[ST Edge] ONVIF-compliant IP Camera Motion Detection & Video Streaming - Testers Wanted!

Ok I will check but I configure the sub stream also and neither reolink or imou/dahua several models display any stream…

I will try again with your information and let you know the results

Thank you for your support and best regards

OK thanks for reporting!

tapo c100 not working. It doesn’t show up in camera group in settings.

Not sure what you mean. When you create a camera group, the camera can’t be added because it’s not listed?

Do you have a second camera to add?

Hi @fido
I was checking about the same issue fo video streaming not showing on TV with @TAustin and he has pointed me to your below post

What i cant understand, if @TAustin edge driver can show the video stream in ST app in mobile phone, why it couldnt show it in TV? I belive Samsung TV uses ST as platform which it should be the same?
Thanks

@TAustin video driver only enables playback in a camera group (May -June 2022)

It is not possible at present to show video for a singular device on its own device page

The Tv Smartthings app does not look for a camera group created on a phone, instead it looks for what the Smartthings servers offer it, the single device page which we know cannot produce playback for an Edge IP camera

The Tv app does reproduce the singular device tile for a camera and tries to stream the image but fails

However as the needed code/development is missing from both the phone app and smartthings back end there is nothing for the ST Tv camera device to show

The ST Tv app does indeed show a group of cameras but this is created by the ST Tv software, it is a combination of the camera devices found by the ST Tv software and NOT a reflection of the phone app camera group

In a nutshell, Edge drivers and there talented developers are offering/developing options not currently available in the Smartthings platform.

It is a shame that we cannot get playback on a single tile in the phone app and corresponding tile on the ST Tv app, for quite a few people it is a much desired option

It is available if using a c2c camera such as Nest *

• the ST Tv app recently no longer shows my Nest cam ? A mystery to me why it vanished
1 Like

Appreciate out of your control Tod and i am not 100% sure if the latest ST update is to blame

My Hik cam with audio no longer streams audio, the mic icon is missing from the stream image as well indicating audio is not present

I had changed nothing on the camera that would affect the audio stream

Have tried various audio options internally on camera inc AAC which i think Nest use with no luck

The Nest cam ST app integration plays back audio fine and from what i can find on the net it does use AAC

Be interesting to hear from anyone else to see if they have lost audio

Also of note
My Nest cam disappeared from the Tv ST app
Instaled through the Smartthings app are:
1 x Nest cam indoor
3 x Ext Hikvision cameras
At some point over the last week or so i found some Samsung advertising blurb and it mentioned up to 3 cameras can be used as CCTV on the Tv ST app which got me thinking
I deleted one of the Edge Cameras from my ST app and low and behold the Nest cam appeared on the ST Tv app

So anymore than 3 cameras and it appears the ST Tv app refuses to display/show the forth camera placeholder on the Tv, even IF 3 of the cameras are unable to grab a stream.

hi i dont have an ip camera but tried it with my wired cctv system the status says responding but not sure what that means is it possible to get motion notifications or am i barking up the wrong tree.
thanks
martin

I know that it would be useful to provide a database of ipcams tried and running. It would be useful for new purchases. With a cheap ipcam, you could have an ST-compatible ipcam that can be used on action tiles at the same time. A very difficult thing to have with cheap cameras.

It’s possible, but you’d have to check your camera documentation to see if it supports ONVIF.

A status of ‘Responding’ indicates that at a minimum, your camera responded to an ONVIF request for date/time. So that’s encouraging. From there, the driver tries to perform several more ONVIF requests to the camera, and if the camera conforms to the spec, you may be able to get a video stream or be able to get motion alerts.

You are the first to try this with this type of camera, so if you want to do some more diagnostics with it, we can start a direct message topic.

EDIT: I didn’t look at your image close enough - it looks like your camera does indeed support ONVIF; specifically profile G. The motion alert capability may be different from the other cameras we’ve been testing (Profile S and T), so we may need to run some logging to figure that out.

I’ve tried keep a list in the readme file on my Github, but not everyone has given me their camera make and models, so it may not be complete.

1 Like

TO ALL USERS/TESTERS OF THE EDGE ONVIF DRIVER:

A change by SmartThings has broken the motion event on/off switch in the driver. Some of you may have not noticed yet, but you may now have a broken cloud icon in place of the switch, or the switch may not be behaving correctly. Even if you don’t usually touch that switch, its on/off value is no longer working as before no matter what state you left it in. So if your driver restarts for whatever reason, your motion event subscription may not get restarted. If you have found that your motion events mysteriously stopped working, this is probably why.

To fix this, I have to release a NEW driver (existing devices can’t be fixed), and you will have to re-discover and re-configure your camera devices with this new driver.

On the other hand, if you are lucky, and things seems to still be working OK for you, then no immediate action is required, however I would recommend that at some point when it’s convenient, to go ahead and transition to the new driver, since all future updates will be made to that version.

I’ve made a couple other improvements to this driver to address some issues found. For example: there are typically two video configuration profiles returned by most cameras: one for mainstream, and a second one for substream. However if a camera returns more than two video profiles, then code has been added to scan them all to find a low resolution profile to use for substream.

These are the recommended steps for when you are ready to move to the new driver:

1. Take note of the device configuration settings you have set for each of your cameras, as well as routines you’ve created
  2. Delete all of your camera devices (excluding any virtual camera devices you had in camera groups)
  3. Uninstall the driver from your hub (use my test channel link or CLI)
  4. Install the new driver from the same test channel: ONVIF Video Camera V1.1, version 2022-07-05T18:39:13.098340457)
  5. In mobile device: Add device / Scan for nearby devices
  6. Reconfigure each of your discovered cameras and recreate your routines

The new driver will not discover your cameras unless you have deleted your current camera devices and removed the former driver, so it’s important you follow the sequence above.

Believe me, I know what a pain this is, but I did warn in the beginning that this could happen - not only as this driver was being developed, but as long as Edge is still in beta.

I appreciate everyone’s patience!

MANUAL Camera Device Discovery Option

If you are having problems getting an ONVIF camera found during the discovery process, there is an alternative way to get your camera device created in SmartThings using my manual ONVIF device creator. This is a separate driver and is available on the same test channel as ONVIF Manual Device Creator V1.1. Instructions for use are as follows:

Once this manual creation driver has been installed to your hub , do a Scan for nearby devices and you should find a new device called Manual ONVIF Cam Discovery V1.1 in your ‘No room assigned’ room.

Open the new device and enter an IP address of your camera (NOT one already running under the main ONVIF driver) and then tap the Create new device button. If all goes well, the Status field should go from ‘Responding’ then to ‘Transfer to ONVIF Driver’, and a new device should be created. If you get a ‘Not responding’ message, then the camera is not answering at the given IP address.

Do not try to update any device Settings at this point (such as userid and password).

Make sure you have the updated version of the main ONVIF V1.1 driver (version ** 2022-07-05T18:39:13.098340457**) before you do the next step.

Now you can transfer your manually-created camera device over to the ONVIF Video Camera V1.1 driver. Note: Sometimes it might take a minute or so for the Driver option to appear on the device menu since it’s a brand new device, so if it’s not there, just wait a bit and it should eventually appear. Then go ahead and transfer it.

At this point, you can now set your user and password in Settings, tap Refresh to initialize, and the camera device should now be operating normally.

1 Like

All working well again Tod, thank you for your continued development.

1 Like

Does anyone know if this works with any eufy cams? My one is the c24 outdoor cam with rtsp but not sure if it’s compatible with onvif or does anyone have any recommendations of cameras that still work really well with this integration? Also how fast are these to load up video feeds etc in the smartthings app?

Hi, @TAustin help me with it, pls.

I find my cam (IM3 - Intelbras), I set user and pass… but it not responding, it’s like a simultaneous connection and disconnection… Have I some else to set ?

Hi there. Not sure we’ve had your camera brand tested and working yet, so we may have some debugging to do. I don’t think it’s anything you are doing wrong, but it looks like during initialization, something is failing. This is usually due to some unexpected or out-of-spec response that the camera may be sending. I’m happy to diagnose this with you, but it will require you to install the CLI and get logging working. If you are up for it, please direct message me and we can start working on it.

2 Likes

For sure, I’ll send you soon.

Thanks for helping!

I’ve reolink camera RLC-410W.

I find my cam
, I set user and pass… but I don’t see any video!! Have I do something else??

Did you create a camera group?