Smart dimmer switch turning on smart ceiling fan switch (Treatlife)

I have a TreatLife switch controlling living room overhead recessed led’s.
In the same 3 gang box I have two Treatlife ceiling fan/light dimmer switches.

When I turn on the overhead lights to about mid-dimming level the fan lights come on. They will not turn off independently on their own and are locked on. I can dim them but not shut them off. The app shows them as ‘off’ when then are lit. If I dim the overheads fully or increase to max the ceiling fan lights will turn off again.

If I shut off the overhead lights the fan lights will go off, and I can turn them on/off and dim.
This happens at the switches and on the app as well.

They did not do this when I first installed them two weeks ago. I had set them up as a light group but have since deleted the group in the app and in Alexa skills.

I have reset all the switches multiple times and powered them off at the circuit breaker.

Every time I reinstall them the name I had given them automatically is restored in the app. (“Fan light 1, Fan light 2 and Living room lights”)

Anyway to restore them to blank factory default?
Is this issue because they share a common neutral wire?

Very frustrating. Thanks for any help

What is the model number of the switches that are controlling the fans? And are they controlling the fan speed, or just the light kits in the fans?

and

It definitely sounds like a wiring issue, but not just because they share a neutral. I’ll have to leave further discussion to others who know more about this aspect. :thinking:

Did you try getting in touch with treatlife support?

I have not yet. It started happening 3 days ago and I just started to address them today.

They share a common line hot wire and common neutral.

Thanks for the factory reset link. Will try and post back.

So I did factory reset on all 3 switches. From the app I had to go into device properties, scroll down, press remove, and remove & wipe data.

(Not just press and hold the name of the device on main screen and click remove)

Names were forgotten on each device and model number was displayed instead.

Unfortunately, this didnt fix my problem.
From 30% - 80%.dimming range on overhead light switch, the fan lights come on, wont turn off and flicker at various levels.

Resetting the devices is not going to solve a wiring issue, unfortunately. Hopefully somebody with experience in this area can help you, or again, try contacting treatlife support.

I’m having the same issue. Smart dimmer turns on fan light when dimmer is at partial capacity. Smart fan switch is separate switch in same gang box. They share common line and neutral wires. Wiring seems to be done correctly, but I can’t figure out the problem.

I found this Lutron link suggesting a debuzzing coil but never did it, and have just been avoiding the mid level dimming location bc not sure if it will fit.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/360283.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjRgffcv-70AhVkm-AKHYlgARcQFnoECAQQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0tuOb6bIkgAwwcLPh_i4IR

I’m seeing something similar but different. I have two fan/dimmer switches controlling two fans in separate rooms but they share hot and neutrals.

Turning the lights on one of them cause the other one to turn on and then off briefly.

It didn’t seem to act this way when I installed them about a week ago but it’s possible I missed it. Either way, they seem to be interacting with each other.

Found an Amazon review of a guy saying they feedback the extra voltage down the neutral wire when dimming so you are unable to have multiple of them on the same circuit. I obviously didn’t know this prior to purchasing. Treatlife has also reached out to him trying to bribe him to take the review down :expressionless:

I saw you put a long post about this in the Fan Switch FAQ, but that level of detail is getting pretty off topic there so I’m responding here.

You asked how current ranging from 0 to 99% on switch A could generate enough to briefly turn on switch B just because they share a neutral.

You should talk to an electrician, but the answer is almost certainly “inrush current“ which can take you well above the 99% mark, and in the case of LEDs even up to several times the maximum depending on the exact wiring and switch model. It’s partly just physics and partly a design issue.

Are the Treatlife switches UL or ETL listed? If they are, there’s a max surge Requirement (part of the fire safety specifications) that should prevent this.

If they aren’t, there really isn’t much you can do except separate the neutrals, which can be easier said than done. (Limiter switches aren’t usually much help in this situation. They’ll probably come up in a Google search, but they’re really intended for DC current not typical US household AC setups. “Limiter switches,” or “soft start” switches intended to reduce inrush current are different from “limit switches“ used for household appliances. The latter cut the current altogether when a particular event happens which isn’t what you’re trying to do.)

Anyway… Yes, it can happen. It’s very annoying when it does, but it may just mean that that particular model switch is not a good match to that particular wiring. :thinking:

BTW, if the flicker was occurring when you turned switch A off, that’s usually a different problem, typically a loose connection somewhere.

I would think turning on the dimmer and turning off the dimmer would have the same effect during the transition of on to off vs off to on. You’re saying that’s an incorrect assumption?

A loose connection would be great to find and I’d happily eat my words if that were the case. I guess I’ll open it all up just to verify.

Yes, that’s incorrect. There is a very real difference because turning on will activate inrush current. Turning off does not.

Turning off does create a voltage drop, and if there are loose connections that can cause arcing, but that’s a very different issue.

Anyway, another light on the same circuit turning on and then off again when you turn on the first switch is easily explained by inrush current: it’s on for the duration of the inrush.

Another light on the same circuit flickering when you turn the first switch off is not so easily explained, and usually involves a loose connection. Definitely check if that is happening as it can be a fire hazard.

Another light on the same circuit which was partially on getting brighter when you turn the first switch off is just current load distribution. That’s normal and not typically a safety issue. But then you shouldn’t see a flicker, you just see the brightness increase because now there’s more current available for that fixture.

The original problem reported in this thread was of yet a different nature, so I’m not sure what was going on with that one. :thinking:

I’m definitely going to take it all apart in a couple hours here but light B in my case behaves the same way whether or not light A is being turned on or off. I wouldn’t call it a flicker at all though, it’s a very consistent quick on and quick off.

Probably not inrush current, then. At this point, I leave it to the experts. :thinking:

Wiring is fine. After additional testing, if I slowly dim light A, light B will dim with it, slowly until I let go, then it will return to where it was. Meaning, if light B was on at 15% while I move light A, it will move along with it, and then return to 15% when I’m done.

If light B is off and I turn on light A, then light B will quickly dim “up” and then turn off. If light B is off and I turn off light A, then light B will quickly dim “down” and then turn off.

It’s extremely consistent and repeatable and not really indicative of a bad wiring problem. Really disappointing. I’ll be returning at least 2 of the 4 I purchased.

1 Like

@JDRoberts I’ve decided to remove all of these from my house as they aren’t UL/ETL listed which is actually against code for my area. :frowning:

1 Like

I have been fighting similar issues with the DS02 models. Tried installing a LUT-MLC on each light which in the end I needed to remove once I found the right LED to use. Tried Maxlite LED, incandescent, even CFL. Finally put FEIT LED bulbs in , problem solved! No more turning on light in one room & having lights come on in separate room. Wanted to share my findings.

1 Like