Smartthings give me back my dashboard and shortcuts

Support is either stating it incorrectly or is misinformed. The director of visual design has recently stated in this community that it’s coming back, just redesigned.

He also stated that they are focusing on other priorities including stability first. I don’t blame them.

1 Like

I still blame them for removing the old version. They could have worked on stability without removing the old version. I still have the old version so I know the old version still works in the new app, therefore I see no excuse for not putting the old version back in until the new version is ready. We go in circles on this tread, from why remove old version to because new version is coming to but they are doing stability fixes first, back to then put back the old version…but new version is coming…when…stability first…you get the idea.

4 Likes

For those of you who didn’t lose their dashboards -

Mine is horribly out of sync with devices lately. It says doors are open, but if I go to right now, it says they are closed (which they are). It says motion, but right now says no motion. etc.

I was just chalking it up to ST not supporting it anymore. But I’m also seeing it with SHM. It says armed away but if I go to “home” on the SHM dash it shows disarmed, which is true.

Trying to decide if I should just delete these legacy dashboards since they aren’t accurate. Anyone else have legacy dashboards and having accuracy issues?

2 Likes

@greg, I wouldn’t do that. Mine do get out of sync, but eventually get corrected. It’s frustrating, especially since the latest release royally screwed up and killed scrolling, but until they come up with a decent replacement I’m holding on to them.

1 Like

me too. If it’s not accurate then it’s pointless to look at it. I got rid of the legacy “doors and locks” because it kept saying the garage door was open, then I’d check it by a couple methods and it was closed. So I deleted the garage door, logged out and in, and that legacy dashboard disappeared. I still have 1-2 light shortcuts but never use them so they might as well go too.

I suspect the legacy dashboards are degraded/deprioritized to reduce load. The logs seem indicate a lot of traffic for the legacy items.

Yeah I never use the built in apps from the dashboard. I just enjoy the ability to glance at it and see what’s going on. But like you said, what’s the point if it isn’t accurate?

1 Like

Using the new update ability in the IDE fixes items that are out of sync.

Edit - for what it is worth here is the logging. It knows that it is actually closed but showing open?

ad9e3dcf-94d7-46d0-839c-9f4db57664de  10:05:38 AM EST: warn stateCheck(open) called but door is closed: doing nothing
ad9e3dcf-94d7-46d0-839c-9f4db57664de  10:04:53 AM EST: warn stateCheck(open) called but door is closed: doing nothing

Any update on how to get shortcuts on the dashboard or what these “improved” replacement features are?

3 Likes

Hi David.

Any update on the dashboard and short-cut development? I was just reflecting that it’s been almost a year since I’ve even opened my Smarthings App (except to dismiss the stupid alarms). I used to open it and use it multiple times/day. Now I simply use Smart-Tiles (Sparingly) on my wall-mounted Tablet, and then use Amazon Echo to Voice Control everything else.

I’m not sure if Smart-things has seen engagement with the app/user interface drop-off (using a comparable group, YoY,) but navigating to get useful information is currently so painful, I’d have to imagine I’m not the only dedicated ST user who simply gave up using the Front-End. The backend still seems strong, but UI is useless.

This is really a critical feature that was essentially dumped.

Thanks,

1 Like

We’re hoping with SmartTiles V6 you’ll use SmartTiles almost exclusively (for anything non-voice, non-custom device Capabilities, and non-configuration tasks). Boasting… but, it is looking good!

3 Likes

Thanks tgauchat. Two questions: 1) When is it coming out? 2) Will it let me use ANY tile that I have in smartthings and see any of the information available? That is my current issue and what I miss most.

Good questions!

1. Availability of V6 for general release? We’re not saying. – Our policy is to avoid, to the best of our ability, giving ETAs, even if not promises, that we are not highly certain we can keep. I am personally very disappointed that the majority of Kickstarter and IndiGogo campaigns, for example, slip months or even years beyond their “estimated delivery dates”.

2. @625alex and I are definitely aware of SmartTiles’s limited ability to support “ANY” arbitrary Tile / Device Type Handler that might be supported by the SmartThings mobile App. If our resources were magically unlimited, I think we’d figure out a way to “go for it”. But…

###There are two fundamental reasons for this limitation:

• The primary goals of SmartTiles are to be a simpler and more efficient User Interface than the SmartThings App. This not only means not supporting stuff like add-device, configure SmartApp, etc., for which SmartThings doesn’t provide any hooks into; but it also means that we consciously avoided replicating other bits of their UI, such as drill-into sub-tiles from the main-tile, well as multiAttributeTile. This decision has pros and cons, but the “pro” is that we have a foundation for and time to focus on “outside-the-box” features, such as the ability to have the same Thing represented on multiple Dashboards (unlike SmartThings where a Thing can only be in one Room!), and a Thing’s multiple Capabilities/Attributes/Commands can be split into multiple top-level Dashboard Tiles (e.g., battery, temperature, humidity, contact, acceleration all can be shown on their own dashboard tile in SmartTiles, whereas in SmartThings you have to pick one, and have to drill down to see the sub-tiles for the other Attributes and/or Commands). We’re also “simpler” in that we run in most browsers, instead of requiring a separate App for specific OS’s. We run on desktops and laptops. SmartThings does not.

• SmartThings supports “ANY” arbitrary sub-tiles via the Device Type Handler GUI Design Language (i.e., the tiles() section under metadata{}). Unfortunately: SmartThings does not expose the the tiles() definition section to SmartApps via any API! So even if we developed a clone of the SmartThings DTH GUI parser, we would be dependent on users to supply the metadata directly to us. Many DTHs are closed-source.

Of course, the latter bullet is a bit of a straw-man, since, indeed, many DTHs are open-source, so, yes, users could provide the necessary tile definition metadata to SmartTiles in many cases. The sub-problems then? (a) Writing a parser is hard; especially when we have no control over the language definition. SmartThings has and will continue to change their language anytime. (b) We’d not only have to parse the metadata, we’d also have to map it to our own UI (see the first bullet). A slider-control tile, for example: Should that be a main tile available to any dashboard, or should SmartTiles fully replicate the concept of sub-tiles?

####In summary:
While I never say “never”; we basically have no intention of replicating SmartThings’s “Device Type Handler GUI”. We must focus on the 80%+ of Customers whose 80%+ of Devices consist of standard official Capabilities. We don’t even support them all… yet.

If there are particularly popular custom DTHs, and if they are published by SmartThings, then these do get serious consideration to be manually hard-coded into to our platform; though Capabilities are still ahead of that in our queue.

With the extra bandwidth we save by not building a parser, etc., we focus on our unique value propositions and features aligned in that regard (e.g., video tiles, secure dashboard sharing, performance, themeing, etc., etc.,).

1 Like

Thanks. I understand your strategy. I’m a SmartTiles fan & user. :slight_smile:

But I still want SmartThings to provide a dashboard or place where I can select and order my tiles (any of them) and see all the attributes I desire at a glance. i.e. creating the ability to easily access the information from my smart-house… something that I (and many of us) feel is pretty fundamental.

Btw–if your goal is “with SmartTiles V6 you’ll use SmartTiles almost exclusively,” then the ability to support “any tile” is key. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still a great dashboard for the wall, see a few things at a glance, but power users & heavy engagement will demand you to solve the complexities that you’ve strategically (and rightfully) chosen to avoid.

-Josh

1 Like

I’m also amazed this basic function hasn’t returned. My dashboard only shows Doors&Locks and SHM. Please bring back/add dashboard items for lights, motion, presence, alarms, thermostat so I can get an overview of all my smart things!!!

Favorites/Shortcuts on dash would be nice to control a couple devices without having to tap and wait through MyHome - Room

It would be nice if the bottom buttons were always visible too. I regular get stuck in some menu and have to hit back,wait,repeat numerous times to get the buttons back.

Competition screenshots:
http://www.visualmmg.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Insteon_app_-_Dashboard.jpg

3 Likes

Alas, I’m no longer with SmartThings so I’m afraid I can’t comment.

One year ago…

3 Likes

I think you got the answer if David is no longer there… :frowning: WTF is going on at ST? Who’s left?

3 Likes

They still have the new Amazon guy, right? If so, it wouldn’t be surprising if he’d restructured.

1 Like

The speed at which SmartThings moves is amazing. I’m really starting to worry I invested in a dying company / platform.

If this community didn’t fill so many of the gaps they would already be dead.

Just charge a monthly fee and / or offer a one time lifetime payment and hire more people.

1 Like

You’re right… They’re not even close to what we are all complaining about.