Smartthings Hub V3 in South Africa

Hi, I am very keen to get a smartthings Hub v3 from the UK as they have the same Z-wave frequency as South Africa. Will this hub work in South Africa?, Someone said that Samsung geoblocks the account setup so you can buy the hub but I won’t be able to set it up?

I don’t have personal experience with the Ver 3 hub (I’m using a Ver 2 in SA), but I’ve read somewhere that a UK hub works fine outside the UK area, once it has been activated. However, the activation has to be done within the UK area. There was no such issue with the Ver 2 hub and I’ve not seen any explanation why Samsung introduced the regional restriction.
Vodacom’s SA offer the Ver 3 hub as part of the V-Home security system. (It is advertised on their website). Not that I’ll voluntarily consider the headache of migrating to a new hub, but I was curious to know if that hub is in any way limited in its functionality. I was unable to find a decisive answer.
There was some discussion on this forum about the V-Home security system and the general perception appears to be that the hub (sold with the V-Hom system) is not limited in any way, apart from that it requires a Vodacom V-Home subscription. The hub will stop functioning if the subscription lapses.

© 2019 SmartThings, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

SmartThings; SmartApps®; Physical Graph; Hello, Home; and Hello, Smart Home are all trademarks of the SmartThings, Inc.