SmartTiles Dashboard 5.4.2 - July 13 (www.SmartTiles.click)

1. There are no official URL options except for the ability to remove the “access_token=xxxx-yyyy...” parameter which would force you to login with your SmartThings email and password periodically per SmartThing’s session expiration policy. Well… that and “&t=x” may be appended to the URL, where x is a size override value for the tiles. Numbers from 50 to 150 are worth trying. Doubt much smaller or bigger will be helpful. Tiles are based on a square grid, so there is only one dimension available; e.g., “&t=50”.

2. All the SmartTile options are in the Configuration (SmartApp preferences) screens that you can page through by finding the SmartTiles SmartApp Instance in the SmartThings native mobile App. Nothing can be “configured” using the actual browser based dashboard.

3. Tiles can only be ordered into a sequence (just like the old SmartThings “Things View”). The order is done via drag and drop in the SmartApp Preferences Page “Preferences / Device Order”.

4. We are not releasing any official details for V6 until it has gone through Beta testing (which hasn’t even started yet, and we don’t know when that will be either). i.e., no dates, no features, no promises = no disappointments; we hope :wink:.

Most of the above information is already, fittingly enough, on the SmartTiles.click “Information” page: http://www.smarttiles.click/info/

1 Like

Trying to get this working on my wife’s phone. Where does the access token go so she doesn’t have to type in the user and password each time. Thx

You can grab the full URL again from the SmartTiles SmartApp’s configuration/“SmartTiles URL” Section:

1 Like

Thx a lot she’s all set up now and happy!

2 Likes

Hello - I am trying to use a Amazon Fire (the new cheapo one) as a control panel for my house. I have chrome installed and I go to the web dashboard. From there, I understand I am supposed to create a favorite or shortcut or something and get it on to my homepage… where I can then launch it in a borderless / full screen mode…

For the life of me, I cannot find a way to do this. Everytime I bookmark it, it saves in chrome… but no where on the Fire. When I launch the bookmark, it is in browser mode. I am probably just dumb… any help?

1 Like

Try this, while the page is open, click the three vertical dots on top right then select Add to Home screen.

3 Likes

I want to have a QR code that points to the URL of the dashboard so that friends and family can scan it and get the dashboard up on their own device.

Sorry if this is already somewhere in the thread, but is there a way of displaying a photo or other image file on one of the dashboards? Is that what custom css is used for?

2 Likes

This is a great idea, though it would have some security risks that ought to be considered. I don’t know if CSS is sufficient to implement it… I would rather make it a page in the SmartApp config.

Future versions of SmartTiles will have more convenient sharing methods, so this feature not likely to be a high priority… But I’m tempted to experiment.

2 Likes

Here is a QR code generator Would that work?

2 Likes

Is the security risk that you’re thinking of the fact that I’d be giving out the uRL to friends and family? If so, that’s dealt with by resetting the URL after their use while here.

Thanks. I think I already have the QR Code part figured out though.
The part I’m wondering about is displaying a photo/image file of the QR Code within the dashboard so that people can simply scan it from the wall-mounted phone/tablet device and I don’t have to send it to them or anything kooky like that.

You can add a URL Link Tile to the SmartThings dashboard (i.e., a link to the QR generator). But there isn’t any way to prevent it from being clicked anytime to show the code.

I guess perhaps I should just keep the neato goodies to myself and skip this idea for now, eh? lol

Ideas are always good…

We could add a specially generated QR link Tile as an option, per discussion. It’s just not most secure.

Version “6.something” will offer a secure process for sharing.

1 Like
2 Likes

Awesome! Thanks, Terry.

1 Like

With all security considerations in mind, you can technically display any image in a MJPEG tile. Just paste the absolute URL to the image into one of the MJPEG video stream entries in SmartApp preferences.

3 Likes

Aha, cool. Done. Thanks, Alex. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been trying to use my old Windows Mobile 8 phone as a wall mount, but mjpeg images don’t appear to work at all in Mobile Explorer. I just upgraded to the preview edition of Windows 10 Mobile and all I get is a spinning wheel when attempting to load Smarttiles URL in Microsoft Edge. Has anyone else encountered this?

I am new to this (so this may sound like a stupid question), but i have read through 200 comments and still can’t find the answer!

Can i link other home automation app’s (not Smart Things products) to Smart Tiles so i can just press a tile to open the app up and control say my wifi door bell (which doesn’t work on ST)

I am from the UK so don’t know if the answer is the same.

God bless anyone that can help me!!!

You can define a Tile to link to a URL (web page). Some smartphone apps have special local URL’s (but mostly things like Youtube and Facebook; not likely other particular home control apps like a WiFi Door Bell).

SmartTiles runs inside a browser (even if the Browser is in “full screen App mode”, so there is a limit to what external resources it can access. Perhaps combined with SharpTools and/or Tasker (which might accept a special URL link), anything is possible.

1 Like