SmartTiles Dashboard v5.6.1: New features (SHM), Bug Fixes, Diagnostics - Dec 11, 2015

That makes sense - but is still a shame for me… but I think I can modify the device get it to work using standard capabilities - emulating a momentary switch or something. I’ll let you know - this is what is going on though:

There are a few devices that I have made which are themselves virtual devices and have a hardcoded smartapp sitting behind them waiting for events to happen in the device (I have thought about not hardcoding it but it seemed like a lot of effort and I’m not sure how many people would benefit from me making it more flexible). There are 2 main types of device:

1. Remote controls
  2. Sequence automations
  1. The remote controls are basically per real device (projector, AV receiver, Bluray Player etc) and I’ve laid out the device in the smartthings app to look like a control (see below). When any of the buttons are pressed, a custom smartapp that I have made sends the corresponding command to an itach wifi2IR device thus creating virtual remotes for all my devices.

This is the "Entertainment Centre control (Denon AVR2000):

1. The sequence automations exist because although its great to be able to control each device (remotes + all other things connected to Smartthings) the reality is that to perform some tasks, lots of devices need to be switched on / off and settings entered. So rather than going into the smartthings app and one by one doing this I’ve made sequences. For e.g. to watch something on my nexus player I’d have to: 1. turn on the power to all media devices, 2. dim the lights, 3. roll down the blinds, 4. turn on the projector, 5. turn on the av receiver, 6. switch AV receiver to Nexus Player input, 7. roll down projector screen. - So rather than doing all this I have a device with buttons that just do the whole sequence with the correct delays in between (all hardcoded in the corresponding Smartapp). See below:

So those are the devices - and what I basically need is to have a tile that can activate some of the sequence automations and also some of the individual remote buttons. I guess a virtual momentary button would work? Only issue is my smartthhings app will then be cluttered with virtual devices that are there to control virtual devices! I suppose I could just create a fake virtual room for them and shove them all in there in the app.

1 Like

Reading this makes me wonder, how do you feel about Rule Machine? Being able to see a rules truth could be a unique way to verify rules are working well. Maybe I am over thinking it but with such a well liked app having a chunk of it in another great community tool just seems logical!

I created a little helper SmartApp for this purpose:
https://github.com/625alex/SmartThings/blob/master/apps/PushToGet.groovy

You can add a Virtual Momentary Button tiles and have them trigger REST hooks in your custom SmartApp.

Alternatively, since you are hard-coding anyway, have a number of Virtual Momentary Buttons an inputs directly in your SmartApp and then add the these buttons to the dashboard.

This functionality is mean for Routines, which are already compatible with SmartTiles, but standard routines don’t support delays, but you should be able to delegate at least some of the custom functionality to Routines.

1 Like

It was working but now I keep getting
{“error”:true,“type”:“java.lang.ClassCastException”,“message”:“An unexpected error occurred.”}

Any clue? Using v5.6.0-US+051

Please turn on “Debug” or even “Trace” Logging Level in the configuration for the dashboard, watch Live Logging, and send to us: Support@SmartTiles.click

• Log Level setting (for diagnostic output to IDE Live Logging US or UK added under “Preferences” (defaults to “Error” only).

Is there anyway to show air quality (Get this from my Netatmo connection). Also what about Smoke Detectors (aka Nest Protect)? Thanks for a great app just getting started with this, but will have a donation going your way shortly.

Thanks,
Matthew

1 Like

Unlike SmartThings, SmartTiles doesn’t have direct access to the “metadata{}” section of the Device Type Handlers which are used to describe arbitrary UIs for any arbitrary Device Type.

So SmartTiles has to be coded specifically for each Capability.

Smoke and others are on our todo list; but most resources are focused on the overhaul development… Version 6.

Fantastic thank you!

1 Like

I have quite a lot of other queries now!

1. Is it possible to do custom layouts? (rather than each device one after another)
  2. is it possible to set the size of each tile individually?
  3. is it possible to add blank tiles?
  4. is it possible to add tile that doesn’t link to a device but contains custom text (for the purposes of explaining stuff to people looking at the page)
  5. Is it possible to set a custom name for a tile that is not the exact device name?
1 Like

1 - Maybe.
2-5 - Yes, but not easily.

All tiles and their properties are CSS addressable. You could mock any layout with blank tiles. You could mock blank tiles with dummy link tiles.

These are just hints and theory. In practice, it would be very difficult to accomplish this, unless you really want it. Unfortunately we don’t have the resources to walk you all the way through this. Some useful information could be found here:

1 Like

Keep in mind that SmartTiles Version 5.x is really just a “proof-of-concept / prototype” application – really!!!

Version 6 (“V6”?) is under development (no release date, don’t-ask-thank-you-very-much)

We are keeping the best parts – i.e., the concept of browser based, flat, fast, and simple; while reworking the entire back-end for performance efficiency and cleaner and more granular approaches to security.

This new framework will be the foundation for considering all future feature requests. The ideas you have are great … and some have already gone through consideration and might even slip into some of the early releases. Others are going to take longer or may be rejected in favor of higher value ones or alternative approaches.

Thanks for your input and enthusiasm! :fireworks:

1 Like

Fairly new to SmartThings and even newer to SmartTiles, but be enjoying it quite a bit so far.

I do have a quick question. I’ve got a fan connected to a GE Fan Controller switch and a custom device by ChadCK to control the fan inside of SmartThings (removes the sliders and replaces with Low/Med/High buttons — much much better device). The problem I’m running into is no matter how I add the switch to SmartTiles, I can’t get the tile to turn the fan on and controlling speed is extremely hit or miss. The fan does turn off using the button inside of SmartTiles but not back on. Does anyone have any tips for how to get this to work (and additionally if there is an easier way to control the speeds.

Thanks!

1 Like

I’d be tempted to go as far as creating up to 5 Virtual Momentary in SmartThings, and use a linking SmartApp which sets a distinct one for on/off/low/med/high.

But there are alternatives following the same concept. For example, you could use a Virtual Dimmer Switch instead – on, off are obvious, and the dimming slider could map (10-30)% = low, (40-70)% = med, (80-100%) = high. Actually… this is the cleaner of the two ideas, … right?

(Switches in SmartTiles are a little dependant on the reliability of State reporting from the Switch so that they can toggle on and off … but so is the basic on/off Tile in SmartThings own app, I suppose.)

Thanks for the info. As I get switches installed this app will definitely help with the wife approval.

1 Like

Thanks for the work- Love SmartTiles- going to invest in an android tablet and mount it in place of the old house alarm.

My question is: Is it possible to display a notification when security has been breeched?

No, to our knowledge it’s not possible with the current API. We are following the API changes and will certainly try to implement this feature when possible.

1 Like

Awesome stuff AdamV - kind of "a programmable multidevice remote control"
Really cool and surely lots of WAF.

lots of WAF - that was the idea!

Mod- please delete post.

So, I noticed the same thing as @Spinny did (he mentioned it in the v5.5 thread…SmartTiles Dashboard v5.5: Added UK :uk:, 5 × Dashboards, and more! Nov 6, 2015 ) about the multisensor open/close events not showing today in the SmartTiles event history. Yesterday they showed. I have both vibration/acceleration & contact set in my dashboard. In fact, I have all four multisensor tiles on my dashboard. The contact sensor tile shows open and closed when applicable on the SmartTiles dashboard itself, it just doesn’t register in the event history. Also as @Spinny stated, the open/close events show when you look at the sensor’s recent activity directly. The temperature and vibration events are shown in SmartTiles history, just not the open/close events.

My log level is set to INFO. I tried the other four options as well, but nothing changed.