SmartRules 2.0

Of course this makes total sense! Looking forward to an Android version when it comes out. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I canā€™t find this on the App store. Is it available on the UK store?

its available, iā€™m using it and am in UK

I am 100% aware the blame lies with Smartthings. I mention my poor customer experience as another testament to the poor developer relationship Smartthings has cultured. What encouragement do talented developers have to develop and sell high quality products on a crumbling platform? Recent example: Rules Machine.

Precisely why I purchased your app. The QuickTap options are not available through a traditional Smartthings SmartApp.

2 Likes

Thanks, not sure why I couldnā€™t find it in the AppStore with a search, but the link worked. Might be something weird with my work internet connection. Anyway, installed and a simple rule set up to turn on a light if one of the presence sensors comes home. GUI looks pretty good. Iā€™ll play around with it more later.

1 Like

Do you think SR2.0 will ever have an expert feature where a user will have the ability to create custom commands like Rule Machine?

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure about that. The current plan is to stick with the official capabilities both for simplicity and for security. I wouldnā€™t be surprised if it became a requirement at some point due to security restrictions.

Yahā€¦ I empathize with this tooā€¦ SmartThings is leaning to being a bit more restrictive than absolutely necessary in order to be sure they have fully addressed the recently published vulnerability research.

But SmartThings has also admitted many times that their ā€œCapability Listā€ canā€™t grow as quickly as Developers are coming up with unique ideas and enhancements for Device Types, and therefore they continue to embrace ad hoc (custom) Commands, Attributes, and Events. I wonder what proportion of published Device Types have custom Commands, etc.?

Weā€™ve talked with SmartThings and they know it wonā€™t be practical in the long term to rule out the use of custom commands by OAuth web services SmartApps, but apps like SmartTiles, SmartRules, Sharp Tools, etc., may face some tough limitations in the meantime.

I hear you. The custom commands feature under RM is so useful. One such example is a custom command on my harmony activity switch. Rather than creating a rule that says

(a) IF these switches(activities) are on AND I am not present THEN turn off switch

ā€¦it can be simply put that

(b) IF I am not present THEN hub action off

rule (b) is more useful because the switches do not always appear in their active state, so using rule (a) would see that the switch is off and not do anything.

This is just one example of how I use the custom commands.

2 Likes

To @Automatic00 's point. Custom commands in RM can negate the need for an entire seperate app.

For example I use custom commands to set my Ecobee modes while also setting my Routines.

I am also having an issue with this but I also had to get a new phone last weekend and had do do a fresh install. Iā€™m able to sign into the app and see all my rules I just canā€™t add any at the moment since it thinks I havenā€™t purchased the app.

And I second @Drewbert34 point as I use custom commands to enable/disable AutoLock on my Schlage door locks.

1 Like

Great app! Any plans to add the second parameter (dimming duration in seconds) for setLevel? Itā€™s an official ST capability.

Just paid for the full app. Disappointed (but I didnā€™t notice) that it doesnā€™t have thermostat control. Add me to the list looking for that. Iā€™ll wait, patiently.

I have a question regarding STā€™s scheduling limitations. Itā€™s said to have a limit of 4 active schedules. Does SR fall into that limit? Based on number of rules, or even use 1 of 4 as a recurring schedule?

I have other apps that use the schedule function, and am wondering if Iā€™m going to have rethink things.

Thanks for the input guys. I see the value in adding custom command support. Weā€™ll think about it and see if we can get any info out of SmartThings about what the restrictions may look like long term. This will be low priority for a while though.

1 Like

Yes, we might add this. The only issue is that some dimmers do not actually support this, so it could cause some confusion.

1 Like

Itā€™ll be in 2.1.

The limit from SmartThings is 4 scheduled events per SmartApp, not total. We handle scheduling your scheduled events carefully, so there is no need to worry about this limit. Feel free to make as many scheduled rules as you need :slight_smile:.

3 Likes

Fantastic, thanks. Excited to dig into this app.

1 Like

Really glad I found this app. I was struggling sometimes with RM, and really prefer this method of simple rules for me. I really really really hope though it didnā€™t disappear like some apps do.

Iā€™m still getting in to all ST stuff and thinking up what I can do, it would be great if SR users in here (or a separate post), could screen shot their rules for ideas. I know it all depends on what ST ā€œthingsā€ each had, but sometimes could be substituted or tweaked. Itā€™s more the ideas that could be shared would be great.

I can start a new post to keep it clear off this more ā€œsupportā€ thread?

Thanks

3 Likes