Does getting smarter mean I need to be faster than the next house?

Just getting smart around here, and I’m amazed at all the things I no longer have to do manually like turn on light switches (or OFF for my kids), lock my doors, vacuum my floors, or spy on my wife at home. But, when you consider all of the smarty running (or soon to be) in my house I wonder if these things will begin to fight for connection speed on our wireless internet? My lack of education in such matters tells me it will. Between our bluetooths(teeth??), laptops, smart tv, and wireless cable boxes, how much speed is going to be needed to keep everything as smart as I’d like??
I’ve heard pros and cons of internet booster or range extenders, and the varied routers available…but, all of it just makes my head spin. I live in an older home and just hit my first roadblock; the smart switches I bought require a neutral wire. So that project is going back on the shelf until I can better research. So, until then if anyone has any insight on such matters regarding decent internet speeds/routers/etc. anything to get me up and running I’d appreciate it!
:slight_smile:

If you are trying to get by without a home automation hub, then yes, You may start to run into some traffic jam or other issues at around 30 devices. Your home automation devices (with the exception of cameras) generally use very little data, so they won’t slow down laptops or TV streamers. But you can run out of slots on the router.

The good news is that as long as you are willing to use a hub, most of those, including the Samsung SmartThings ™ platform, which this forum is about, generally use other protocols and don’t take up any of your Wi-Fi for most devices. Instead, they use protocols like zigbee or Zwave. Z wave can handle up to 232 devices per network and zigbee can go into the thousands, So you don’t run into the kinds of buffering problems you get on a Wi-Fi network. Most of the messages are tiny and sent infrequently, like telling a light switch to turn on once or twice a day. :sunglasses:

Did that help any? If you are using the Samsung SmartThings platform, we can make suggestions for switches that don’t require a neutral, but we will need to know what country you are in.

1 Like

Also, if you are using a SmartThings hub, start with the following post (the topic title is a clickable link), then go up to the top of that thread and read the whole string and that should answer your questions about repeaters, etc. :sunglasses:

1 Like

When I very first started researching smartening up the house, crowding up my WiFi was a concern. So is security. What I’ve ended up doing is looking for devices using other protocols as much as possible. So, I have several devices on Z-Wave, a few on Zigbee, and light switches are going on Lutron’s proprietary protocol. There’s a few devices that only have WiFi available, so I have to live with those. I also upgraded my house WiFi with the Orbi mesh setup–an AC3000 wifi router; they call it “tri band” due to having a dedicated 5GHz radio backbone between the units. I can run the ST hub while streaming to two Amazon Fire devices on HD with no lag. I likely have a couple of tablets streaming YouTube going at the same time. :wink:

So, I’ve compartmented my device bandwidth usage. I’ve also hopefully made the house a bigger PITA to try to hack into everything–as long as the hub isn’t the target.

Can you still operate the smarties with a Google

hub if they are ZWave?

@Mama_T, if you have a SmartThings hub, then of course. If you have Google Home only then you need a Z-wave capable hub, ie Smartthings hub which connects to the Google Home.

1 Like