SmartThings Hub Version 2.0

I read awhile back about someone using a Wemo outlet as a way to remotely reboot their hub. Any appliance module that has it’s own app should work.

We want to support all the Revolv users. That said, Insteon support natively in a future SmartThings hub is pretty unlikely. Would be cool to look for an Insteon dongle that could be added via USB. There was also this thread that some folks got Insteon support added via some magic:

There are insteon PLM’s/PLC’s that connect over USB, serial, and ethernet.

1 Like

Ben, can you setup the SmartThings hub so it can operate either of these USB Insteon connections? Could be a solution for Revolv (and other insteon interested) customers if you can figure out how to make them work together.

http://www.insteon.com/2413U-PowerLinc-USB.html

http://www.insteon.com/2414u-powerlinc-controller-usb.html

1 Like

I have been using SmartThings since about June and have multiple deployments of hubs - both at my home, vacation home, and office. I have enjoyed the programming environment and written many apps which have delivered the promise of “true” home automation. Seeing as how I have over 200 devices on all of my various hubs I fight the frustration that other users have mentioned - and to that end I have redundant network connections through routers with redundant Internet connections as I have made ST integral in my way of life. I have replaced all the locks, light switches, light bulbs, outlets, valves, motion sensors, and remotes with ones that are now integrated into ST. My deck sprayers are run by an app on ST that adjusts the amount of spraying that it delivers based on how hot it is during the daylight hours - my plants (through Flower Power and IFTT) water and feed themselves through valves connected to ST, my remote ACs, fans, and space heaters come on and off when the Nest does through an app, as do my home outside air fans, and the water to my ice chest machine and coffee pots open valves connected triggered by water sensors through ST - ALL very wonderful when it works… Usually a big mess when the Internet connectivity fails… I have also played with the various other alternatives only to discover that they are weak in the ability to create automation and they have the same dependancies as ST on Internet connectivity. I have ST integrated with Hue, Nest, IFTT, Sonos, and Wemo. The most frustrating thing is when both Internets go out and I can barely turn my lights on and off without switching breakers. My significant other thinks I am a nutcase for doing all of this accept for when it is working great! I am very anxious for a non-Internet dependent hub and have even been discussing with Cisco methods of “spoofing” the SmartThings API connectivity so as to have “island” functionality. I am a huge supporter and would love to participate in any “Alpha” or “Beta” hubs that function as islands when the rest of the Internet goes away :slight_smile: - Please remember - the Internet is just the network of networks - our local LANs are IP based and should not have all of the amazing functionality subject to the other networks availability… Instead of Cloud computing - think of Fog computing - i.e. local processing close to the edge that mimics that of a larger cloud that can come and go as needed…

Good Job to ST!!! Lets get the next hardware version out and support the community that has adopted being on the “bleeding” edge of home automation and the Internet of Things!

Cooper

8 Likes

I hope that the new version of the SmartThings hub vil be available in Europe (@ben as we talked about on Twitter a couple of days ago) - Is that a possibility? :slight_smile:

1 Like

@larsenpedersen I am not sure - the V2 hub should be out (in the US) before we start rolling out widely in the EU/AU/NZ but I don’t know about the CE certifications that we’ll need and if that will happen at the same time or not. Eventually yes, I expect the V2 hub to have international availability.

2 Likes

@Ben what about Japan?

wait so i’m confused! is the new hub to be released on Jan 1st? or March 31st? i just bought the hub :-S and now i’m having buyers remorse if a new hub us coming out in 2 months… i can wait 2 months to get that functionality!

In the consumer electronics industry, there is always something newer and better coming out in the near future. I personally will upgrade to the newest and greatest when available👍 Smartthings is at least is open to telling us that something is on the horizon, most keep this information top secret until release day.

Doesn’t matter to me how much it costs, just make it work better.

I agree - given the investment in all the devices, the hub is a minor cost at best. I’d rather pay more for something more robust and functional. Given that offline operation is confirmed, I may start trusting it enough to build in some alarm functionality - as it stands I am holding off as I don;t see the point of an alarm that breaks when your internet goes down.

Looking forward to the new hub!

2 Likes

Whilst to us it is obvious the cost of the hub is but a small component of the overall system, we need to remember that a high cost hub would represent a significant barrier to adoption by newcomers.

SmartThings need to maintain a low cost of entry if they want to encourage widespread adoption of this technology, which is something we should all be encouraging.

A solution to this dilemma may be more than one hub model, but we need to temper our expectations. There are complexities and costs (and time) involved with both developing and supporting each additional product and at the end of the day, even with the backing from Samsung, from a company perspective SmartThings, whilst not embryonic, is still very young and still formulating all the supporting infrastructure, roles, processes, etc. in conjunction with the technology / products / services on offer.

Given the low comparative cost of the hub, it may well be best for us all to accept that hubs will improve incrementally over time as:

• Technology improves and compute and memory cost drops
  • Lessons are learnt over time
  • The SmartThings architecture evolves

E.g. perhaps we may see a new hub every two years. Provided the migration from one hub to the next is painless, the features gained desirable and the cost reasonable, such an approach would align with that taken by many other very successful consumer technology products.

2 Likes

@drkashifa,

Last I’d heard (and I’m sure @Ben will update if this is wrong), but the new Hub is schedule to be out late in the Jan-March quarter. Realistically, knowing how new electronics tend to be, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s not until April that they are available, though I may be wrong.

I believe the confuse is that Ben has stated more firm details (about hardware and due date) will be released in January.

@Ben Hey Ben, About two weeks ago you mentioned to me that you were going to put something together for the people who were previously on Revolv. I haven’t heard anything from you in that regards. Is this still something you’re working? I’m really trying to figure some things out and was looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks

I would personally like to see:
-Local SmartApp Processing
-BLE
-Cellular backup
-Extra USB ports for interfacing with aruduino board

1 Like

@vishwanth 3/4 ain’t bad. You could use #4 for #3 too :slight_smile:

You can accomplish 3 with cellular backup on your router. Obviously you’d need a router that supports it.

I’d recommend that v2 have power over ethernet (POE) built in, takes 1 less cable and works well in other hardware I have used and developed. Some offline processing would also be good so that if internet goes down schedules remain intact at a minimum which is good when you’re away and your house loses internet for some reason (rare these days but possible).

From a backup perspective, I still would like to see for a USB 3G dongle. But it only would only useful if the hub would have a backup battery which could easily be implemented using rechargeable AA batteries.