So, in the time since I wrote the post I did the following, logged into smartthings and changed the device from generic zwave to zwave lock. I then went to dinner at a great local brew pub (2 beers & 1 sandwich).
Now I see the device showing as a lock. That change was not instant FYI.
Also worth noting: I removed the lock a number of times, I never chose generic zwave device, I always chose schlage zwave lock.
I have absolutely noticed with the other 2 locks that there is no, none, zero real time updating from lock to hub. Yes, even with a repeater.
Sorry, I don’t buy that this hub with 2 locks on it can’t handle that load.
I certainly hope There is an update for the Schlage locks.
The support from Schlage is greatly lacking in this area.
edit: additionally, I thank you folks for the quick responses.