcu and not much luck…

In the RCSwitch Receive Demo what should this line be? And what pin on the nodemcu? I haven’t found a working combination yet…

I do have the decimal codes previously - is there a way to convert to binary?

Guys, i have one of these and it works really well for rf devices: https://www.hooksmarthome.com

Have you integrated it with SmartThings?

I eventually got it up and running and works very well. I looked at hook but was a little pricey and no direct integration - everything I saw required android in the middle.

ST_Anything fork is the way to go.

1 Like