SmartThings Outage - Jan 03 2018

I have been using SmartThings for a little over a year and this is the most significant / widespread / longest outage that I have been witness too. Long timers 3 to 5+ years on SmartThings can tell you about outages of the past that top this little one by miles. Outside of the outage there have been a bunch of smaller scale type of things such as the UK having problems with Modes and Routines ignoring those Modes for about 3 weeks. There have been some functional elements that have been removed or broken that to some are pretty significant. Overall my ST experience has been about 90% positive, then again I treat this as more of a hobby type project and don’t allow my home to be 100% reliant on SmartThings. Here’s a topic that might be useful to you to plan for the future:

I have a feeling that this wasn’t a complete outage from start to finish. Day 1 appeared to only affect users on the na02 shard (myself included). Day 2 - All na02 users for the most part were restored (never had an issue after first 24 hours) and na04 users are now affected. Day 3 - Seemed to be more sporadic issues for various users, and maybe another shard. It almost looks like that each day represented a different set of users or shard / url. That’s just a guess based on what was posted. If every single person were to post what country and shard they are on, it makes it easier for us community members to make a little more rhyme or reason as to when, who and what is affected when we haven’t heard anything back directly from ST.

1 Like