SmartTiles v5.8: Deployed to Blue & Green Editions. Release notes, etc. (follow this Topic for updates...)

Thanks for the nudge in the right direction. A very quick search pulls up lots of info on Spotify linking. They talk a lot about something called a URI (not URL). One of their URI links looks something like this:

spotify:artist:44gRHbEm4Uqa0ykW0rDTNk

Does that look like something that would work with in SmartTiles?

A different version of that same link also looks like this:

http://open.spotify.com/track/7D88UPDgOxn32w8gqBcCWv

It looks like you get those types of links for a playlist as wellā€¦ which would work for the wife if it can be tied to a Tile.

I feel Like Iā€™m a little late to the partyā€¦ Great Stuff here! Iā€™ve been avoiding work to play with this :wink:
However, I cannot seem to get the weather tile enabled. it says "you canā€™t currently add this."
Iā€™m using the latest SmartWeather Station Tile 2.0 from Github but no diceā€¦ Thoughts?

Unfortunately, only the original SmartWeather Station Tile (that is built-into SmartThings) is compatible.

You do not need source code; just use the API/IDE and create a My Device and select the Type from the dropdown menu.

1 Like

Thank you Sir :thumbsup:

1 Like

This morning I installed SmartTiles on my android phone and Iā€™ve been able to add tiles for my limited devices, as well as a weather tile (what source does that use to get the weather info?). What I canā€™t seem to find is how to add the Link Tle/Web URL Tile you mention above to see if I can get a ā€œSpotifyā€ tile. Where do I find or add that type of tile?

Itā€™s under ā€œMore Tiles >ā€ / ā€œLinks to other websites >ā€.

Thanks, that was too easy.

I was able to get a Tile to link to and open the Spotify web player to my selected playlist (it has to open to a playlist, not just the page showing your playlists). Here is how to do it:

1. In a web browser, navigate to play.spotify.com and login with your Spotify account.
  2. Click on Your Music on the right hand menu.
  3. Right click on the name of the playlist you would like to link the Tile to and select ā€œCopy Spotify URLā€.
  4. In the SmartTiles SmartApp, navigate to the Dashboard you want to place this Tile on.
  5. Select ā€œMore Tilesā€, then ā€œLinks to other websitesā€ at the bottom.
  6. Enter in a title for the Tile and then paste the URL you copied in step 3 into the URL field.
  7. In the ST app, click ā€œDoneā€ until you exit out of the SmartTiles SmartApp.
  8. When you refresh your SmartTiles dashboard, you should now see the new Tile that will open the Spotify web player to your selected playlist.

Iā€™m not sure if this will work with the free version of Spotify (Iā€™m on a family plan).

On my Android phone, when I click the Spotify Tile that I made, it actually opens up the Spotify App on my phone, not their web player in the browser.

I hope this helps someone else out there.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve also managed to get my familyā€™s Google Calendar to link to a tile. However, clicking on that tile cause it to open in the current browser window/tab. This of course causes you to lose your Dashboard. Is there a way to have the Tile open in a new Tab?

In ActionTiles this is the new default.

Sorry, but where do I find the Action Tiles?

Not released yet. Itā€™s the next version of SmartTiles. Thereā€™s no release date before you ask.

1 Like

Okay, thanks.

1 Like

So what cameras do most of you use so that you have a live feed displayed on your SmartTiles dashboard? Iā€™m looking for a different solution (Iā€™m running blink cameras now) for my front porch/door camera and would really like to have SmartTiles display a live feed from it.

@Nezmo or @tgauchat , are there any major changes in v6 that effect camera selection? Iā€™d hate to drop a Benjamin or two on a camera now to only have it not work in v6. Thanks for any insight into this.

Cameras should work essentially the same in ActionTiles as SmartTiles, but no guarantees.

If you want to be absolutely sure, I have to recommend waiting until you can test the camera within its return period.

Sound reasoning, but without a release date for v6, I canā€™t make an informed decision as to if that is viable or not. Not trying to fish or push for a release estimate, but if it could be many months, thatā€™s not really an option.

Not ideal, but I can live with buying a camera now that might not work in v6 7-8+ months from nowā€¦ but it would suck to buy one now and have it become obsolete for my needs in a month or two.

Which brings up the other part of my question, what cameras are folks using and liking right now?

1 Like

I totally understand, and thatā€™s quite true.

(And ā€¦ weā€™re definitely within ā€œweeksā€, not ā€œmonthsā€). Seriously: if our release date drags out to months, @625alex and I are going to go insane, and thatā€™s not good for anybody! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Have you checked out this section yet? I personally have Foscam and Amcrest cameras working in Smarttiles.

1 Like

Honestly, I cannot remember. I think it cleared itself up. I may have gone back to the setup page and re-saved it.

1 Like

I fixed it by removing and redoing it all. Thanks!

1 Like

@tgauchat will you be posting here when ActionTiles is released?