Smart Lighting - Turn on and set white level (color temperature)

This was released today. I just did a quick test at home using Smart Lighting to Turn On & Set Color to Soft White with an OSRAM RGBW bulb and it worked as I expected.

4 Likes

Is there a more robust/official process for announcing enhancements to official SmartThings Smart apps? Like creating a topic in the Announcements section? It would be good if I could subscribe to a certain area of this forum for these enhancement announcements instead of getting lucky on reading an existing topic.

1 Like

I already have (and use) the Smart Lighting app; is there something I need to do to get the order to get the update? I confess I’m not familiar with how updates like these work…

I just looked for the new setup option using one of my Hue white ambiance bulbs as a guinea pig, but no joy. Am I doing it right? :upside_down:

Would this change have impacted the color mapping for Hue lights? My warm white lights are not very warm anymore. Suddenly it’s very bright in my house. Previously warm white was much warmer than soft white… now it is much brighter and cooler in color than soft white. Other colors don’t appear to have been affected for me.

The change does impact all lights including hue. Previously some shades of white were incorrect on some devices, now they should be more consistent across the different brands.

See end of this post for an explanation what was changed in the white shades.

1 Like

I’m in the UK and don’t yet see this update. Has it. Even pushed to U.K.?

Cheers

This doesn’t work for Hue White Ambiance lights. With them, I can’t choose the option “Turn On & Set Color.” Is this going to be released for this type of bulb as well or just the full color bulbs? I can now see the “Soft White, Daylight, etc.” for my color lights so I’m pretty sure I at least have the update.

2 Likes

I see what you’re saying and I made sure there is a ticket requesting that functionality assigned to the responsible team.

2 Likes

Awesome! Thanks!

So plus side, i can now change the color temperature of my LiFX and Osram at the same time as my Hues. Downside is the “Warm” setting is still much whiter than I prefer. Can we get an actual color temperature slider instead of just those 4 choices?

3 Likes

I’d love a slider as well. That would be much more exact for us nutjobs that need perfection!

2 Likes

I just checked my Smart Lighting app and didn’t see it? It only says turn on & set level for my Osram turnable white.

I have the Osram Tuneable and am running the Device Handler “ZigBee White Color Temperature Bulb” with full color temperature control. The “ZigBee White Color Temperature Bulb” can be found in the Device Handler section of smart things public.

It already is paired as ZigBee White Color Temperature Bulb and I can control the color temperature in app.
The problem I have is the Smart Lighting does not provide me an option to turn on & set dim level & set color temperature.
All I get is turn on & set dim level.

I would recommend you go to the community, log into the developer site plus your location then open Device List. There you will hopefully see the Type “ZigBee White Color Temperature Bulb”.

Note that if you have this driver, the detail page will have a slider on the left with the temperature “nomenclature” (i.e., Daylight, Cool White, Moonlight) on the right. Again, I am looking at mine at this moment.

also, if you’re trying to change color using an exiting smart lighting rule, make sure you go back in to the “what do you want to do?” option.

Still not working for me…

----Edit----
Smartthings support confirmed this is missing for turnable white bulbs.

They could also create/modify the Color Temp command to check the on-state and automatically turn on the bulb if the color temp is changed. Then when you move the slider (and bulb is off), the bulb will turn on and change color temp w/o further user interaction. It is already what happens for brightness.

This is done in the DHs for the TP-Link Bulbs. It was necessary so I could control the lights from my Logitech Harmony (which turned them on by setting brightness).