Scout Replacement - Meet NOONLIGHT! Awesome Security Monitoring! ADT sucks (May 2019)

Obviously Smartthings and ADT worked out a deal and pushed Scout out. Which sucks, because I was satisfied with Scout. Now you have to spend hundreds of dollars on ADT’s junk equipment and utilize their high, ever changing monthly fees. Or do you?

Meet Noonlight. It’s like Scout, only better. Super friendly people who specialize in monitoring. They’re instantaneous, efficient, include a Panic button built into the smartthings app, as well as they’re own App that has a pressure switch. You let go and you have 10 seconds to punch in your code or they are dispatching the police to your location, and I mean, your precise location where your phone is. So you get the Home integration, and the mobile application for like 10 bucks a month! Setup takes a tiny bit of time, but it’s pretty straightforward and outlined here:

https://help.konnected.io/support/solutions/articles/32000024281-installing-noonlight-for-smartthings

I’ve spoken with them and they are making some upgrades to outperform their existing platform as far as notifications are concerned, and V2 is already out. So, setup an account with noonlight, you’ll be the primary Household. Anyone else you want to designate to be able to cancel alarms has to download their app “Noonlight” once they have a registered account everyone will receive notification of intrusions, leaks, smoke, whatever you designate via text, the primary household member receives a phone call as well. Additionally, they are looking at adding a phone tree in V3 so multiple members are notified.

ADD MEMBERS HERE: https://manage.noonlight.com

If you have your cell phones listed as presence sensors, it will also notify the police what members are at home. Pretty slick.

If you utilize Google Home or that other junk from Amazon, you can say Hey Google, someone is in the house, and it’ll trigger noonlight. Once it’s triggered, it’s not stopping and cannot be cancelled without talking to a Noonlight Monitoring employee.
You can also say, Hey Google, tell Noonlight to send help. Done. It’s that simple.

One thing to keep in mind. NoonLIGHT should be treated as though it is an additional “Light” in your home. So when setting up your security profile, you want to trigger a LIGHT - noonlight, and a Siren - Noonlight. That was the only hiccup I ran into but found pretty quickly. If you follow the instructions listed above, and download via GITHUB, it’s pretty straightforward.

So far, I’m abundantly impressed with Noonlight and ecstatic that I don’t have to use ADT garbage. Hope this helps the rest of you that are getting cancelled because of stupid corporate agreements with ADT and samsung.

1 Like

I’m glad you found something you liked. I hear a lot of good things about Noonlight. :sunglasses: There are several threads in the forum on people comparing the smartthings/ADT system versus Noonlight, although I don’t think most of those have looked at scout as well.

One important thing to be aware of is that the integration with noonlight requires that both the SmartThings cloud And the Internet be active. That’s not true of the smartthings/ADT system, which has its own cellular module And can alert the monitoring center even if the Internet or the SmartThings cloud are unavailable.

It also means that other features like arming/disarming The system will also require that the SmartThings cloud be active and available. Again, that is not true for the SmartThings/ADT system, which can be armed/disarmed from either the panel itself or with the dual logo key fob.

So the SmartThings/ADT system will run locally for the security features, but a noonlight-based system will not.

That won’t matter to everyone, but it will matter to some, so it is worth mentioning.

2 Likes

Excellent points. For me, internet connectivity is not an issue as it is down rarely, if ever. Cellular however is horrible. (Uniden U70 Repeater to get signal)

A simple UPS for more frequent than most power outages and my system is on.

Those who are looking to mitigate the cellular backup, which to me is unnecessary can simply purchase a MiFi or modem with cellular backup. $99

Much better option than $500 worth of ADT junk that looks like it was manufactured 10 years ago and they slapped a Smartthings logo on it. Might be great for someone else, not for me.

Cellular backup doesn’t help you with a noonlight/SmartThings system, because all the notifications have to go through the SmartThings cloud. And you can’t get there from cellular. :disappointed_relieved:

The UPS will help keep your power on, but it doesn’t solve the issue of either your Internet provider being unavailable (an issue for some people in remote locations) or with the SmartThings cloud not working.

There just really isn’t any way, even with additional equipment, to re-create the independent connectivity that the ADT/smartthings model provides If you are using another model smartthings hub. Again, that won’t matter to everyone, but it will matter to some.

I agree with you JD. It’s not important to everyone, but it certainly is to me. I don’t have ADT/SmartThings or Scout or Nooonlight but I do have FrontPoint. FrontPoint systems are monitored and a completely cellular system. To me, snipping the very obvious bright orange Spectrum cable that supplies TV and internet to my house, is way too easy for anyone interested in defeating an internet-based security system.

1 Like

Cellular modem backup certainly does help.
Smart things doesn’t know if it’s connected to a dial up modem a cable modem, dsl, cell phone or smoke signal. As long as it has internet connectivity and power, it works. Only potential issue is if Smartthings server is down. Which is rare if ever.

1 Like

Sorry, I misunderstood. Yes, of course you’re right that if you are using cellular for the modem and the modem to reach the Internet, that definitely does help.

The ADT/SmartThings system is using their cellular to call the monitoring center directly.

Any other smartthings hub model uses the cloud to initiate contact, Including to Noonlight.

As far as how often the smartthings cloud is unavailable, that’s documented both on the official status page (although that doesn’t catch everything) and on the first bug reports page in the community – created wiki.

For the last 20 months it has been down at least once a month, sometimes briefly, sometimes for more than a day. If you are not at home and the outage is brief, you may not even realize it went out. But that’s less of an issue for Home Automation than it is for security.

In addition, there has been at least one and typically more than one scheduled outage every month over the same time. Every time they announce a hub firmware update, that will mean The functional equivalent of a cloud outage.

So it does happen, and it happens pretty often. But it may be short enough that you don’t notice. Whether that matters to you in regards to a security system or not, again is just something that varies by individual.

I’m pretty sure that I would not characterize SmartThings outages as being rare. For Home Automation purposes, it’s acceptable. For security? Not at all. YMMV.

1 Like

Full surveillance backup as well independent of their system and on its own power source.

If you’re worried about someone breaking in for the minute and 30 seconds the update occurs, you must have a room full of gold bars, not locked up.
Also if you think you’re good because it triggers an alarm and twenty minutes later the police arrive to see all your missing stuff, well… You get my point.

2 Likes

As I said, YMMV. I’ve only had one occasion to test the County Sheriff’s response during the many years that I’ve had a FrontPoint system. Response time by two officers in separate cars was under three minutes. I’ve now moved to a different town where my anecdotal experience says that police response should be at least as good (higher police to citizen ratio and closer stations). This has been shown to be true for instances that I’m aware of in the area. Also, it’s important to note that I’m more concerned with my family members than I am with my ‘things’. Even if I believed that the differences we’re discussing were small (I don’t), it’d still be worth it to me.

Again, YMMV. We each make choices based on our opinions and experiences.

1 Like