Seam: Temporary Solution for Managing Lock Guest Codes (Jan 2023)

Hi
Session still hanging this morning, but I have emailed you.
Thanks

1 Like

Thought my experience my be helpful to others. I tried to do the ST authorization on Safari several times and it failed each time during the 2FA. I then deleted the Webview once more, tried it on Chrome and it connected the first time. I don’t know if it was just my environment but there maybe a bug with Safari.

Also, I have more than one home on ST and that was not a problem. Although only one device list is created so if you have locks with the same name (ie Front Door) on each home you won’t easily be able to tell them apart. The UI does allow you to rename and add a prefix in the Seam interface once you figure out which lock is which.

Good luck!

1 Like

@sybohy thank you for providing these instructions. I have managed to connect. However, we have multiple locations in SmartThings and different team members manage each location. When I paired SmartThings account in Seam dashboard, it listed all devices from multiple locations within one workspace. I can see there is a delete device option. I am thinking to create a separate workspace for each SmartThings location and then just delete the devices which are not relevant from each Seam workspace. However, before I start deleting the devices in Seam workspace, I wanted to double check with you that it won’t suddenly delete the device from SmartThings? Is it safe to delete the device from Seam workspace without impacting the devices that are connected to SmartThings hub?

@sybohy is it possible to connect to the same ST account on multiple Seam workspaces?

Finally got it paired by deleting the webview, adding again and following the steps

1 Like

Thanks @sybohy for this service.
Just a query, I have already set 15 lock codes (slot 1 to 15) out of 30, through previous rboy app and these codes are still working after shifting to edge and now connecting to your service.
I don’t see any of those codes in Seam and if I add codes through it, will these overwrite my old codes or added to blank slots (16 to 30 in my case).
Appreciated and regards.

@newgatepartners you can delete devices from a workspace and it should be fine. You can then create a different workspace and relink the account. I also totally hear you on segmenting device/locations based on the team members. Unfortunately the current API dashboard sort of “flattens” these structures into a set of device primitives that software developers can then use.

That said, we have a new dashboard product coming out soon. It has roles and permissions, SSO, lets you organize devices by locations and scope access to team members based on those,…etc.

This tool was originally made (and is currently being used) by very larger operators which have 10K+ devices and ops teams in thousands of members. We saw mid-size folks needing access to something similar, so we’re currently working on removing some of the complexity to make it more approachable to smaller operators. I can ask the team to put you on the beta. Do keep in mind that this is a paid product, but I think it will solve most of your issues.

1 Like

What is the cost of this program?

Can I set one code in multiple locks in one go with this?

“What is the cost of this program?”

@GPM, as mentioned in my original message: free; we’re just trying to help out.

Our API is used by large enterprise operators and PMSs like Guesty, Hospitable, Enso, Hostaway…etc. To be frank, our product is not intended for most users in this forum. However, we saw a lot of people struggling with RBoy no longer working and SLGA being inadequate. We figured our API dashboard was better than nothing. So we posted here and extending access to whoever needs it. It’s not super user friendly and my hope is that a couple of software developers here will build a proper app on top of our API.

In the meantime, we’re just trying to help. If some of you are using PMSs, you can help us by contacting those and telling them to integrate Seam into their product :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@joshua.dailey01 yes but you will need to use the API for this. We also have a Zapier integration you might be able to leverage.

You can read about to program a code against multiple locks in our API docs here:

@Babar_Khan

We don’t currently show you codes programmed by other apps against your door locks. However, we’re about to release a new API feature called “unmanaged code” which will show you those codes…except that’s impossible for us to show you the actual code when it comes to SmartThings. We can show you the name of the code (e.g. “Reservation 1234XYZ”) but not the code itself. We may add a text field where you can tell us what that code is and we will try to display it that way. Otherwise this feature works fine for all other supported door lock integrations.

1 Like

@Msweetmo yep. Create as many workspaces as you’d like and connect the same account as many times as you’d like. We also have a multi workspace API key feature coming out soon if ever you need to control devices across workspaces (generally, not recommended).

Thanks for detailed reply. Just the second part of query remains: would adding a code through Seam fill the blank slot or overwrite existing slot code (already set through rboy etc)?

@sybohy can you please post a pair of links for the following:

1. that we should give to our PMS business and technical folks for them to get introduced to Seam from a PMS perspective

2. that will show the benefits/features to PMS users for a PMS that has integrated to Seam - our PMS has users vote on features for the roadmap and I would like to add a link that will show the average user (not the techies on here) what benefits they will get if the PMS is integrated

I have initiated a thread with my PMS but would like to put Seam in the best possible light

would adding a code through Seam fill the blank slot or overwrite existing slot code

It will use the empty slots. We never touch codes that were set by another application. However we did notice that RBoy removes codes set by Seam so you will want to disable Rboy first.

1 Like

Created a Seam account and workspace without issue, but at the step to connect my SmartThings account I’m getting “An unexpected error occurred, waiting for a Seam representative to configure account instead (1/3)”

I’ve got both text and authenticator enabled for 2FA on my account.

1 Like

ditto
I’m getting the same result that Leif is,
“An unexpected error occurred, waiting for a Seam representative to configure account instead (1/3)” after having had a series of
“Connecting to your SmartThings account…” errors, that progress only to 2/3 at 65%.
I’ve tried three browsers, Chrome, Brave, Safari. Edit: also Firefox.
I’ve tried deleting the WebView and starting over.
I’ve also selected “Disable 2fa on next login” on Groovy w/ no luck.
I do not get any prompt for two-factor with Seam at any time during this setup.

@sybohy HostAway doesn’t disclose the ability to control SmartThings locks in their support or feature set or marketplace. I am currently using HostAway AND Hospitable - specifically for the seam lock integration (since my Rboy apps died like everyone else).

Any idea how to use Hostaway with SmartThings Guest Lock??

@Leif_Espelund @HChanW argh. terribly sorry to both. This initial account linking is really unstable. We have a new one coming out end of this week that should mix many of these issues. In the meantime, feel free to email support@getseam.com so that we can look into the logs and see if there’s anything obvious. I appreciate the patience/feedback and determination. :pray:

1 Like