It took me a while to figure out the best method but thought I’d put the step by step here for anyone else now that I got it (at least with the current Harmony software).
Each time I add a new device to the SmartThings hub that I want to control through my Harmony remote, I do the following:
- Log into the harmony software on my computer.
- Choose the remote I’m adding the device to (if you have more than one Harmony remote)
- Select Devices on the left side
- Select the Home Control tab, then SmartThings
- Choose "Refresh/Re-Login
I needed to attach my remote through the USB and let it update
So far, the remote will only show two types of devices - sensors, lights and plugs. Except for sensors, everything I have added so far has defaulted to plug. In order to change the device type on the remote, I have only found this capability in the Harmony smartphone or tablet app.
To change the device type:
- Open the Menu and go to Harmony Setup
- Add/Edit Devices and Activities
From there you can expand the Plugs or Lights, choose the one you want and select what type of device you want it to show up as. Once you have changed the selection, it will show up under that tab from then on.
When you are done, the remote will need to be synced again to reflect the changes.
This may be remedial to a lot of the folks here but was hard won information for me!