Slow response to triggers and events

SC=Staples Connect in this context. Good stability, easy device install, limited devices, and limited features for the devices it does have. Support is typical for a big box store. (When I first looked at it support was only available weekdays before 5 pm.) No idea if you can do custom code. When I looked at it, it didn’t have a presence sensor.

I have a couple of friends with it and they ended up using the end device’s native app for a lot of stuff as well.

All depends on your use case.

As I’ve mentioned, I’m putting off my big HA projects until Summer 2016 because I really want voice control and I figure there will be more market ready plug and play options then.

Staples connect is still on my candidate list, although I’m guessing the main contenders will be SmartThings/Samsung vs Homekit/Insteon. But we’ll see.

BTW, support staff, community staff, and the community as a whole for ST all get 5 stars in my book, and nobody else gets more than 3. Creative, helpful, generous, open minded people all around. That can always change as well, but right now it’s a huge factor in my willingness to give ST more time to bake.

What do you mean by “addressed”?

SmartThings has acknowledged cloud scaling issues, as well as problems in the scheduling subsystem. They made a major database engine migration last year which led to some noticeable improvements (for a while?)…

They are working on both of these continuously; though the fundamental architectural benefit of Hub V2.0 (local processing) will inherently take a huge load off the backend.

Event logging, SmartApp distribution, user interface updates, and such, will still likely depend entirely on the Cloud, but perhaps with less “real-timeness” needed, the processes can be optimized. ?

For me the past few months I feel ST performance has taken a dive when your talking about consistent firing of events.

I can only presume that SmartThings is experiencing wonderful growth, and, unfortunately, that brings scaling issues – a bit of a game of leap-frog. :frog:

With Hub V2.0, a big part of the solution (I / we hope), is that each new Customer will also come with their own chunk of processing power (i.e., the local processing in their Hub V2.0); thus, at least a part of the scaling problem is smoothed.

Ah yes, the old trick of make everything run so bad in version 1.0 that you just have to buy version 2.0

3 Likes

lol. The cynic in me was just thinking same thing. Although I honestly believe the lack of current improvements is being stifled by the push to 2.0.

Interesting. Hadn’t thought of it until now but Insteon would make a great acquisition for Apple if it wanted to put out its own HA hardware quickly.

Should we just hibernate for a few months until the “SmartThings Spring”?

2 Likes

Ha! If only. I’d still manage to jump to whatever the next shiny tech thing by then. I have to keep focused or I’ll go broke and end up divorced.

1 Like

All of the problems that I have only occur with the Zigbee devices. All of my Zwave devices have worked flawlessly since I received the ST Hub last October. I have narrowed this problem down to ST Zigbee channel being locked at WiFi channel 14. I talked to ST support and their response was they were now aware of many other factors that affect the devices, including cold weather (every time the outside temp drops 20 degrees all of my ST Zigbee devices die), electrical interference, neighbor’s WiFi, etc. I also have a HUE hub (Zigbee) and it works without any problems, but it can change to a range of different WiFi channels to avoid interference.

2 Likes

There is a difference between what is stated to be supported and what really is. I to purchased ST hub based on stated compatibilities and found out such is not the case. None of my devices have been working properly or at all. Just last night the door lock unlocked 30 plus minutes after we arrived home, ST notified me that I just arrived. Bit scary and not safe at all. New hub on the way and hopefully that correct issues somewhat, but I agree disclosure on what exactly works and what doesn’t would be fair. I think ST has potential, but need to be honest about capabilities to date

3 Likes

Why are you getting a new hub?

I don’t know what else to do, uninstalled and reinstalled devices numerous times, optimized location of hub, even ST devices are not working properly, so basically nothing seems to be working properly and now the hub is going offline, happened twice in the past week. So figured that start from scratch again but this time with new hub to see if that resolves some issues. Current situation/hub is useless and not safe. Support has had me uninstall and reinstall devices but nothing changes, now worse then ever. If you or anybody have any suggestions I’m open to give a shot as nothing that support has had me do or tried has worked thus far.

Yeah - Smart Things is anything but Smart. I’ve had so many problems and it’s always an issue with ST. These days I basically just use everything separately (WeMo devices with the WeMo app and Hue with the Hue app). Most of the time SmartThings doesn’t know which lights are on or off, when told to turn on two lights it will only turn on one, etc. WeMo outages seem to be solved (for the moment) but the system is completely unreliable. I’m going back to my custom-built approach for tying devices together. I’m definitely not spending another penny on “Smart” Things until they prove they can actually do what they claim.

@ilittlewood - do you only have WeMo devices? I have no issues with triggers and events. I just recently had an issue with sunset/sunrise that came up out of no where, but that has been fixed in the last platform updat. I don’t have WeMo devices or Hues, just zwave switces, assorted zwave/zigbee motion sensors, and some zwave/zigbee door sensors.

I do have some triggers, though, such as @bravenel’s excellent Brighten When Open. (Thanks, Bruce!)

This does require an “immediate response” where I use it and it responds in less than a second every time.

Basically, I’m wondering if this is an issue with WeMo specifically. Have you contacted support about this? I’m curious to see what they have said. WeMo is a cloud-to-cloud integration. As such, there are several points of failure. All my integrations are direct through the hub (at the moment).

Would you mind sharing your experience with Staples Connect? Since the SmartThings V2 hub appears to be delayed indefinitely, I’m considering moving “mission-critical” portion of my HA to CS and keeping ST for “toy” projects.

2 Likes

I have hub 2.0 and I can tell you it doesn’t make a difference. Lots of event response delays most of the time.