Smart Lock Guest Access - "Couldn't download"?

I just got an email from Samsung (grammatical errors are theirs) saying the app will be updated to fix the issue soon.

"We have got the information from our support engineers that you will be getting an app update soon from which your issue will get fix. However, we don’t have an ETA on this but it will automatically get update.

If you still experience the same issue after the update, please do let us know."

This “smart lock” is nearly useless without being able to change codes via the app. Come on guys, get a fix in already!

This is also broken for me on the Pixel 3 and Android 10

Yes this issue has gone on for far to long. I am considering replacing my SmartThings hub over it.

1 Like

just got the KwikSet SmartCode 914 for christmas and i find out that there’s an issue that’s been going on for a long time. sad

Also just bought a KwikSet SmartCode lock. Same issue. Come on Samsung. This has been an issue since September?

Must be an Android 10 thing. Can’t download it either. Same error. My Note 10+ just updated to Android 10 and now this… Classic app also stopped working (the smart Lock guest access that is) Sucks! We have friends/family all the time that stay with us and managing this from the Schlage lock (Z-wave) is a pain! Hope this gets fixed soon

Having this issue as well on Android 10. It’s been months since this issue was identified…

Something happened here with my Samsung Galaxy S10. Come on, what’s going on?

I too am happy to have found this thread, as a Google Pixle 3 owner, I was going insane trying to figure out the issue. Not having the capability to add and remove guest codes to my lock from my phone is frustrating. Since the lock is on a vacation rental property 2 hours away, we were hoping to be able to provide custom codes to renters and after the rental delete or deactivate the code. It is surprising that this is still in the developers court!

Why is this not fixed yet? Its freaking January. I love Samsung, but get it together guys!

I think I just resolved this same issue on my devices, Wooooooo!!!
I was getting the “couldn’t download…” error message for months as well and kept waiting for a fix.
What finally solved this issue for me today was to go to my Pixel 3’s App Permissions option within the phone’s settings. I enabled all the permissions and then tried using the Smart Lock Guest Access again and this time it worked. I’m pretty sure it was specifically the storage access permission that helped, which might make sense, given the issue was download related. Once it was working, I disabled all of the permissions again and it’s still working.
Hope this works for y’all, too!

3 Likes

Wow, you got it! Now I’m so mad that I didn’t think about that… :joy:
I can confirm that it’s the storage permission for the app. I went to the app info for the SmartThings app and hit Permissions. Storage was listed under Denied, so I tapped it and hit Allow. I launched the app, hit Smart Lock Guest Access, and no download error!

Thanks! You figured out the simple fix that support couldn’t manage to get us for months!
Such an easy fix for them too. All they need to do is have the app prompt for the permission after an update…

I did not enable Storage permissions, but suddenly today, it just started working. Either way, relieved. I still had a tablet on Android 9 that I could use, but I manage an airBnb remotely, and feel better with some redundancy.

BTW, I did enable storage permissions a couple of weeks back, but when that didn’t change anything, I put it back to disabled. So, not sure that was actually a fix or if it was coincidental with Samsung getting a real fix in place. Either way, nice to have it working again.

I haven’t had a chance to confirm, but I have heard from colleagues that a plugin update went out today and this should be fixed. Please let me know if you’re still unable to download on Android 10.

1 Like

It’s finally working for me again on my Pixel 3XL, Android 10.

2 Likes

My storage permissions were already enabled so I disabled them and it’s working. I think they may have finally fixed the issue. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Agreed, whatever they updated finally worked, fully updated Pixel 3 here.

1 Like

This is an issue in the Pixel 4 as well. The new Smart Things Smart Locks app can see the existing locks, but I can not add new or delete old codes in the new app . The app says to locks installd.

Samsung has been silent on this issue.

In the meantime i have the Classic and new Smart things app on my phone just so I can alter lock codes.

This is troublesome. I really enjoy the Smart Things security systems, but I can’t continue to run two apps in order to manage my locks.

1 Like