Simple Irish/UK socket

Hi I’m new to this, I need to set up a lamp/ lamps in a rental so I can make the place look occupied when it’s empty. I don’t want to go with smart bulbs as they, if I’m correct, stop being smart if they are turned off… so basically looking for cheapest option. Are wall sockets the way to go? I pretty much want the tenants to be able to use the lamps normally, But I want the option to control them remotely too. Most of what I’ve seen on amazon and eBay mention Alexa, Google etc. but im not seeing any specific smartthings ones, other than actual samsung branded ones, usually in kits… which I should have bought in the first place!!
I’m fairly handy, so if maguyvering is required I should be ok… but straight out the box would be great.
Thanks in advance…

Sockets will have the same problem as smart bulbs - if the tenants turn the lamp off at its switch, you won’t be able to turn the lamp back on via the socket. You could maybe get around this by having them use a button (see button FAQ linked in the lighting FAQ below) to turn the lamps on and off, but if there are any glitches they’ll find a workaround and you’ll be out of luck.

IMO the most reliable/foolproof way would be to replace the switch for an overhead fixture with a smart switch, but it’ll be more expensive and more work.

Here’s an FAQ that may be helpful:

Since you’re in the UK, there’s a nice option for plug-in table lights that allows you to have a Z wave control device on the cord, which makes it work pretty much like any other table lamp. It’s expensive, though.

I believe @anon36505037 has tried these and may have more to add.

There’s also a smart bulb which has a button on it for on/off so can solve the problem again for table lamps. I know some of our UK members have it, but I don’t know where they bought it. Here’s the US link.

https://us.sengled.com/products/element-touch

1 Like

Thanks Mark that was very informative, some great ideas. Thanks for taking the time to post all that. I appreciate it.
Boyd

2 Likes

These look great too. Almost foolproof?!

Robin these seem like a great idea, not sure about the buzz though?!