Smartthings ethernet port speed

This is my first post and I apologize if this has been answered but I have not been able to find technical specs.

I recently hooked up the hub and my switch is only showing 100Mbps connection. I originally thought I had a bad cable but have tested with a verified working cat6. Before I get too deep into this, is the Smarthings port only a 10/100Mbps port?

Thanks.

1 Like

Yes, that’s correct. It doesn’t need gigabit. It’s not moving that much data.

1 Like

Perfect thank you!

1 Like

Who has fast Ethernet these days - I thought SmartThings is cutting edge. Penny saved attitude I guess.

What would the hub possibly need with gigabit speeds

Video streams, that might be part of the reason it can only support a limited number of cameras (4 i think).

I am going to guess that’s more on the internal hardware vs the NIC

yeah… your probably right

This is the confirmation I was looking for… One of the internet lights on my Netgear router turned amber after I connected the Smartthings hub to it. One of reason for the amber light, the connected device is running 100Mbps or less. Did not know the speed Smartthings hub was running until now - thank you all.

1 Like

Regardless of how much data it sends / receives, if it’s only 10/100 it will bring the whole LAN down to 10/100.

Only if you are running a hub, not a switch

Many switches and routers will suffer from this, only expensive, less mainstream hardware will run all speeds simultaneously.

I don’t think that’s true. A gigabit switch will communicate with gigabit clients at 1000mbps, and also communicate with fast Ethernet clients at 100mbps. Autonegotiation is a standard feature on consumer-grade switches, isn’t it?

I’m not a network engineer or anything, so please correct me if I’m wrong.

4 Likes

Yup that’s correct, I can’t think of a switch unit which doesn’t do it, and have never seen one. Also when gigabit was invented hubs had all but died out anyway, hence if you have a gigabit device with multiple ports, it will be switch mode with auto negotiation.

Generally speaking, a LAN is only as fast as its slowest component. Auto negotiation still does what its supposed to, but if you add a 10/100 device into a gigabit LAN, the gigabit devices will drop down to 100mb speeds whilst remaining on gigabit duplex.

Yes, you keep saying this, but multiple other people have disagreed with you. Do you have a reference or any data from your own experience to support this claim?

1 Like

Of course. My archer C2 runs full gigabit when only my PC is attached. but if I plugged in any 10/100 device, the PC drops down to 100mb. I’ve also experienced this many times in the past when several diffewrent configurations.

I wouldn’t exactly call a 10Gb switch mainstream.
Most, if not all routers provided by an ISP will suffer from this which is exactly my point.

I’ve never had a consumer grade gig switch or router step down all devices to 10/100 when a 10/100 devices was added, isn’t that the idea of a switch vs hub? (Asus, netgear, dlink)

2 Likes

That used to be true when using network hubs. With switches, each device will run at it’s own auto-negotiated speed and both slow and fast can coexist and function independent from each other.
A vital difference between a hub and a switch is that all the nodes connected to a hub share the bandwidth among themselves, while a device connected to a switch port has the full bandwidth all to itself.

Do some reading about networking and you’ll see that you’re wrong.

2 Likes