ST with Alarm systems (Abode, Nest)

Is anybody using ST in conjunction with one of the newer DIY alarm systems out there (i.e. Abode or the just-shipping Nest system)? I can get a big discount on home insurance if I have a ‘monitored’ system in place but it seems to me that those systems will want to take over my z-wave+ door/window sensors and then I won’t be able to see the sensors from SmartThings. Is that accurate? Is there a workaround?

I’m curious to know this as well. I’m moving into a new home and will be installing a new alarm system, so I’d really like to find one that integrates the best with ST. Adobe, Nest, SimpliSafe, etc.

rroonnbb - Here’s the info that I was told, and perhaps someone who knows more about this can chime in…

You’re correct - with most of these DIY alarms, you won’t be able to see their sensors in SmartThings. You would, essentially, need to put 2 sensors on every door - one for the alarm, and one for ST. ADT has partnered with Samsung and created a “Samsung SmartThings ADT Wireless Home Security” system. This system replaces the ST Hub that you have, and acts as its own ST Hub. Other than the alarm equipment, I’ve been told that you can pretty much pair, and control mostly all of the same things that you can with the regular ST Hub. Really, this seems like the best option. https://www.smartthings.com/home-security

The good: You still have an ST Hub (ADT Hub), with a DIY alarm system (sensors can all be viewed in the ST app), and you can continue to add all other z-wave and ZigBee sensors. The ADT/ST Hub has a cellular backup, like all other professional alarm systems, so you’re still good, in case the internet goes down.

The bad: ADT is by far the most expensive option. You’re looking at $35/mth for intrusion and smoke/co monitoring. Also, the hub only connects via wifi. This may just be a personal preference, but I want my hub to be hard-wired. The ST hub, and the ADT/ST hub are developed by different teams, so just because the ST Hub gets an update, doesn’t necessarily mean the other will.

Scout: Samsung works with Scout Alarm. Scout will professionally monitor your house, leaving you free to use whatever ST sensors you want. So for a lot people, who already have door, motion, glass break, smoke/co detectors, etc., you’ve pretty much already built your alarm system and now you just pay Scout a small fee to monitor it for you. The downside of this, however, is that your using your ST Hub as your “alarm portal”, when really it wasn’t built for that. So, for instance, there is no cellular backup. If someone cuts the internet to your house, there goes your monitoring.

Other Options: I’m pretty sure that some people here have figured out a way to integrate the SimpliSafe alarm into ST, but I’m not very sure how that works. For the Nest and Adobe options, you’d be limited to using their own app, to view the sensors, as far as I know.

If someone could add their knowledge to this topic, I would be very grateful, as I am in the same boat, and have no idea what to do.

1 Like

Great discussion!

• SafeMonit https://safemonit.com is a newcomer, launched in Beta (only for SmartThings at this time). My personal opinion is that it is way too early to trust them for monitoring. There’s very little information available - the website and company is mysterious.

• If SimpliSafe, etc., are attractive to you, I would consider “faking” a link between SmartThings and such systems via a Switch which de-activates a magnet against a SimpliSafe sensor, when SHM is triggered. To me, this is a completely “workable” hack between the ST and anything else; but … at your own risk.

Thanks guys - good info but sort of confirms what I’m finding as well. Wish it was someone other than ADT who was innovating a solution for this… have no great love of them based both on past experiences and general reputation.

Ultimately it feels like the real problem here is z-wave and the inability for more than one hub to read the status of those sensors. Is there any next-gen z-wave on the horizon that would remove this limitation? Or a bluetooth sensor solution? Basically feels like it’s just a matter of time before this issue goes away but I guess that’s always the case with tech :).

I wish these security hubs had the ability to re-broadcast a z-wave signal of any sensor they monitor… seems like that would be useful.

I think Samsung / SmartThings was wise to partner with THE industry leading name in home security. Entering the hybrid / crossover market was a big risk and challenge, and I think this approach was one of the bes options…

A 2017 survey found the ADT name had about 95% brand awareness, according to the company’s prospectus. It serves about 7.2 million residential and business customers and has the biggest sales, installation and service field force of any security company, supported by its roughly 18,000 employees.

oh I don’t disagree with Samsung’s business decision - just don’t like it for me, personally :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

More than just being able to monitor the sensors via the ST app, I’d like to be able to set routines to arm/disarm the alarm.

I.E. If I set my ST to away, it would be nice if that automatically armed the alarm. Or, if I come home, and enter my code into my smart lock, that would disarm the alarm. Integration like that would be REALLY nice.

Did you decide what you’re going to go? I’m just curious, as I’m trying to figure it out also haha

That why my hypothetical method would facilitate!

• You would keep SimpiSafe or Abode or whatever monitored security system you use, ARMED all the time.
  • You would only use one of the sensors from that monitored system.
  • You would use Smart Home Monitor (or another rule engine) of SmartThings to actually do the sensing of intrusions using only SmartThings connected Sensors. If SHM is ARMED and an intrusion is sensed, then this should trigger a Virtual Switch that triggers the single monitored product’s sensor (e.g., via an electromagnet, for example). Since the monitored product is always armed … it would then alarm.

Does this scenario make any sense? It sure seems feasible to me…