Selling home in 2019, can't find current ST hub transfer instructions

Very timely @JDRoberts. The realtors and builders around here I’ve helped have said it really hasn’t helped them sell or improve the home’s value.

What could be helpful is that if the smart stuff is left behind, the realtor can state something to the effect that “this house has the capabilities of leveraging the included smart devices and appliances if the new owner so chooses to replicate what was demonstrated…”. I’ve seen this at last year’s parade of homes in our area, as well as using that opportunity to up sell an agent’s or builder’s other services, or another 3rd party company implementer.

1 Like

Again, all of these are examples of professionally installed systems that would, presumably, come with some type of support contact. I would not classify these systems as “DIY”…since, you’re not doing it yourself but instead having someone do it for you.

1 Like

Not really. One house (our next door neighbor) did have all the devices installed by the homeowner, and the agent used those exact words tell the buyer that the seller was leaving everything behind, and if he wanted to use them that he’d have smart home capabilities up and running on his own if he wanted to do it himself. They also offered their consulting services to help the new homeowner.

The agent later told me that the smart devices did not influence the buyer at all, and that they actually considered having them removed by the seller.

A parade of homes scenario would certainly be a professional install.

Didn’t forget: That’s what I meant by “very specific caveats.” The trick is that these vary by jurisdiction.

In almost all (but not all) US jurisdictions, anything which is physically attached to the house, such as curtain rods, has to be left for the buyer unless specifically listed as an “exclusion.“ (That includes sensors which are screwed into the wall.)

In most jurisdictions, but again, not all, window coverings that were present at the showing can be taken by the buyer. So you can take the drapes, but have to leave the rods. However, there are some jurisdictions where window coverings also have to be left for the buyer unless specifically listed as an exclusion.

Furniture which is not attached to the wall or floor is always assumed to be taken by the seller unless specifically listed as being part of the sale. But bookcases which are screwed into the wall or a Murphy bed attached to the wall might have to be left for the buyer.

Appliances are one of those things which vary by jurisdiction. In some jurisdictions they stay. In other jurisdictions they go with the seller. And still other jurisdictions they either stay or you provide a substitute money allowance. This is one of those that your local realtor will explain.

I believe lighting fixtures have to stay in all US jurisdictions unless specifically listed as exclusions. Light bulbs have to stay in most jurisdictions.

So, very specific caveats, but they do vary by jurisdiction. Don’t try to figure it out logically. Check with your local township if you are not working with a realtor to make sure you get an exact list Of The requirements for where the property is located. :sunglasses:

This also varies by jurisdiction. If a jurisdiction has a separate final inspection, then, yes, that’s usually what would apply. But it’s not about the closing. If it broke between final inspection and closing it gets complicated (and again, varies by jurisdiction).

Final inspections in New York are typically the same day or the day before the closing. And if something is not specifically called out in your contract, that is how you are going to get it. That’s why you should make sure your contract is specific as possible.

And why real estate agents have to be licensed. They should do something for earning those big fat fees. Right?

1 Like

That’s exactly what I said.

Who offered their consulting services? The seller? So, “Buy my home, then pay me to show you how to use it.” ?? As a buyer, I would have walked away from that in a heartbeat.

No the agent. They offer things like this, as well as other home services in the area.

Then again, that is not a DIY system. If you are getting a professional consultation for it, it’s not DIY. You do know what DIY means, right? Do It YOURSELF.

The system was installed by the originally homeowner as a DIY project. All the agent is doing is offering assistance on getting them up and running, or anything else they may need to support it themselves. You are making the assumptions about what the agent’s services and capabilities are. If you insist on pursuing this topic feel free to PM me.