Schlage Connect touchscreen deadbolt - keep going offline

I have two Schlage touchscreen deadbolts. One of them is working 100% of the time without issues. Other one, is actually slightly newer, and it is offline 75% of the time. But when I do lock or unlock from the app, or operate the lock physically, then the device shows online in smartthings app. But it does go offline after sometime. Both the locks are 5ft apart, so I don’t think it’s the connectivity issue. And there is no modem or any other device near the locks that can interfere with the signals. BTW. I have Samsung Connect Home 3pk, and I am using 2. One of them is only 10 feet away from the locks.

I hope someone has a solution to this. Thanks in advance.

It might be helpful to tell us what model your locks are and what protocol they use (Z-Wave, Zigbee). And also what SmartThings app you use.

Bob,

Schlage Z-wave Connect Camelot Touchscreen deadbolt lock - BE469

I am using both (old and new) apps, but primarily the New app.
Both apps (and the website) shows the device is offline.

Here is a check list for you:

-replace batteries
-run Z-Wave repair
-change DTH to a virtual device in IDE, update, then change it back to the same handler as the other lock
-exclude, reset the lock and then include it again.
-call Schlage

1 Like

Thanks Bob. I tried all these steps already. But nothing worked. I also contacted Schlage, and they are sending a replacement. This is the 2nd replacement. So, I am trying to understand, if its Smartthings or the lock itself.

2 Likes

Same lock, similar issue. I made a post on here about it a bit ago I think. Worked well in the beginning, then I added rboyapps to get more use out of the lock. Worked well for a few months before losing connection constantly. I would stop receiving texts and soon after, I lost remote functionality. Resetting it was a PITA and was only a bandaid. Eventually I grabbed 2 repeaters and placed them within close to the lock. 1 is less than 10ft away the other is about 15 feet away. Tried using only 1 of these and still had the same issues. Mind you, the hub is probably about 25ft away from the lock.

After adding both repeaters and using the repair option many times, my problems have ceased. When I was searching for similar issues from other users, I did not have a problem finding others in my position. Seems to be a lock issue.

1 Like

I think it is the lock issue. I just received the replacement and that seems to work fine so far. I was testing the batteries in the lock with issues and noticed that the batteries were totally drained, and looks like it happened very quickly. No warning and no indication that it has low battery. And infact, these batteries are barely 2 months old and I probably used the lock 5-10 times max. They did sent me a zwaveplus lock, so will see how it performs.

1 Like

That would the SmartThings “Device Health” which is marking it offline. The way it works is that ST “pings” the lock from time to time. If the lock responds to the ping it marks it online and if it fails to see a response it marks the lock as Offline. It doesn’t mean there’s an issue with the lock (as you’ve seen when you try to lock/unlock it), it just means that the ping/response from the lock didn’t reach the hub. This often means there’s an issue with the Z-Wave mesh because of which some messages are being lost.

A few best practices when using a lock to avoid such issues:

1. Have a buffering device within 20ft of your lock
  2. Reboot the hub and do a Z-Wave repair
  3. Ensure your lock batteries at strong, especially with Schlage deadbolt locks, they tend to start dying around 75% which can interfere with it’s mesh communications. See this post for more details: At what percentage to change batteries in Schlage lever lock? - #12 by RBoy
2 Likes

Thanks for your response Maddie.
I’ve received several different responses. But this is the most convincing one.

1. Lock is within 20ft from the hub. And I do have several Zwave devices (that can act as repeaters)
  2. I tried the repair and didn’t work either.
  3. I followed the link and read your post. I think that explains. The battery did drop below 75%, and then in no time, it started to go offline, and then finally dead. Apart from that, the lock itself drained battery from 100 to 75% in matter of days, even though I’ve only used it only 5-10times in 2months. So, I am guessing it has a bad radio, draining the battery. Atleast that’s what Schlage concluded, and sent me a replacement lock.
2 Likes

I also get the “offline” notification often. My Schlage is within 10 feet of a repeater. The battery percentage is always above 80%. I have rebooted and performed the Z-wave repair. None of those things seem to have changed anything. HOWEVER, I have several webcore pistons for this lock and the lock seems to always function as expected despite the “unavailable” notification in ST.

I have the same issue, my lock is only two months old and the battery is 88%. I have this issue since I connected to Alexa for voice commands yesterday. Any assistance is welcomed

Same issue here. Seems to push itself back online when used by someone. I too connected to Alexa recently. Any tie into doing so?

I factory reset the lock according to Schlage instructions and added as a new thing. It seems to work OK at the moment.

I have this same problem. I just installed my SmartThings hub yesterday, I have two (z-wave) Schlage Connect touchscreen deadbolts both within 10 feet of the Hub. The Hub is online but the locks keep going offline.

We just installed the hub yesterday so I can’t imagine it’s a reboot situation, especially when the other lock isn’t having any trouble at all. The batteries were 100% as they were also replaced yesterday. The hub itself is one floor beneath the lock that is acting up, but distance wise, they’re only about 5 feet apart (through the floor).

Do you have to have a buffering device between floors? These are very thin floors, between a basement and a 1st floor. So, just joists, subfloor with wood plank.

Also, after installing the Universal Z-Wave Lock app from RBoy, the lock came online. 1 hour later, now both locks are offline.

Since the Universal Z-Wave install, each lock was pinged 4 times then reported back offline. The Hub itself is online.

I sent my questions to @maddie and she said it sounds like a buffering issue: It sounds like a classic buffering issue, the hub should never communicate with the lock directly due to the lack of buffering. So when it sends a ping and if the response is lost from the lock due to the lack of buffering, it will make it offline. Best to move the hub further away and put a repeater between the lock and the hub.

I also spoke with SmartThings and they had me uninstall both the Device Handler and the Rental Lock Automation tool, reboot the hub and voila - everything is back online (for now). I’d still like to be able to use the RLA as it makes my life immensely easier but am concerned that it’s now interfering somehow. I know several other vacation rental hosts are using this program seamlessly, so I don’t think it’s a programming issue.

Could it have simply been a Hub reset all along?

As a follow up to this - I’m still experiencing the same problems, even without the RBoy apps. I’ve tried the new app and the classic app, but i’m still losing connectivity to the locks, can’t program codes, etc. I’ve rebooted the HUB and still, no connections. Any suggestions?

Hi there, sorry to hear that your locks are still acting up. Did you try adding a repeater between your lock and your hub. We do strongly recommend that to avoid dropped packets.

The offline status isn’t related to any apps or device handlers, it’s to do with the mesh itself. This post may explain it better: FAQ: why would I need another beaming repeater if my zwave lock is already close to my hub?

If it’s a new lock (Schlage) you could also try to contact customer care to request a replacement just incase the z-wave module has an issue. It’s rare but it’s known to happen.

Hi @maddie yes I’m still having issues. Thanks for checking!

That said though, after reading:

I spoke with Schlage and they’re sending me two new locks that should be more compatible with the new firmware in my SmartThings hub.

I also have a Monoprice z-wave repeater on order that should be here next week.

Fingers crossed this works out!

1 Like