Smart Lighting batterypowered dimmer? [UK]

Hello

Newbie to ST (preparing to upgrade my lights etc in a big way).

I’m trying to set up 2 way (3 way?) control for dimmers.

I am planning for a Candeo dimmer and to set up some kind of push button dimmer (I’ve acquired a hue dimmer control or IKEA dimmer).

I understand I can sync the dimmers via Smart Lighting.

In Smart Lighting I can only see my wired “Switches” and Smart Bulbs but no “Remotes & Buttons”.

Is there something obvious I’m missing?

Please help!
Amberish

Welcome! :sunglasses:

Do you also have a Smartthings/Aeotec hub and if so, which one? Having one gives you a wider choice of candidate devices.

Also, do you have a hue hub?

finally, what country are you in? the device selection does vary by region.

I have got the Aeotec Hub, no Philips Hue hub, and live in the UK.

I’ve got the hue dimmer to connect to the Aeotec Hub using an Edge Driver, but I can only get it to act like a 4 button remote rather than a dimmer.

I’m not sure about smartlighting itself, which has some unique features. I’m going to tag @orangebucket on this, who is in the UK and I know has tried several different batterypowered buttons and remotes in the past.

Actually I’ve only ever used four button types and I have never had any dimmers apart from virtual ones.

In SmartThings a dimmer is a multilevel switch that is capable of being set from 0 to 100%. So a push button dimmer would need to be using the buttons locally to control its dimmer setting, just like using a knob or a slider or something like that.

I have used the button marketed as an ‘IKEA Dimmer’ but that is a misleading name that doesn’t appear on the actual device, which is called the ‘On/Off Switch’. As far as SmartThings is concerned it is two separate buttons, each capable of reporting ‘pushed’ (a short press) or ‘held’ (a long press). That is it. When paired directly to IKEA smart dimmable lights I believe the device may behave slightly differently, but it is still two buttons and as far as I am aware it is the light that determines pressing the 0 button means off, the 1 means on, and holding the button ramps the dimmer up and down. I am happy to stand corrected on the details but I believe I have the broad concept close enough.

Although that is specific, I believe that is the sort of issue being encountered.

1 Like

Thanks!

In the US, the easiest way is zwave directly association between two zwave devices, but that doesn’t fit the OP’s setup.

If you add a hue bridge to the OP setup, then I believe the community created edge Driver from @blueyetisoftware might be able to expose some handheld dimmers that were attached to that bridge, but he would need to say for sure. They might also only work as individual buttons. :thinking:

There may be some Tuya dimmers that work, but I don’t know specifics. Hopefully someone else will post if they do.

At one point several years ago, one of the IKEA rotary dimmers (ICTC-G-1) did work for Dimming. It was the round one that didn’t have any smaller buttons. But I believe that model was discontinued by IKEA, and I don’t know if anything with similar functionality has replaced it. @automated_house might know more.

With a hub, the Hue tap dial supports the rotation as well, but you only get events that are for right and left. The automation would have to know what to do with those. If the light supports incremental dimming as an action, you could use it. There isn’t a way to feed a dim value to another device via an automation.

1 Like

Thanks for all the information so far (although I’ll confess some of the specifics have gone over my head).

I’m looking at using the Candeo Dimmer (Zigbee) as a primary controller for most switches (with a dumb dimmable LED) , which is a light switch with a round dimmer instead of a regular switch.

Based on the previous comments it sounds like I should try a Philips Hue Button with the Hue Bridge.

If that doesn’t give dimming then it sounds like I’ll have to go with a button for on / off and control the brightness in the app.

The Hue setup would allow you to dim Hue bulbs. I don’t think it would work for other lights.

Like Gledopto, some Candeo models can be added to a Philips hue bridge. I’m pretty sure they would then be exposed to smartthings.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Candeo-Dimmer-Module-parent/dp/B091GTK61Y?th=1

At that point, you would have two ways to control them.

In smartthings they would appear like a hue bulb attached to a hue bridge. (if I’m right about that, that’s how the gledoptos work) . So they could be included in Routines and Automations.

And any other devices attached to the hue bridge, like friends of Hue switches, could control them as a parallel means of control. Those other devices don’t always show up in smartthings, but it doesn’t really matter: they work as a handheld or wallmount device to control that particular candeo device through the hue bridge.

I don’t know if that meets the OP’s requirements, though.

For example, I use a hue batterypowered dimmer switch this way. The only thing it works with are devices attached to the same hue bridge, but that’s good enough for what I need. :thinking:

Correct. I should have said the Hue dimmer would control bulbs connected through the Hue Hub. That isn’t limited to Hue bulbs.

1 Like

I forgot to mention that quite a few smartthings customers use a button device that can trigger individual scenes to set specific dim levels. Like one button for 25% brightness, a different button for 50% brightness, and a button for full on. Or single click, double click, and maybe triple click if that’s available on the device.

That’s a decent approach, and works well enough for many people, although I don’t know if it’s enough for the OP.

So it’s not 0 to 100% dimming from the batterypowered remote, but it is something.

1 Like

Thanks

Will try the Hue Bridge approach.

Question: The Hue network is on Zigbee, and the other sensors etc I’m working with are also Zigbee but connected to the ST Hub. Will that create a conflict with 2 Zigbee networks trying to operate within 1 roof?

Best Regards
Amberish

Probably not, lots of people run multiple Zigbee networks and may not even realize it. (For example, some cable settop boxes use Zigbee, and many smart meters do.) and of course a significant number of people run smartthings and a hue bridge without any issues of that type. It’s a popular setup.

If you do run into an issue, it’s very easy to change the Zigbee channel on the hue bridge, and that should solve any interference issues. But again, they don’t usually happen. :sunglasses:

(I myself am running six different Zigbee networks in my home, no problem.)