SmartTiles Dashboard 5.4.2 - July 13 (www.SmartTiles.click)

Hi @Tommy_Mcnally, As im in UK and have been impacted by OAuth i cannot confirm if this would work (yet) - perhaps @tgauchat or another user can but…

If you set up a new ‘simulated button’ device in IDE could you then not display this in SmartTiles and use IFTTT / Tasker to respond to this simulated button being pressed (either in ST native or SmartTiles) to open any app - or take near enough any action on the tablet itself?

This is how envisioned tackling this type of scenario? I was also going to potentially go one step further and have tasker take actions with my ST environment on the back of nfc interactions (so almost the reverse to your scenario as tasker would be the one instigating the action instead of SmartTiles). I already have some NFC tags embedded in the walls in certain rooms that work great with tasker and my phone. As an example, I currently have a NFC tag behind the bathroom tiles that when my phone taps the tile it turns my BT on and opens Google Play Music on my phone (which instantly pairs to bt receive in loft driving an amp and in ceiling speakers). On 2nd tap it stops playing and turns BT off (great if you have wet hands getting out the shower etc). For ST i was thinking along the lines of if my phone taps a wall mounted tablet in a room - have a set of predetermined actions run - just another option to have imo.

really hoping @tgauchat confirms this approach will play nicely or else ill be back to drawing board a bit too :wink:

Thanks for the response guys, i can see its not a straightforward answer.

It looks like a simple enough request and one that will open up a whole window of other smart devices.

Otherwise i have to buy only Smart Things approved products for them to show on Smart Tiles (is this true?)

It seriously limits my options and increased my costs.

Smart wifi led lightstrips for example, i can get them dirt cheap from China but i want to be able to easily control them on a wall mounted dashboard through smart tiles. Is this possible? Maybe a Smart Things wall switch which i can connect them to which links to Smart Things and Smart Tiles?

You didn’t mention what device you are using. See if this helps: https://appurl.org/

1 Like

I will look into this when I get my Windows 10 update. There was some subtle bug for some versions of IE too.

Meanwhile you could probably use an alternate browser. This should help with the MJPEG issue too.

You can create a virtual device (switch, dimmer, momentary button) and display it in SmartTiles and then use it as a trigger for IFTTT recipes or Tasker (via SharpTools). You can add a shortcut tile and have it trigger something on the tablet.

I just pointed @Tommy_Mcnally to https://appurl.org/ . There are other OS specific actions that could be triggered via a link. You can try to launch an app with something like youtube://.

3 Likes

No, any device of your choice with standard capabilities will show up on the dashboard, whether it’s ST approved, DIY or virtual.

If a device is not connected to SmartThings, you cannot display it on SmartTiles. SmartTiles is a SmartThings client, it only sees what SmartThings sees.

Sorry Alex what do you mean by device? The device running Smart Tiles or the home automation device?

I haven’t actually purchased any products, i’m building a house and want to make it smart so i’m doing my research now. I want to base my home automation system around the Smart Tiles functions so i have all my products on one central control. This is why i am so keen on finding out if i can link other smart apps to Smart Tiles as the approved list on Smart Things is very small. Then i can quickly open and control all my devices in one location.

Im looking to buy a tablet and wall mount it then run my smart tiles off that. Purely because of the cheap cost and excellent app i want to run the majority of my lights with the below products. The app is called Magic Home, Do you know if i can link the app to Smart Tiles?

www.smartledlightbulb.com

Thanks in advance

Am in the UK and I think they’ve sort of resolved the OAuth issue

Tried to install SmartTiles, and ST is now showing my location in the OAuth drop down (which is a big improvement over before!!) but then comes up with “Client is not associated with a SmartApp in location ‘Home’”

I understand each of those words, but literally can’t work out what it’s trying to get at. Can’t suss if it’s a SmartTiles issue or a lingering OAuth issue ! :wink:

Any ideas?

Sorry @625alex Alex it seems like you have given me two contradicting statements,

1. Any device of your choice with standard capabilities will show up on the dashboard, whether it’s ST approved, DIY or virtual.

2. If a device is not connected to SmartThings, you cannot display it on SmartTiles (dashboard?).

I’m confused mate sorry!!

Try to log out and make sure there are no other active SmartThings sessions and try again. I’m not sure what’s the status of OAuth right now in Europe and here. Let’s wait for some announcements from the people upstairs.

1 Like

Any home automation devices that are connected to SmartThings will show up on the dashboard as long as they have standard capabilities.

Only home automation devices that are connected to SmartThings can be displayed on the dashboard.

Thanks Alex, that clarifies things.

But you explained a way around it was > to create a virtual device (switch, dimmer, momentary button) and display it in SmartTiles and then use it as a trigger for IFTTT recipes or Tasker (via SharpTools). You can add a shortcut tile and have it trigger something on the tablet

So i could create a virtual switch that will appear on the Smart Tiles dashboard that effectively does nothing then create a IFTTT rule when that switch is pressed it triggers another device not compatible with ST - such as a roller blind?

Or…. i can link a tile to a URL which then opens up another devices app
https://appurl.org/

Am i correct mate?

Yes. There are many different types of tiles.

There are shortcut tiles that normally links to a web URL (or re-purpose it for an app URL, your mileage may vary).

There are also SmartThings device tiles. These devices could be virtual. They trigger events in SmartThings that in turn trigger whatever else is hooked up to these events, like IFTTT and Tasker.

Makes sense?

I’m using led strip from eBay controlled by a raspberry pi neatly integrated into smart things via a custom device type. Initial cost if you don’t have a RPI lying around could be, potentially, around the same as ST approved strip (hue, lightify etc)… But I have a much longer strip as a result and could probably use the same pi for other St sensor duties (although not started exploring this yet). This set up also shows up and works just fine on Smart Tiles

Please follow UK status here…

Thanks! And cross your fingers. :pray:

1 Like

Update: But please continue comments on this UK thread until further notice:

I’m fairly new to SmartTiles, so I apologize if I’ve missed something earlier in this thread or if I’m just missing any easy way to do what I’m trying to get done. It would seem that, like me, a lot of people are using this to mount on a wall for easy access to things without going through the app which can be less than convenient. The issue I’m having is that when I mount this on the wall I want to click something like a “Goodnight” routine which turns off all the lights on the main floor, turns off my outlets that run my stereo, close the garage and lock the front door. I have a routine that does all this for me in one click, but to do it through SmartTiles it seems that I have to click about 6 different buttons. Is it not technically feasible to add “Routine” buttons to SmartTiles, or is there just a very simple way to do this that I’m just completely missing? Thanks!

It should already be there… in the distributed version, it is still probably called “Hello Home”?
Version 5.5 renames this to “Routines”.

Let me know if you can’t find the function, and I’ll look up some screenshots later.

When I tap the hello home button on my iPad mini, the menu pops up and then disappears very quickly. I have to hit the hello home button again to bring up the menu. Once I choose one and tap it the menu fails to disappear. Anyone else seeing this?

Thank you for pointing that out! I thought that was just a single button that only ran a single event. I’ve seen the button, just didn’t know it did what I wanted. Thanks again!

2 Likes