SmartThings Outdoor compatible door sensor

Newbie here. Thanks for the add!

I am looking to monitor the status of my garage door. I have a couple of the ST sensors but they are rated between 32-104 degrees and my garage gets colder and warmer than this. My garage sees usual temps between 0-114 degrees, depending on the season.

Is there a sensor with a larger temperature range or an outdoor Z-wave door sensor, or a ST compatible input that I can use my existing hardwired garage door sensor with?

Thanks in advance!

This is perfect! Thanks for your help.

I am looking for sensor to install on my mail box, I have low temperature here too.

I use an Iris sensor in my mailbox and garage, both work fine. Mailbox seems to drain more than my other sensors, so I just replace the battery more often,

1 Like

I’m seeing the same results with my mailbox application of the Iris 2nd gen contact sensor. This is more than likely due to temperature extremes and operating outside of the optimal temperature range for the battery (not the sensor). The sensor is rated for normal operation from 32°F to 104°F (0°C to 40°C), and safe storage from -4°F to 122°F (-20°C to 50°C).

I Just test Xiaomi Door/Window and Samsung SmartThings Multipurpose Sensor but the problem now is the distance from hub to mail box, I need repeater :frowning:

Seems like those sensor are pretty cheap if I ever had to replace one too.

Emersonvier,

If you are using Z-Wave devices it is possible to add another Z-Wave device to a room in the house closest to the mailbox so that the new z-wave device will act as a repeater so that you do not have to purchase additional equipment.

@Ctate, I connect my “Cree Connected LED Bulb” on my garage than the Xiaomi Door/Window work :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I put a contact sensor on the garage door, front door and a window closest to the mailbox to try to make sure there is mesh coverage that extends out there. These are mostly just for repeaters, since all of those entry points have hardwired sensors as well.

Sorry, that was a mistype. Not as repeaters, but as additional nodes to make sure there’s a hop within range of the mailbox. This was my workaround to solve some connectivity issues out there. The nearest repeater is actually within range, but has various obstacles and the connection was a bit flaky prior to adding the sensors.

Then that was definitely unrelated! Thanks for the clarification. I was under the impression that providing an intermediate end device could unreliably shorten signal hop (without increasing signal strength) and direct to the nearest router/coordinator. But now that I think about it, that would have to be another router/repeater!

So you’re right in that it was probably related to some unknown factor (possibly even the removing of a WiFi device that occurred the same day) that allowed more stable communication to the nearest repeater.

1 Like