SmartTiles Dashboard v5.5: Added UK šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§, 5 Ɨ Dashboards, and more! Nov 6, 2015

Amazon Echo added this several months ago (along with Commute Time estimates, etc.) ā€¦ extending the position of the Echo as a ā€œhub of informationā€ ā€¦ so your idea is intriguing.

The thing is that SmartTiles will often be run on a Tablet (or phone) with an OS that already supports multiple Apps (like Calendars, Maps, etc.), and, in the case of Android M, for example, ā€œGoogle Nowā€ integration is, well, now ubiquitous throughout. It takes only a couple of swipes / taps to bring up the most relevant calendar, commute time, or weather information, based on your Google Now profile.

Android has various hooks into Google Now available for developers; and some of them work with web based appsā€¦

We donā€™t want to neglect our iOS users, nor users of older hardware or older Android versions, etcā€¦ Hmmm.

1 Like

Hmmmm i do and dont agree . . .

Yes IOS / ANDROID / PHONES / TABLETS already have all these things . . . But thatā€™s not really the point, if that was the case we could say " do we really need smart tiles, i have smartthings app and i have a cctv app " but the reason you guys invented SmartTiles as far as i know is to get everything into one clean and easy to use location to save having to go through 101 steps / apps etc to do stuff . . .

so in my eyes the ideal situation for SmartTiles is to eventuallllllly show in one nice clean and customizable dashboard: SmartThings switches & content (as it does now) / heating / energy monitoring / cctv & control / calendars & alerts / shopping lists etc (maybe an future integration with samsung fridges etc) . . .

having all them things in one place on one clean dashboard gives SmartTiles more power in the home, it will make a lot more people permanently mount large tablets on the wall and just run SmartTiles on them as its essentially become the only app/page you need to control everything . . . no need to close it and open other apps, because it all there in one place.

even better that other things work with it like echo aswell, because you could say for instance " ALEXA, PLEASE ADD A DOCTORS APPOINTMENT FOR 3PM TO THE FAMILY CALENDAR " . . . . to which alexa does . . . . and then it adds it to the calendar view in smarttiles for other members of family to see :slight_smile:

ā€” just an idea like :slight_smile:

but i never think the argument " we can already do this in other apps " will work for smarttiles, i imagine this one smartapp eventually holding the real power to smartthings, this dashboard in my eyes will become one of the main selling forces of ST as it develops into the homes one stop shop dashboard :slight_smile:

1 Like

SmartTiles quit working for me today. I wonder if anyone has an idea how to correct the issue?

This morning out power went out for a couple of minutes. When the power came back on, most devices came on (a mess in and of itself). I reset the hub and went to SmartTiles to turn all of the devices off. To my dismay, SmartTiles would not function anything off (or on). I then used the MobileApp which worked fine.

I then noticed that SmartTiles will show the correct status of devices as they are turned on or off, but again it SmartTiles will not switch anything on or off?

Hmmmā€¦ SmartTiles depends on SmartThingsā€™s ā€œSmartAppā€ processing to be all in sync and such; so perhaps something went out of wack.

Try going into the native App, open the SmartTiles under your installed SmartApps and then open the child-Dashboard configuration for the malfunctioning dashboard. You could turn on a higher level of Live Logging, but it may be sufficient to just press ā€œDONEā€ in order to restart the SmartApp.

If it still doesnā€™t work, then, indeed, please send us some Live Logging output to: Support@SmartTiles.click

• Log Level setting (for diagnostic output to IDE Live Logging US or UK added under ā€œPreferencesā€ (defaults to ā€œErrorā€ only).

Thanks for the speedy help.

I did as stated above, but unfortunately nothing changed. I also tried the live logging, but nothing appears in the IDE live log page for me? To be clear, I set the log level to debug, used SmartTiles then checked the live log page. As I avenā€™t used live logging before, perhaps Iā€™ve got this part wrong.

Also tried a cold reboot of the hub thinking maybe thereā€™s a disconnect between local vs. cloud resources, but again nothing changed?

SmartTiles is even getting errors with our unchanged web installer right nowā€¦ And I hear of various other development environment problems.

Perhaps a temporary hiccup, but Iā€™ll keep you posted.

Any clues as to whatā€™s going on with the Platform at the moment @slagle @jody.albritton? Thanksā€¦

Thanks very much for the help.

1 Like

I noticed that the IDE has ā€œDevice Handlersā€ now instead of ā€œDevice Typesā€ so something is in the process of being changedā€¦

Gawddangit!

This same visible change occurred a few weeks ago and reversed just as quickly.

The continued unannounced Platform changes (without any pre-release notes of any level of detail!) is extremely unprofessional and, frankly, makes developers like @625alex and myself look like amateurs because of the side effects.

##Update
There is at least one known issue causing some problems with 3rd-Party servicesā€¦

1 Like

I personally wouldnā€™t want all that other non-HA stuff cluttering up my tiles. It is very easy to switch to another app.

1 Like

I agree here. The calendar would either be very small, or need to take up a 3x3 matrix of tiles, minimal, unless you only wanted that dayā€™s list.

I think those who want it would be better off just adding it as a link with your Private Address available in Google Calendar.

The idea is to add universal items.

The current incarnation of SmartTiles (ā€œv5ā€) is not likely to get any new features, unless we get really bored and need a distraction from V6 development.

For V6; @625alex are I are committed to the MVP (Minimum Viable Product) paradigm, because itā€™s the only way weā€™re going to be able to get the darn thing released before 2017!

For now MVP is all about the reworking the backend for efficiency, security, and optimal compliance with SmartThingsā€™s requirements and guidelines. From a user perspective, it means we want to delivery with as much of the current features, and look-and-feel functionality as possible.

SmartTiles philosophy for the foreseeable future is that it is really based on SmartThingsā€™s capabilities, primarily. In other words, when we have to prioritize features, something like Google Calendar integration is actually more likely to happen if SmartThings does it first. Itā€™s just a strategic path that we may eventually deviate from.

Supporting ā€œplug-in Tilesā€ of a wide variety is a great concept and weā€™re bound to experiment with it when weā€™re in a position to (a) afford the time and effort, and (b) have a feedback mechanism to test this against a large portion of the user base ā€“ far more than those who we can reach in this Community alone, unfortunately.

1 Like

Iā€™d just like SmartTiles to work again here. Sigh. :confused:

1 Like

If nothing appears on the Live Logging page in the API/IDE for your region (NB: it is US or UK specific!) and Account, then something bigger is wrong.

Perhaps drop me a line at: Support@SmartTiles.click so we can double check your Live Logging settings and see whatā€™s going on.

Okay, will send a note to you; I really appreciate the help.

Shawn

1 Like

@tgauchat - Iā€™ll follow this thread to see what you all come up with. Iā€™m having a similar, but not completely the same, problem. Most of my light switches (both on/off & dimmer) tiles work to show status, and also for control.

However, I have two that Iā€™ve identified so far that are seeing the behavior @ShawnInPaso reports - they correctly report status, but any attempts at control (on/off/dimmer) basically do nothing.

Thanks.

Thereā€™s a wider issue with SmartThings going on now. Hopefully when the issue is corrected, SmartTiles will return to normal.

1 Like

Thereā€™s always a wider issue going on in SmartThings. :frowning:

I had to chuckle and resist sending them back a nasty gram when I got the ā€˜please signup for our monthly paid monitoring serviceā€™ email.

Shyeah, rightā€¦ give me local processing of things like Rule Machine, and a consistent and stable platform. Until that that time, the only time I want to hear from SmartThings is when they can actually say ā€˜things are stable for longer than 1 day.ā€™

3 Likes

An isolated issue with certain specific Things is interesting, particularly if limited to SmartTiles. Are they the same type / brand of Device?

I would be curious to see Live Logging output (at Debug or Trace level) related to attempts to activate these Tilesā€¦

Let me see what I can do - it might be a day or so, as Iā€™m tied up with some other things and only found this tonight while trying to control things through SmartTilesā€¦

Thanks.

1 Like