I have been using the SmartThings wifi hub for about one year. I keep losing internet connectivity for no apparent reason off and on. It goes out 1 or 2 times a day at least…a few more times on a bad day…each time, it comes back within a few a minutes. Here is my setup:
- My wifi hub is connected to an Arris broadband router/modem via an ethernet cable.
- All wifi networks on Arris are TURNED OFF
- Arris is the ONLY device handing out DHCP addresses
- All wireless clients connect to WIFI networks that are on ST wifi hub. I have the same name for both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks. I had bought the 3 pack and so there are 2 other ST wifi pods in my house.
- ST wifi hub is about a foot away from Arris
- When internet goes out, no one has been using our microwave…I am aware that using the microwave will kill the 2.4 Ghz network for a short time
To troubleshoot, I have called my internet service provider (Spectrum) . They have checked at their end and also put a device check on my incoming internet line. Spectrum is saying everything is ok at their end.
I called Arris and they asked me to look at logs at 192.168.100.1. They are saying Arris modem is working fine.
I am trying to figure out what the cause of internet outage could be. Does anyone have any ideas about troubleshooting this problem? Where are the logs kept for the ST wifi hub or Plume? I tried to contact Plume support but they are saying that the support is through Samsung SmartThings because they are the ones using Plume and that I am not a direct customer.
I contacted SmartThings support and after a lot of rigmarole they are willing to send me a replacement. However, when I asked them if they knew the root cause, they said NO. I don’t want to send the hub back only to have the problem repeat because the root cause was something entirely different and had nothing to do with the hub.
Thank you in advance!