[SOLVED] Android reporting incorrect presence after wireless router or home location change

Ya I dunno. You have read from some how unreliable it is and doesn’t work for some and others, they don’t have any issues, in many threads out on the community. I personally use Android, with a single mobile phone setup, and no other integrations with it and mine works pretty reliably. One thing to check as it was stated earlier, make sure that both phones have High Accuracy turned on for Location Services. In Android we have other things to consider like App optimization that may or may not affect things and app permissions, not sure if there are equivalent settings in iOS. I was looking at another thread from '16 ( I will post below). I will also post a Test that you could setup to determine if it’s a SmartThings issue or specific to the phone(s). The other thread did mention separate accounts for each phone, so I’m not sure what others have experienced around that. Take a look at the other thread and if you can’t find a viable solution setup the quick test scenario at the bottom.

Test Scenario:

Taking ST completely out of the equation, setup two Applets in IFTTT:

Trigger Service = Location
Action Service = Email, GMail, or Notifications

For simplicity sake, just test from your phone right now.

Go into IFTTT and create two Applets:

1. Select Location for Trigger, Select “You enter an area” and adjust the perimeter to the same size you set in ST. Then select an Action service to send you an email or notification “Your phone has entered the perimeter”.

2 Select Location for Trigger, Select “You exit an area” and adjust the perimeter to the same size you set in ST. Then select an Action service to send you an email or notification “Your phone has left the building”.

If you start receiving messages that you have exited the perimeter when you never left home or multiple entered the perimeter messages via IFTTT (same as ST) this could be an indication that it’s phone related. Leave the Presence setup alone in ST. I would figure that if it’s a phone issue, you would receive one message or push notification from ST and one message from IFTTT around the same time.

Just a thought at trying to help in determining, eliminate or include the source of where the issue might stem from.

1 Like