Starting from zero - SmartThings and Fibaro RGBW

Exactly what I have done.

Thanks so much

so if i get these

This fibaro device http://amzn.eu/aVxWscZ1

and these adapters https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00W0YU4K0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_8aXCAbZNKJE8541

thats everything?

How do I tell if I need it ?

Hi robin.

Sorrry I’m lost.

I’m not using an electrician and I’m just simply trying to replicate a
Philips hue light strip - I’m expecti ng to plug this in to a three pin
socket in the same way as you plug a hue strip and simply hide the module
behind the furniture it will sit on

Thats ok.

Ok. So what do I need to get to do that?

Not worried about looks but certainly safety!

Thanks Robin. So I now have the light strip (including power pack), fibaro, and the things in the pic below.
What’s my best starting move ? Connect one of the things in the picture to the fibaro?

1519323256356760071805|666x500

stupid question - can’t see a hole in the box ?

these are the two copper wires inside the power supply cable. Neither have a stripe. Which one is which ?

thanks.

What is this for ?

Also, you say to add th e black core of the extension to the 12 /24vdc slot, that will mean two wires are connected to that b it (as the power cable is already) is that right ?

Also. I need a bit more slack on the power cable in the box. Can I cut this off ?

Thanks @anon36505037

At some point earlier in the thread you recommended I bought the white extensions in the other pic, thats fine can keep for other stuff.

Looking at this pic of the power cable, can i cut this little barrel off? and re strip the wire?

it’s ok. Seem to have managed iit now

You might as well book a ticket. You are going to do the entire install for him anyway. :smile:

2 Likes

Sure. Will do. So I got it to show up in smartthings but the lights didn’t turn on or change when I pressed the buttons. I tried to remove and readd it by goi ng into the ide and deleting it and now I can’t get it to find it again. I’ve since read that there’s some special way or removing zwave devices but they all involve pressing something on the fibaro and I’m not sure how safe that is once it’s powered

Think you should, or at least build a cookbook and charge for it.

@WB70 I’ve been very lucky to have someone so generous in spirit help me. We all have to start somewhere and despite all the reading I’ve done I’m reasured to have someone advise. I start training as a professional electrician in april so I’m sure I’ll 'pay it forward 'to the community .

For what it’s worth btw I am not a HE

I’m only kidding with you. Some great peeps in the community willing to help out. Before you become a professional electrician, don’t get electrocuted before then. Especially on the 12volt :smile:

I’m on my first cup of coffee and one eye is open. I thought it said MikeMolly, that’s why I referred to you as a he. I usually don’t refer to someone as him or her for that very reason unless I can see the name is specific to a gender. Robin and I have had that conversation, hehe.

1 Like

It’s fine I’m not offended - i like being in the minority :slight_smile:

On the topic of electrocution, how do I avoid electrocutingmyself while pressing this b button the fibaro (when I find it)

No worries ive managed it and not died (yet)

So it’s appearing in smartthings but no light :frowning: what now ?