Soffit rgbw strip lighting advice (UK)

Things are moving along, now received the fib rgbw switch, 10 lengths of ally track and 10 mtr of rgbw led external , still waiting for the power supply and the full kit for the kitchen

The porch ceiling is under construction now with a purpose built box built above the ceiling to house the electrics and cabling with a removable panel for easy access

guys when connecting the fib to the rgbw strips i understand green to green red to red and so on but i am not sure about the + connection on the rgbw strip, the instructions with the fib show power from the 12v source to the fib 12v and also that same connection gets split to the + connection on the strip ! is this correct and what i need to be doing or do i ignore the + connection on the strip and simply connect colour to colour
EDIT
just seen a youtube video and i see it needs 12v out from fib to + on rgbw strip. i understand now

Up and running at long last, i had to build out the porch ceiling first so things took longer than expected but finally i have 2 strips on the ceiling and working, no issues connecting to the dh found in the ide either. Cobra do you have any fancy pants code writen up for the fib ? Would be great if there was a user selected colour flash if something else happens. Ie my virtual switch switching on.

I have a couple of smartapps I wrote to use the dth by @codersaur

You are welcome to try them :slight_smile:

Popped outside to grab a quick shot caught it on red20171120_184808

Brilliant!

Now you need some way to trip a colour change when people walk up to the door
I use a really cheap ‘break beam’ setup I got from China connected to a fibaro contact sensor and a little app I wrote
The app also uses a contact sensor on the door so it goes from dim to bright when I open the door or someone walks up

Nuu nu nuu. You already wrote the app i currently use which is the voltage change from the wall plug, that triggers a virtual switch which in turn triggers sonos to announce a presence… if you ever feel like adding a few fibaro options in that app it would be awsome. Things like the in built Police flash or colour selection :grin:

You can use what I already wrote and trigger it from the same virtual switch

When i sit at my pc next i will Cobra. :grin:

Buga… i knew something would break if i moved to a different app. Installed the fib rgbw code u linked too, all up and running except smartthings now cant find the fib rgbw, looks like i have to reset it.

I’ve swapped the dth a few times and didn’t have to reset anything… strange
You dont need to remove it to change the dth

Been a bit of a nightmare getting reconnected and no matter what i did the codesaur extended dth refused to connect, even using an iphone to select done in settings as i use droid… nothing

So i installed after removing the above all the other versions of rgbw control and found the fibaro version reconnected as it was before so i am back in control of the leds but without the fancy bits i wanted to try

Maybe i am missing a trick when adding a new dth but what i have no idea

I think when I did it I just joined it as a normal RGBW then added the DTH to my account… then just edited the device and changed the DTH to the codesaur one

I have since joined another Fibaro - can’t remember how that was picked up but if it wasn’t already I just set it to the new DTH

EDIT: You might need to reset the Fibaro if you deleted it without removing correctly through the app.

Ahhh i see… will try that later. Damn annoyed i didnt do it that way to start with… its an age thing

Ok dokey cobra it worked :grin: hazaaa

If you fancy pushing me in the direction of what i need to do to get the lights to fade up on movement and back down if possible… im all ears

So far i am using smartlighting to fade up to 100% on movement but there is no - go back to previous setting after set time out

No no its all good. Using your smart app just took a bit of faffing cutting and pasting using a phone… all good many thanks Cobra :grin:

Side affect
Movement detected
Sonos anounces someone is outside
Security light fires up
Led lights flash Police setting
Dogs go mad … sounds good but in reality im getting moaned at by the Mrs… still, it all works so im happy :grin:
Tbh i just say… not my fault, Cobra made me :sunglasses:

Funnily enough… I have an app for that! :slight_smile:

https://github.com/CobraVmax/SmartThings/blob/master/smartapps/cobra/fibaro-bright-dim-switch-custom-colours.src/fibaro-bright-dim-switch-custom-colours.groovy

Cobra, im struggling a bit to achieve what i would like with your apps, most probably my miss understanding somewhere
I have a virtual switch that switches on if power is detected
The led strips use the smartthings smart lighting sunset sunrise on off but tbh its a bit limited as i cant select any of the in built colour fades but for now thats whats used
Your apps allow things to happen using a v switch which is great but i need to be able to go back to the original led on state after your app triggers

In reality i need an app that has st on off options with colour or mode selection as the no1 part
No2 part. if v switch power on detected change led state to user defined colour or in built mode
No3 part if v switch power off return led to no1 or user defined mode

So basicaly leds come on at sunset on deep fade, movement triggers v switch on, which triggers leds to bright white, when v switch returns to off state leds go back to deep fade - as example

If your great apps do that already im just not understanding how to quite do it right

Just sorted your fibaro colour switch and am using another device which has sunrise sunset as trigger to switch on and off led with deep fade

Just need to change that to bright white whilst power is at v switch and back to deep fade if power off at v switch

Ok… let’s see if I have this right…

1. App active between sunset & sunrise (or between sunset and say 2am - you need to let me know)
  2. Rgbw starts off a colour or sequence (e.g. DEEP Fade or Police or custom colour) Turning on at sunset.
  3. Virtual Switch turns on once movement detected (via your other app)
  4. Rgbw changes to bright custom colour or white or something
  5. Switch turns off because movement stopped.
  6. Rgbw returns to previous colour or sequence

The existing apps that I have could probably do this but it would be messy and you would need to use a few of them together along with smart lighting

If you can confirm that this is how it should work then I can probably write something that would be a little cleaner
Let me know and I’ll have a look to see what I can do

Edit:
7. Use an optional contact switch in the door to set the lights bright if you open it
8. After a configurable time… say 2 minutes after the door is closed, lights go back to dim/previous program

The top part of the post above is spot on Cobra

New
Leds on off at user configurable setting, ie sunrise, sunset, time, even other switch state, if a bright level could be set at on point as well fabtastic

Existing already in use
Movement detect, your energy app trips a v switch in St

New
Above v switch power detection causes user defined state change to leds (colours,modes even bright level)

Existing already in use
V switch auto returns to off state due to movement sensor time out

New
Leds return to original on state

Your optional additions always make apps more flexible, i use an outside dumb movement sensor but adding software options for other things is usefull for future

already in use
dumb pir and 30w led security light powered via wall plug 24/7 between wall and security light plug is a st connected greenwave power node that monitors power consumption
the dumb pir has its own on off lux movement sensor, as the lux drops it becomes active and if it detects movement it draws current from the plug which has the greenwave power node connected
you wrote the app so that if power goes above the dumb pir sleep state( configurable) it would trigger an announce and trip a v switch in st that I have labelled ( front light On/off) this works perfectly, on movement after dark the security light lights up, St shows front light on and I get a voice in Sonos saying ( someone is outside ) and the dogs now start barking because they have cottoned on
with a simple addition of a st plug and your app we have made a dumb pir smart and a first class security system

New
The addition of more lights ( my Leds ) makes for more security at my front door, they are on from sunset to sunrise as a nice external affect but could be used in conjunction with the main security light to go from 50% bright colour change affect to 100% bright white or Police or whatever, probably white as the wife moans about the Police version( More leds now planned along the front )

When the PIR no longer detects movement the Leds simply go back to there 50% bight colour change affect and all is well again in the world

thinking about it Cobra, you could edit your existing ( Power speak v1.1.0) and add a couple more options for colour/mode choice under ( Turn on this indicator Switch ), so if the leds are selected there options are exposed, would need to add return to original state somewhere when off as well and how a sunrise sunset would affect it also needs consideration I suppose

MJ
I think I just need to add a few bits to my Dim/Bright app that I posted earlier.

This already has the ability to set 2 levels dependent upon a switch (e.g. the Virtual one you already use in the PowerSpeak app)
If I add sunrise/sunset and a few other bit to this, I think it should work for your use case.
I’ll see if I can do something today/tomorrow

Andy