ST Classic after Nov 15 update - Presence no longer works, icons missing, app crashes

I have 2.18.1 since couple days ago. Than app gets updated again to 2.18.1. Probably something is different.

I have the exact same issue and notified support and was given a BS answer as well.

Reluctantly updated to 2.18.1. Icons still missing. Presence works but then thinks I left when I didnā€™t, so lights will come on when I get home for about a minute, then turn right back off.

Everyone,
backing out to the older version 2.17 works. I donā€™t know about presence but you get your icons back. Iā€™m not an expert on smarttings but Iā€™m a computer engineer and know more than the average person about Android. I think the reason you see some people saying that their icons/presence stopped working on their phone but not others in their household is because this is a Android 10 problem especially the latest updates to Android 10 (which if you have a Pixel means you definitely have the latest). Google is rolling out a new feature called ā€œScoped Storageā€. This silos applications permissions to write or read just any storage it wants. i.e. if an application needs permission for storage but it is only to write pics or docs, then it no longer has a carte blanche access to storage it can only read/write to the area where say pics are stored. This is messing up a lot of developers apps because they didnā€™t have their app ready in time and Google apparently is not waiting ā€¦

This is what worked for me although it doesnā€™t make sense.

My issue. Around Nov 15th all mobile precense stopped. Fobs continued to work. I uninstalled the app completely from my Pixel. Waited 4 days. Reinstalled Classic. Logged in. Gave all permissions requests the thumbs up to run persistent in the background for no battery optimization and location access. Immediatelyā€¦ And this is the strange partā€¦ Both my wife and my phones registered precense. Why replacing my app affected my wifeā€™s presence Iā€™ll never know.

Now the remaining issues that linger are my devices donā€™t show up unless I click back and forth into other screens and various buttons in devices donā€™t render. Example is my Ecobee shows the temp settings but not the arrows to go up and down. The buttons work but I have to guess what to press.

Iā€™ve used the new ST app before. Iā€™m reluctant to upgrade as it did not handle automation as well as classic. The If then else process was nowhere near as effective.

Iā€™m having all kinds of presence issues in the last week. My classic app is version 2.18.1 and still having issues, and not just with the built-in presence sensor.

For presence, I use the built-in sensor, Life360 and the Webcore presence sensor. When 1 changes, it sets a virtual presence sensor which triggers home and away automations. All 3 apps are constantly showing as leaving and arriving at random and at different times. For example this morning the built-in presence sensor said I left at 6:15, Webcore says I left at 8:04 and Life360 says I left at 8:14. In reality I left at 8:30.

This morning after my Life360 sensor showed me as away at 8:14, I opened the Life360 app and it showed I had been home since 9:30pm last night and hadnā€™t moved. So the issue is clearly on the smartthings side.

Read my previous post. You have a Pixelā€¦

If you are running the latest and greatest Android 10 (Pixel & Nexus users) I believe the issue is with the new ā€œstorage scopingā€ feature that Google is rolling out. Downgrading back to 2.17 fixes the missing Icons and crashing issues. I donā€™t use ā€œpresenceā€. Would somebody having the ā€œpresenceā€ issue please downgrade to 2.17 and report whether that fixes the presence issue please?

Itā€™s been confirmed repeatedly in the thread linked above that downgrading does address all three problem categories.

1 Like

Donā€™t get SNARKY with me dude! Iā€™m just trying to help people on this thread and only reading this thread. i didnā€™t follow any links, I only followed this thread, and was able to downgrade and fix the missing icons issue, but noticed people were still posting issues with ā€œpresenceā€. So why donā€™t you take some of that attitude and use your energy directing those people in the right direction. Have a nice dayā€¦

I do not. Iā€™ve got a Huawei, and using Android 9. Iā€™ll give the downgrade a shot

Iā€™ve two Pixel 2ā€™s on Android 10. The update of the Classic app to 2.18.0 broke presence, crashed a lot, and messed up icons. I tested an older Nexus 5, same issues. I added presence using the new app, didnā€™t work. I deleted presence created by classic app, recreated presence with the new app, still didnā€™t work. Rolled back to 2.17 until the update. Rolling back fixed all issues.

Once available, I updated classic to 2.18.1. The update fixed the classic app crashing issues for all phones and presence issues for both classic and new app. Icon issues persist. Not sure why others are still having presence issues with 2.18.1, but the update did fix it for at least a few phones running Android 10.

1 Like