ST-compatible RGBW LED Strip Controller Reviews (2023)

So, for future readers, I went for the Gledopto GL-C-007P which is the latest version of their “professional” line (the P at the end), for RGBW lights, appearing as a single light source (there are variations so they appear as two, one for RGB colour LEDs and one for white LED, search 2D Vs 1D).

To connect it up I purchased some cheap waterproof 2 pin LED power extension cables and 5 pin LED extension cables.

I cut the two pin power cables in half, there was a brown and blue wire, I connected brown to + on the unit and blue to -.

I connected the 5 pin extension lead in half and connected it thusly:

Cable Red → Gledopto R
Cable Yellow → Gledopto G
Cable Blue → Gledopto B
Cable White → Gledopto W
Cable Black → Gledopto V

Once that was done I could plug the 2 pin power plug into the plug that comes out of my transformer and the 5 pin LED plug into my first LED. It all seemed to work first time, paired straight away to SmartThings, all colours coming through correctly, warm and cool white working, brightness working.

It has only been 24 hours so far, but no disconnects or issues so far. These are already feeling a lot better than my previous WiFi controllers which I am sending back for a refund.

Going for the approach I went for of buying some cheap extension cables does add to the cost a small amount (I could have just cut off the ends of the existing cables which had plugs on), but I preferred the idea of leaving the transformer and lights in mint condition, means they could be returned and regardless of that, I preferred the idea of a non destructive installation.

1 Like

What are the LED strips you are using with this controller?

These:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/White-Decking-Lights-Waterproof-Controller/dp/B07MT9GG5H

I basically grabbed two of those, in the 30 quantity pack, and have each hooked up to a separate transformer and separate Gledopto GL-C-007P. It is for a large terrace (over 100 square meters) where there is decking at each end and an astroturf section in the middle, hence the requirements for a large number and the requirements for being waterproof.

You can note the Gledopto GL-C-007P isn’t waterproof, however, I have housed it in a waterproof junction box.

Just as an update, I have had a pair of Gledopto GL-C-007P for a few weeks now and not have any problems, they get used every day to turn the lights on and off, they always respond, they have never lost connection and just behave how you would expect them to. This is a stark contrast to the previous pair I had which constantly lost connection and had to be reset and were essentially useless. Initially, I missed the functionality of the previous ones which, via their own app, supported cycling different colours and going in sync with music, however, the colour cycling at least can easily be done by WebCore apps and works very well. I haven’t found anything which does the music syncing yet, but I haven’t searched particularly hard yet either.

1 Like

Hey Khaled_Qari… If you need more strips, you can always use a “repeater/amp” between the controller and strips to increase the amount of strips you can run. You can also tap off the RGB signal off the far end of an existing strip, and add the repeater/power supply to drive many more strips.

We have a unit that will allow an additional 300 watts (@ 12vdc) of strips or 600W @ 24vdc, You just need to pair the appropriate power supply to inject more juice for the additional strips…

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

This is very interesting. Couple of questions;

• Does a repeater also exist in RGBW format?
  • How about the other way? Single color repeater like this thats inline?
  • On the supply side does it just take 110V or is there still a transformer involved?

Hi Serg,

At the moment, this guy does 3 channels (RGB), There may be another available (I’ll check our MFG) for a 4 channel unit (RGB, W/WW) and report back…

This unit can be used as separate channels to do just one color - I do not recall seeing a unit that is just a single channel type amp/repeater…

As for the power, yes, there is a 12/24VDC input (along with the 3 RGB lines plus common) to amp/repeat the RGB signal. You would need the appropriate transformer (12/24VDC) and size it to drive however much additional RGB you are driving/installing.

Side Note (Unrelated): I have yet to finish reading this thread, however, I did notice some talking about outdoor/waterproof LED RGB strips. I’ll post appropriately under those replies, but we have a completely waterproof version which is rated for submersion to 1 meter (3.3ft). It’s rated IP68, however, it is not very cost effective for DIY type projects. We have a lot of commercial clients that generally use the IP68 strips.

Thanks much, and nice to be here! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@JDRoberts Is the GLEDOPTO the one to use for custom building a strip, since it’s officially supported by ST (assumption being that will continue past any changeover to Edge Drivers)?

I’m sorry, I don’t know. Just remember that at this point, with a very few exceptions (and Gledopto is not one), ST will only be providing generic Edge Drivers but with specific model fingerprints added if they have been tested for compatibility. Otherwise it’s up to the device manufacturer to create and maintain the integration.

Did you check the list of beta edge drivers created by ST to see if any gledopto devices are already there? Otherwise you can look for community-created drivers. There are links to both the stock list and the custom ones in the community-created wiki.

https://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section#Quick_Browse_Links_for_Edge_Drivers

Thanks – didn’t see it in the “stock drivers” list, but did find this:

Seems like the GLEDOPTO is the only game in town right now for ST strip lights…

I can confirm that Gledopto works perfect with that driver.
Just to be clear, use only Zigbee 3.0 PRO version. Response is instant, and even if I use Remote controller, it updates status in app instantly.
Other PLUS version, wirks well when you do all control from SmartThings. If you have Remote controller, it does not update status instantly, it takes some time…
This is PRO device

1 Like

1 and 2) Both Meross and Hue have strip lights that work well with smartthings, and both are already integrated to the new platform. But they aren’t connected directly to a smartthings hub. Both are available in multiple regions. These two also both also work with HomeKit.

Meross:

https://www.amazon.com/HomeKit-Compatible-SmartThings-Control-Changing/dp/B08ML9T8WJ

1. RGBGenie has a controller for dumb strips that can be joined to a hue bridge, so you get integration that way. It won’t work with HomeKit, but it should work fine with smartthings on a new platform.

Inovelli has a zwave strip on the US frequency that does connect directly to the hub. I think right now it is using a groovy DTH, but Inovelli has said they will provide edge drivers when needed.

https://inovelli.com/red-series-smart-led-strip/

1. Zooz has a zwave controller for dumb strips which again uses a groovy DTH right now, but they have said they are already working on the edge drivers.

So there are still quite a few choices even looking just at what will work once the groovy cloud is discontinued. :sunglasses:

My fingers are still crossed for a Fibaro RGBW edge controler from someone

3 Likes

Here’s my thinking on why I landed on GLEDOPTO:

1, 2), 3) are cloud integrations
4) the strips are very awkwardly sized and limited
5) “working on it” but at the bottom of the list …

1 Like

SmartThings built one

1 Like

Is it a full Fibaro controler Jimmy ? The Fibaros have many special features and options, I doubt an ST version will have full control of all options

Though having read through the finger prints, indeed Fibaro is mentioned… hmm :thinking:

It looks like it supports all the normal capabilities including power meter, but I don’t see any of the configuration settings added.

Shame, not really of any use except for basic control, I almost got excited then , close but no cigar and of no use to Fibaro owners

At the moment I wouldn’t recommend anyone use them for lack of ST integration BUT if it happened and proper integration became a thing then it would be the defacto go to controler

Hue offers both a cloud to cloud integration (used if you don’t have a Smartthings Hub) and a local LAN integration (used if you do have a smartthings/Aeotec hub). So it’s One of the rare integrations other than Zwave or zigbee which currently runs local. :sunglasses:

Also, Meross is capable of running without its cloud (that’s how it does HomeKit), so it seems likely that once smartthings has Matter support, Meross will also be available locally, but of course, no promises, and that’s at least a year off.

But for now, devices attached to a hue bridge are definitely an option. So that would include RGBGenie as well. :sunglasses:

I assume by the Pro version you are referring to the black one GLC-008P?

I noticed this new GLC-001P Pro version they are now promoting – seems to have a lot of options, settable for different types of strips, and settable behavior when you power it on. Is it likely that it uses the same ST edge driver?