Stacey on IOT: AirTags vs Samsung SmartTags

Interesting review. Of course you need an iPhone to take advantage of an AirTag. But since they have a built-in NFC chip, you might be able to get some smartthings integration that way, which would be cool. :sunglasses:

Also, I love the fact that you get free personal engraving on these. There’s little I hate more than having to pay someone else to stick little tiny stickers onto little tiny buttons. LOL! :grin:

@jkp

1 Like

Knowing apple, it will have its downside. They’ve probably already planned its obsolescence and when it won’t be supported any longer. Just like every other device they discontinue to get you to buy the next.
It probably has a battery they can make go flat or a screen that will break rendering the Fob useless. Wouldn’t touch them for all the money in the world. Stick to opensource!

1 Like

Different things work for different people. I’ve used Apple devices for a long time and have been very happy with their commitment to quality and accessibility.

I’ve talked to them on a couple of different occasions about specific accessibility issues, and they’ve taken it very seriously, passed it along to accessibility engineers, and one way or another the issues have all been addressed and the features improved within about six months of my reporting it. (Of course I’m sure a lot of other people were reporting it as well.)

But I do myself plan for a three-year replacement cycle in all my home automation devices, and that has served me well. And as much as possible I try to get plug and play systems, as I have to pay someone else to do even very minimal maintenance. Again, different things work for different people, but they suit my particular needs quite well.

3 Likes

I was feeling very controversial yesterday :sweat_smile:
And whilst I know some people love Apple, I think their business model stinks. So I standby my comment. They have no right to render a device useless by stop issuing ios updates for example.
Also, they were caught out spectacularly for their battery scandal and I’m sure they have a similar approach for screens. I’ve fixed so many iPhone screens it’s scary, yet only 1 Samsung for example.
But each to their own, just wanted to point it these will probably be obsolete long before the Samsung Smarttag.

1 Like

Not controversial at all @Mikeyf79 , I think most HA enthusiasts would totally agree with you, and Apple is the complete antithesis of open. I think the OP thought they were being told not to use Apple, but choice is good :sunglasses:

1 Like

Me and @JDRoberts work well together, and we don’t tell eachother anything lol.
Little bit of banter and difference never hurt anyone.

1 Like

Samsung has discontinued many products as well, some only a few years after release, including the SmartThings Thingshield, the ST motion sensor that could run on USB power, SmartThings Connect Home, the ST Nvidia Shield, the ST arrival sensor, the ST/ADT dual logo hub and all the dual logo accessories, etc. and several of these had no comparable replacements.

My own guess is that the SmartTag will be discontinued within a year because technically it just doesn’t compete with the AirTags: but the recently announced Galaxy Smart Tag Plus will be the recommended replacement.

Most technology companies do something similar either because market demands change or technology changes. It’s a rapidly evolving industry.

So I would gladly bet you a virtual beer that in this particular case the Samsung SmartTag will be discontinued before the Apple AirTag, because Samsung just announced the replacement this month. :wink::beers:

2 Likes

Don’t forget the SmartThings Tracker. It was the cellular enabled location tracker that came out a while ago (2 years maybe?). It isn’t for sale on the Samsung website anymore, so it looks like it is already cancelled.

2 Likes

Apple is known for supporting older hardware much longer with iOS patches and version upgrades as compared to the vast majority of Android phone suppliers. For example, the iPhone 5s received 6 years of iOS upgrades.

Not seeing where even Google is doing as much with its own Pixel phones…

3 Likes

I’ll buy you a beer without a bet :wink:

I’ve never had a problem with a company discontinuing a problem. My issue with apple is not only do they discontinue an item but by preventing ios updates they render a perfectly usable item useless. Unless like me you like having an ipad doorstop!!
Something that will soon be illegal in the UK and EU as things will have to be repairable for at least 10years. (With normal tools) so it should also stop them inventing new screws that need a special driver to undo them.

2 Likes

Looks like these may be less useful for microlocation than I had hoped as there will be a limit of 16 per Apple ID.

The maximum number of AirTags that can be connected to a single Apple ID is 16, according to Apple’s Kaiann Drance.

PREACH!!! I also have an Ipad for which I paid too much that right now I cannot even use to watch youtube on a web browser, because of the stupid updates. Had I known I would have a worthless device after a few years (I bought it in 2013, by 2017 a lot of apps would not update, by 2019 none of them would update and it was slower than a worm, and by 2020 even the browsers were unusable), I would have save my hard earned money. I cannot afford to be buying another one of those things every 2 or 3 years. I have had Android phones most of my life and have used them until either the battery would not hold charge, or until I needed more space, years of updates worth and those phones and the apps STILL work and I can use them as surveillance cameras, all while I am trying to figure out what to do with the Apple paper weight I have. Anyway, I am with Mikeyf79!

2 Likes