Samsung TV

I have a 2015 model, but I have a harmony hub attached already, so I am wondering what connecting this tv will do for me that I can’t already do with my Harmony?

I would really like to see a ticker bar pop up while tv is on certain smartthings activity.
I would also like the ability to turn on the tv when someone knocks on the door to provide video image of who is there.
Maybe a picture in picture option when watching tv to see who is at the door.

@joshua_lyon : As a new user of Sharp Tools (for the Wi-Fi Near presence detection for me and the wife), I wonder… does your Fire TV tool allow ST control of a Samsung TV?

SharpTools for Amazon Fire TV provides control of your SmartThings devices. So if your Samsung TV can be controlled by SmartThings, you can control it with SharpTools.

Edit: And for reference, SharpTools for Android devices (phone/tablet) has support for Harmony devices – both in Tasker as well as in the remote control UI.

1 Like

I would like to k[quote=“zj4x4, post:14, topic:10205, full:true”]

Where did you hear this? That would be great!
[/quote]

I would like to know this as well. @Benji

I would like to know this as well. @Benji
[/quote]

Don’t quote me or Tyler as it’s entirely possible these things might change but:

Any updates on this situation @Tyler?

EDIT: US only, according to compatibility page in the support article… Not sure if anyone noticed but the marketplace now has Samsung TV under Samsung Products. I was able to get my 2016 model as a device and allow Alexa to turn it off and on. I have been able to use CoRE to send notification messages to it which shows on the upper notification bar on the tv.

2 Likes

Nice Discovery, no luck for me. What model do you have? I have a 2016 UHD…

Found this…

Press the Home button on your TV remote
Select Settings in the bottom left
Navigate to Support
Select Contact Samsung
Under Product information, look for the 14-character Model Code. If the 4th and 5th characters in the code are “KU” or “KS” followed by the number “6” or above, then your Samsung TV is compatible and can be connected to your SmartThings Hub as a Thing!

Model # of the TV is UN55KS8000FXZA, which would fit the group you described. Guess I got lucky picking it out.

1 Like

Nice find working well here.

Man, got the short stick JS8500 :blush:

I checked this 2 months ago and it wasn’t there. I got my UN65KS8500 connected to ST in 2 min. It automatically adds the “Movie Time” routine and sets the TV to turn off with “Goodbye!” and on with “I’m Back!”. It also adds functionality to change TV picture modes with different routines.

This only works w/ Smart Hub V2, it is not support on Smart Hubs V1. I have V1, I’ve been running for over 2 years now, and i have the v2 i got in the 1st release w/ the deal but i haven’t set it up, because i’m waiting for the migration tool that is coming in Dec of 2016.

Can anyone tell me how good the control is of the TV? I have a Harmony Hub I used to control my Samsung TV, is this integration better?

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. It connected my UN65KS8000 TV fairly easily and nice addition to ST.

It’s sort of like playing Russian Roulette looking at all the models and the marketing of integration. Just like how I ran across the new listing in the Marketplace - accidental fat finger push looking for something else.

1 Like

Works great! Huge thanks!

Yup, exactly how I feel. I thought J series with higher number than a lower K series is better. Well it is, from a TV perspective but not from ST integration standpoint. Oops.

Hey @Tyler am I just out of luck? Or is there a slightly slight chance that J series could be included?

My 60KS8000 was added smoothly…thanks for the heads up. Still waiting for the “extend” , maybe someday

How did you use core to send a notification?

The TV is under the Control Any Device section at the bottom, then under Notification Devices. Here are some examples I was playing around with.

3 Likes