Secondary Account Can't Access Routines via Google Assistant

I am having an issue to the point where I’m either going to get rid of ST or Google Home, just not sure which one yet…

One Hub, 2 Google Accounts, 2 ST accounts…

It’s just me and my wife in the home. I am the master account on ST. I am also the mater account on my “Google Home.” I set everything up on both the ST and Google ends. I have no issues doing anything with the google assistant controlling any of my ST devices or scenes. I then add my wife to my accounts in both ST and google. She can now control all physical ST devices via her voice via google assistant. However, she cannot control the ST scenes via google assistant. For example, if she says, “Hey Google, run Good Morning.” Google then responds something to the effect of, “…I cannot connect to Smartthings…” This use to work a few months ago, now it doesn’t. I’ve been down the rabbit hole of disconnecting her ST account from her google account, then re-adding it to no avail. Anyone know what’s going on here?

Two things…

1. ST just updated their Google Home integration. You might want to read about it in this topic.
  1. This two ST account, two Google account came up earlier as well. There is another topic about this, where you can ask. Unfortunately I cannot find it…
    But try the following, ST is shared with your wife, she can control with the ST app. You set up your account with Google Home, then you share your Google Home with your wife’s account. No cross adding things and defining two homes…

Tagging @oldcomputerwiz, who went through this recently and might can help explain in details.

I honestly don’t recall having any issues with adding my wife other than I had to add the same Google home routines (not Smartthings routines) that were on my account to my wife’s Google account. I did NOT add her Smartthings account to Google. It seems to me that St the time I added my wife I didn’t have any Smartthings routines left in use either. I did this quite awhile ago and honestly don’t remember everything that happened so I could be remembering this incorrectly. The reason I added my wife was to try and improve Google voice recognition for the smart home. It really didn’t work. Functionally remained the same. Even with training, Google has a problem with her voice. Alexa does too. It’s not an accent thing, as we are both from the midwest. I think it’s a timber thing or something similar.

As for the new Google integration, I can’t comment on that at all. I moved all of my 100+ devices (when the one exception of my Honeywell thermostat) to Hubitat a couple months ago so I haven’t had any experience with Smartthings new Google integration.

1 Like