SmartThings IPhone Widget single button for on/off

(Chris) #1

I like the idea of the smart things Widget, it’s easy to swipe down and then see the list of buttons, however currently I have to make automation for On and off, I would love to have one button on the widget that toggles on and off. Is that possible?

The widget only allows for routines.

(Ron Talley) #3

Use webCoRE to toggle whatever when the Routine runs.

If Routine Activates
Then
If blah blah is on
Turn Off
If blah blah is off
Turn On

Why not just do what you want to do in a routine and then use it in the widget? Why are you going through 2 extra steps?

(Ron Talley) #5

If you wanted to turn something on then off, how do you do that in a Routine?

Two routines, one for on, one for off. The OP asked about the widget for iOS. You can only add routines to that widget. So, how does a simulated switch and WebCore help?

(Ron Talley) #7

Button…(Toggle)

You cannot add a simulated button to the widget in iOS!!! LMAO It only allows you to add routines. Why aren’t you listening?

(Ron Talley) #9

Go back and read my post…

Routines can activate buttons. You can setup a toggle rule ,using a button, in webCoRE.

If Button is pressed
And
Light is on
Turn Off

If Button is pressed
And
Light is off
Turn On

You have no idea if you’re turning it on or off. How is that helpful? The original post asked for a widget that would toggle on and off. Such a widget does not exist, no matter how many simulated switches you use.

(Ron Talley) #11

That’s why it’s called Toggle…

I edited my posts above because you don’t need the simulated button. You just need to setup the toggle rules in webCoRE when the Routine runs.

(Robin) #12

You can’t tell from the widget, but it’s about as good as you’re gonna get.

I use what @rontalley described for several widget routines… for example toggling the bathroom light late at night so the pull cord noise doesn’t wake people up.

Or for all on / all off of the entire house.

I can see the state of the light(s) when activating the widget, so no need for the state to be displayed in the widget (though of course that would be nice).

If I’m not at home, I don’t need to mess with the widget, I know all the lights are off because webCoRE checks for me when I leave, and pings me a notification if lights come on whilst i’m away :wink:

(JIm) #13

In android I can set up widget buttons on my home screen to run routines. Was trying to do that for a friend on his iphone. Could not figure out how. All it would do is create something that you pull down from the top which then just opens the app. Anyone tell me how to get buttons on the screen?