Smartenit Dual Load Controller (ZBMLC30)

I have been using SmartThings for years and I rarely have had a problem getting a device to join my hub, but no matter what I do, I cannot get my SmartThings Hub v3 to see the Smartenit ZBMLC30 (Model 4040B). I have tried scanning. I have tried adding the device by brand. I have tried factory resets. I have tried with the custom device handler. I have played with my Zigbee channel settings. I have tried everything I could find on this Community to get it to work, but I have nothing. I am stuck and I am wondering if anyone has some ideas on how to get this device to be seen by my hub. Thank you in advance.

You can’t get it to join at all or you can’t get control of both loads?

If you can’t get it to join at all, this device is fairly unusual in its reset process and you do need to read the manual carefully.

There is only one “SET” button, but it is used for a number of different functions depending on how long you press it for. So you need to observe the LED on the device itself to see what function you have enabled. :thinking:

With the device on power, hold the set button for at least 20 seconds and you should see the LED on the device flash go off for one second and then begin flashing rapidly. While it is flashing rapidly, it is in join mode.

If the smartthings hub is trying to add a Zigbee device at that moment, you will see the LED on the smartenIT device change to a slow blink. When the join is complete, the LED will be a solid light.

If you don’t hold the set button for long enough initially, at about 10 to 12 seconds it will blink three times. Keep pressing the SET button. If you let go of the set button after the three blinks you will have changed the profile to something that works with a control 4 system, but you will not have joined it to your SmartThings account. You have to keep pressing the SET button until you see the LED go off and then come back on again blinking rapidly.

And the one that I think is really annoying, and is the reason why you have to watch the LED closely, is if you hold the set button for 15 seconds instead of 20 it will do a soft reset. The LED does not go off and then come back on again flashing quickly. Instead it just starts flashing quickly. You have to keep pressing until you see the LED go off and then start flashing again if you want to join it to a new smartthings network.

So the timing on this device can be quite tricky, but as long as you are seeing the right flash patterns, you should hopefully be able to get it to work.

All of that said, I have no idea which if any DTHs work with this device and the current app to give you control of both loads, I’m not up-to-date. @johnconstantelo might know more.

1 Like

I have some of these. I’m not using them yet, but I did test them before putting them away.

I’ll get one out and see what if it still works with ST, and look to see what DTH it is using.

edit: I think holding the button for 20 seconds, until the light starts flashing, puts it into pairing mode, but will confirm this soon.

I do have the official DTH, which doesn’t seem to be available now, and will share if the the Zigbee multi switch DTH doesn’t work, or if you would just like to have it. But I don’t think that will have anything to do with it not pairing.

** Ok, so with mine anyway… Holding down the button for twenty seconds or so, does put it into pairing mode, indicated by rapid led flashes.

It pairs as a “Thing”, and Zigbee Multi Switch with Power DTH works, but it doesn’t create a child device, and I’ve not tested the power metering.

I now recall that the official DTH didn’t create a child device either, but that does remind me of something that I worked out, that makes it useful as only a single switch.

The button will cycle between the 110 and 220 relay optoins sequentially including the on and off state of each. . When you have the switch on the desired setting, press and hold the button for about 3-5 seconds, and that will be saved as the action for power on and off for Smartthings, as well as being the state of power on after power loss… There might be a little more to it than that, but that’s pretty much the gist of, and it’s fairly intuitive after that.

Not sure if anyone ever had it working with two different switches, but the ability to set the default relay and also in either the NO or NC state, makes it versatile enough.

Good luck!

^^^ After sleeping on this, I’m almost certain that there was at one time independent relay control, showing as two devices within Smartthings.

Maybe I’m imagining it, or maybe something became broken within the last year after an update?

I’ll try to have another look this weekend, to see if I can sort it out.

1 Like

Back in 2016 the manufacturer provided a DTH which offered control of both relays with the classic app. However, I believe that stopped working, like a number of other DTHs, after some changes to the parent/child Architecture and it was not updated for the 2018 version of the app and is no longer supported.

Another Community member later created a version for the 2018 app which did have control of both relays, but no energy monitoring.

However, I believe both of those code authors are no longer active in the community. :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Thanks for the info…

I guess It’s been longer than I can put my finger on, as to when I last used these with both relays showing in Smartthings.

Maybe there will be enough info floating around to figure something out.

1 Like

@JDRoberts, @blkwll, thank you for all of these ideas and information. I have tried all of your ideas, but I cannot get my hub to find the ZBMLC30. I don’t think I am getting my device correctly into pairing mode.

When I hold the Set button for 20 seconds, nothing happens. When it is powered on, the Status led immediately starts flashing fast. After I hold the button for 20 seconds, nothing ever happens. The Status led never goes solid. It never goes to a slow flash. Not even for a moment. So I still think I am just not able to get it into pairing mode.

If/when I can ever get it paired, I will be very interested in your additional information about the DTH. Do you have any other ideas on how to get this paired?

I’ll give this some more thought, but the first thing I’m wondering is if it may have actually paired when you attempted to add it by scanning nearby.

The reason I ask, is when I did a reset and a rescan, the device didn’t actually show as being found, but it was sitting there in the No Room Assigned, labeled a “Thing”

Other than that, the only thing that comes to mind, at the moment, would be distance from the hub, I think mine was about 15 feet away, when I last paired one.

edit: I’ll hook one up again a little later and describe as best I can, what the unit does exactly when resetting and pairing, at least that way you might get an idea if you have a bum one.

OK, forget about the 20 second thing, I think that’s not doing the trick. Also, I think there are some other things that are not working exactly as I had previously described, but I’ll stay focused on the pairing part, for now.

Ok, So i went into the IDE device list and deleted the one I had paired a few days ago, which immediately put the device back into pairing mode, which is indicated by rapid blue flashing light.

Since you probably don’t have it paired already, I’ll do a reset, by removing power from the device, then pressing and holding the button while reapplying power, then releasing the button after the device is once again repowered. In my case since I have it spliced into a three prong plug, I unplugged it, held the button down, and replugged it, then let go of the button.

So, doing the previous described step, the device is in pairing mode, although mine already was since it went into pairing after I deleted it from the IDE devices list. So, both ways, a flashing rapid blue light is the result.

I’m just going to describe the steps as I do them…

Now, through the ST app, I select the Devices from the bottom of the app, then hit the + sign, and select Add Device. Then I’m selecting Scan Nearby…

The blue LED is changing it’s blinking rate, and eventually goes solid blue.

OK, so it’s paired, showing the solid blue light…

However, once again, it didn’t show as being found, but is listed in the “No room assigned” category. It very well may show in yours, if it’s working properly.

Mine is showing Smartenit Metering Device as the name, because it found the DTH I have installed, this time. Although previously it did not, and it displayed as “Thing”… Really not sure why this is different than it was the previous time, as the DTH should have been available both times.

But in your case if the device was found, it will probably be listed as “Thing”, in which case you will want to assign it the DTH of “Zigbee Multi Switch with Power” through the IDE.

If by some luck you mange to get it paired and you’re not familiar with changing the DTH (Device Type Handler), we’ll get you in the right direction.

If it’s still not pairing,… It’s a puzzle, at this point.

Good luck!

1 Like