SmartTiles Dashboard v5.6.1: New features (SHM), Bug Fixes, Diagnostics - Dec 11, 2015

Not sure if this has been requested - can you automatically include a link to all installed dashboards on each dashboard? Currently, it seems that one has to manually copy the child dashboard url and add links to all the child dashboards.

1 Like

I’m not sure if it’s possible, but certainly an interesting request!

2 Likes

Great product! Question and it is not totally related to SmartTiles. I have a link in SmartTiles to my Roomie Remote (now Simple Controls) that is roomie//: as the address that always me to launch Roomie Remote from SmartTiles. Are there other shortcuts like this for iOS and Android that anyone is aware of that can be used to launch apps from within SmartTiles? Thanks!

2 Likes

I’m happy that SmartThings wants us to stop accepting donations. This can only mean that they are about to add us the the payroll! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

About 10% of estimated SmartTiles users donate for the cause. Neither of the donors is affiliated with SmartThings, who has no problem using SmartTiles in promotional materials or recommending it to the clients.

The donations help to pay for hardware (I used the first $200 to buy a connected thermostat to test the integration), hosting and upcoming expenses for services that we require in order to supplement the lacking ST infrastructure. In addition for the thousand+ men hours invested in this project (despite all common sense and logic), these out of pocket expenses do pile up over the year.

So thank you, the generous SmartTiles users, for your continual support!

5 Likes

I came across this cool Alexa browser integration. It would be cool to be able to add this as a tile in SmartTiles. It would be limited to WebRTC-complaint browsers only but that should cover Android tablets, which I assume are a large percentage of where SmartTiles is used.

http://sammachin.com/hacks-and-projects/alexa-in-the-browser/

1 Like

I’ve not been able to get it to work on my Nexus 9…

I’m new to SmartThings but I installed SmartTiles and think its very nice. I’m wondering if there is any quick way from within the app to get to the SmartTiles dashboard (without going out to a browser).

1 Like

There’s a way, but no “quick way”. You can go into the SmartApp Configuration pages, open the Child Dashboard and “View Dashboard”… But that’s a lot of clicks.

Future versions of SmartThings are rumored to have more ability to embed HTML elements and pages… that will do the trick… Eventually!

Do you frequently need to move from the SmartThings App to SmartTiles and back? Why?

Just to report - My Live MJPEG stream tile has completely gone now? I’ve checked the setting in the SMARTAPP and saved it again, but it never loads now.

Not from within the app but you can create a shortcut/bookmark on both Android and IOS devices directly to the Tiles webpage from your homescreen on your device. It just requires a single click which launches a browser to the tiles page you linked.

1 Like

In your SmartApp preferences, make sure that the URL for the video tile starts with http, all low case. We are aware of this and a fix is pending.

2 Likes

Very good! Worked a charm!

1 Like

Thanks for the answer. No, I don’t need to go back and forth, but I was just experimenting with it… I’m still using ST directly for things.

@fstbusa Yes, that’s what I’ve done.

1 Like

Hi team,

Thanks for yet another great update.

I am having difficulty accessing the CSS & List pages directly and am getting a HTTP Status 500 - Cannot get property ‘authentication’ on null object Apache Tomcat error… I am connecting via the eu01-euwest1 SmartThings server (UK) and wonder if this has anything to do with things?

Let me know if you need any further detail.

Thanks,
Ant

1 Like

Send me your full Dashboard / Application ID URI to Support@SmartTiles.click and I’ll poke around a bit see if the message makes any sense, or start a conversation.

The Apache Tomcat error means that you’re not hitting a known SmartApp installation instance ID – usually… so the server is finding nothing to connect to…

Hi Terry,

Just retried to make sure the link i was about to send you was still not working - i created a brand new dashboard too just to check that as well and now all is working. Not sure if it was just me being stupid or creating a brand new dashboard that sorted it but either way all is good now :smile:

Thanks,
Ant

1 Like

I haven’t tried it on a tablet yet. Were you using Chrome or another browser? Only Chrome and Firefox support WebRTC (although their support is slightly different).

If I wanted to make a tile for a custom device that uses a custom device type that I have made - how would i do it?

1 Like

Yup… Nexus 9, Android M, Chrome. It “Listens”, but always fails back to “red circle”. Haven’t tried debugging… Maybe it’s just a small problem.

SmartTiles (at least until future versions), is designed to work for the most popular official SmartThings “Capabilities” only … with a few exceptions. It does not use (it cannot use) the Device Type definition language (i.e., the “metadata{}” section that lets the SmartThings native app incorporate arbitrary custom devices.

Thus, SmartTiles retains simplicity at the cost of some of the extensibility of SmartThings’s App.

Our general recommendation is try to alias your Device Attributes and Commands to standard Capabilities, either inside the Device Type Handler, or with a Virtual Device.

Can you tell me more about the “custom device type” that you have made?

If the custom device is likely to be popular, then we may be inclined to consider what type of custom tiles for SmartTiles might be worth developing.

We hope to make the next major version (“V6” – no planned release date!), somewhat more flexible in this regard, but probably not in the first few revisions. SmartTiles has to serve the greatest number of average users first, before customizations.

1 Like