Simulated Thermostats and Amazon Echo / Alexa

Hi!

I’m trying to get Alexa to work with the SmartThings virtual device “Simulated Thermostat”.

I set up a simulated thermostat in the IDE and was able to add it to the my Amazon account as a Thermostat.

Alexa can read the set point and whether it’s on heat or cool, but won’t answer questions about the temperature. Also when I try to set the set point it sends the command to the thermostat but it doesn’t change and I get this error:

error groovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: java.lang.String.floatValue() is applicable for argument types: () values: [] 
debug currentHeatingSetpoint: 72 currentThermostatSetpoint: 72 
debug Mode: heat TemperatureScale: F 
debug Set Bedroom Virtual Thermostat setpoint to [targetSetpoint:[scale:FAHRENHEIT, value:73]] 

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Been having the same issue myself, they work flawlessly with sharptools and actiontiles, but Alexa generates the same error you’re getting. Was planning to contact smartthings support about it, not sure if simulated devices are actually supported or not though

1 Like

I went ahead and submitted a support ticket. I tried lots of different thermostat device handlers, they all give the same error.

I’m having this same issue and swear at one point she would tell me the temperature, but now all she says is “device doesn’t support that”. How do you get her to tell you if it’s on heating or cooling?