ST Multipurpose Sensor Offline (but reporting as normal)

My ST Multipurpose sensor shows as offline, however if I open the door it’s attached to it’ll immediately report as Open, same when it closes. I can poll it for temp and I get a current/accurate temp. This is the only device in my network experiencing issues at all. There are no 2.4Ghz wireless devices nearby, and no changes have been made to my network that would explain this device going offline.

I have 20 Zigbee devices (8 zwave) connected to my ST Hub. I’m fairly confident that my Zigbee network is pretty robust. There are 2 Zigbee devices in the same room as this ST sensor, and several within range, not to mention that this sensor in particular is likely in range of the ST hub directly.

Any ideas?

How many are NOT battery powered?

What does the IDE say that device’s routing looks like?

Thanks for the reply. 12 devices are plugged into the wall, as for routing it’s ST Sensor -> Wallplug -> ST Hub (PS, just learned that you can see routing in the IDE, VERY handy, thanks!).

1 Like

I’d start troubleshooting that leg. Of course, batteries - if you’re not powered. See if something’s up with that plug - such as, are any other devices using it as a repeater and if so are they also having issues? Possibly pull that wall plug or a while and see if your sensor hops to another repeater and if that makes it better - could take 20-30 mins. Just some thoughts. And yes it is INCREDIBLY handy.

See if something’s up with that plug - such as, are any other devices using it as a repeater and if so are they also having issues?

I don’t suppose there’s a way to see what devices are using it as a repeater without checking devices individually? I’m looking around now and can’t see.

That being said, i’m having zero issues with any other devices on the network, zigbee OR zwave.

Looking at the problematic device, I’m starting to see where the issue may lie;

• Last Hop LQI: 92
  • Last Hop RSSI: -77
  • Received Messages From Device: 4518
  • Received Messages From Device (Duplicates): 179
  • Messages Transmitted to Device: 523
  • Messages Transmitted to Device (Failures): 523
  • Updated Time: 2020-08-24 10:30 AM EDT

How I would go about troubleshooting this is another question altogether. I’ll try out your suggestion and power off the repeater it’s using and see if it’ll directly connect to the hub (there is however another repeater inbetween that it may grab first).

Scratch that… seeing similar errors on my other multipurpose sensors;

(Front Door)

• Last Hop LQI: 92
  • Last Hop RSSI: -77
  • Received Messages From Device: 4518
  • Received Messages From Device (Duplicates): 179
  • Messages Transmitted to Device: 523
  • Messages Transmitted to Device (Failures): 523

(Garage Door)

• Last Hop LQI: 96
  • Last Hop RSSI: -76
  • Received Messages From Device: 1938
  • Received Messages From Device (Duplicates): 20
  • Messages Transmitted to Device: 1928
  • Messages Transmitted to Device (Failures): 1216
1 Like

Seems as you’re down the path. Will be interesting to know what you find.

Well here’s the confusing thing… none of those devices are having any issues at all.

Anyways, after further investigation, anything connected directly to the ST hub has 0 errors. Anything connected to one of those Sonoff S31 plugs shows errors (but again, only this one ST Multipurpose sensor is having issues).

The only other wall-powered Zigbee repeater I have is Philips Hue Go that’s connected directly to the ST hub (no Hue Bridge). Unfortunately, the Hue Go doens’t have any devices connected to it that aren’t also connected to a Sonoff S31.

So, based on this what conclusions can I draw… Either the Sonoff S31 is trash and causes issues with devices connected to it OR Zigbee Device-to-Device routing sucks (which i’ve heard from friends, and why friends recco Zwave only).

Tl;dr I’ve learned a lot this morning yet feel like i’m no closer to an answer.

Well FWIW, I have Securify Peanut plugs for my Zigbee powered repeaters… (And they’re insanely cheap)

I’d either pull the plug and see if the problem goes away or possibly change it out for a securify?

Well, FWIW, I replaced a mulitpurpose sensor battery Newer version (IM6001-MPP) and then the LED start blinking green and red. I tried resetting by holding pin down for 5, 10, 20 seconds, held the pin in while replacing battery, no joy. THEN, I just went to ADD a device, from the hub home page on my android app, newest app, and it said pull the paper from the battery, added to same room it was in, I just waited, 20 seconds later, it popped up with the troubled sensor’s name, and at the bottom click Done. That was it for me, it’s added back.

I am having this same issue with a ZigBee sensor. I have [2] ZigBee repeaters in the path to my hub. I’ve tried to move my repeaters around to see if this would help with better communication but it still shows “offline”. When I open the door, the sensor updates and shows open. I close and it shows close. Within about 2 minutes the sensor then shows “offline”. I’ve re-added it to my hub but still having the same problem.

I noticed that it helps A LOT to move all your wifi devices from the 2.4 to 5gig network, any 2.4 devices that remain should be moved away from any zigbee devices if possible. Both Zigbee and 2.4g wireless share the same airspace and can cause issues.

That being said, it may not be (just) you. If you live in a densely populated area (I’m in a rowhouse/townhouse for example) you then have to contend with your neighbours 2.4Ghz networks.

Most of my wireless devices are connecting to my 5Ghz band of my router. I have it setup as 2 different networks (Network24, Network5). If I can have my device(s) wired then they are wired. I have all my router/AP setup so they are not having overlapping channels for 2.4Ghz(ch1,ch6,ch11). I have 4 repeating ZigBee nodes that those one sensor can latch onto. I’ve taken some repeaters down and still having an issue with it staying connected. I just started to have issues with it. I’ve had this sensor up and running without connectivity issues. I haven’t changed anything to my network or hub side. It has just randomly started to drop connection :frowning: I do show in IDE that it hopping from a ZigBee repeater. None of the other devices that are hoping from that repeater are dropping connection. Not really sure what to do here.

What I have noticed is that all devices connected through Samjin are off line including Samsung devices. Must be more to this.

I have updated the DTH for the sensor. I changed the minHubCoreVersion to the current firmware. I saved and published. I updated my sensor and this seems to have solved the issue. Device is running locally and hasn’t dropped connection.

I have updated the DTH for the sensor. I changed the minHubCoreVersion to the current firmware. I saved and published.

Got a guide anywhere? I’d like to try that out.

No but this didn’t solve the issue. It ended up dropping the connection again and went offline. I’ve removed the sensor and then added it back to my V3 hub. I tried to just place the sensor abour 2 feet from the hub and left it there for a little bit. The same results happened, within about 45 seconds the sensor went offline. I could make it report the correct state once it was tripped but it would go back to offline. I have the same sensor on my network that isn’t doing this. I may end up trying to rotate the sensors (1 is in the garage and 1 is for the front door). We will see if this solves anything.

Is there a way to get pinged by the app that your sensor is offline? Mine go offline a lot (@nathancu Nathan is helping me out in another thread and I got the parts to extend my zigbee mesh but haven’t tested yet). What’s frustrating is, the app doesn’t tell me. I just have to notice one day the cloud with a slash across it icon for the device. The old app told me with a app notification…

For what it’s worth my Zigbee issues have gone away. I bought a bunch of cheap Sonoff Zigbee smart plugs and they’ve given me a robust enough mesh to keep things online. Haven’t had anything go offline in months.

1 Like

Awesome feedback. I have some Zigbee smart plugs. I’ll see soon how it works. Next week is supposed to be rainy so a good time for me to tinker…