Samsung TV - Can't Turn On

Interesting, never heard of it. But looking at it briefly, seems complicated and you have to have a Hub? I unfortunately don’t have one or intend to buy one. I prefer to just rely only on the presence of my phone. Unless there’s an android app that can do it as a stand-in.

If its communicating only through SmartThings, it may not work with older sets like mine because SmartThings itself cant do it.

Today received update of Smartthings and guess what. No change. Still I can not turn it on with google assissant.

Guys,

I just found it. It’s not Smartthings nor Google assistant. It’s TV itself. When I disconnect power cable and connect back, I can turn my TV on with voice. BUT only one time. It is working only after re-connect of power cable :wink::exploding_head:

Can someone explain why all these solutions work over wifi and not ethernet?

I’m having the same issue with my RU7100, can turn it on via smart things app but not google assistant/ home/ nest mini and I’ve done all the suggested fixes and I’m on wifi :frowning: can someone at least confirm if all should be on 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz wifi?

The whole reason for this not working is that the TV’s go into deep sleep and turn off the network port.
The only way to get this working is to send a WOL packet (at least 16 packets) to the IP address with mac on port 9 to wake the network port up on the TV then it will power on even if it shows it off in the app.
The WOL packet is the ONLY way to reliably wake the LAN port up before turning it on.
Its interesting that after sending a WOL packet to the TV i can ask alexa to turn the TV on, she tells me that command doesnt work on device TV but the TV still turns on :smiley:

Thanks Hugh. That’s really useful information, but how would a layperson go about doing that?

Therein lies the rub. In the old days with a bit of community effort it could be done in the groovy ide. I’m not sure what the status is any more with that as I know it’s going away at some point. I guess we could petition the smartthings dev team to add it to the Samsung TV device handler?
I haven’t touched the ide since moving to the new app as I heard it was going to die. If anyone else has any thoughts please jump in.

I got an answer (for my case at least) from Samsung support. ST I’d only partially compatible with TVs that are 2016 or 2017. Full functionality (including turning it on) is not available unless TV is 2018 or newer

Use to work, then someone decided to remove that feature from older models.
My work around is Roku Premiere+player. It is capable of turning TV on. After that you have full control of TV

That’s why, perfect answer

Here is my workaround. I use a Broadlink Pro and have learned the power on button from my Samsung TV IR remote. This allows me to control my TV from my phone, but also allows me to set up a scene in Alexa to power on the TV with my voice.

Yes, Sometimes it happened.

Hello,

My solution for Alexa :

I had the same problem (can’t turn on with Alexa, all other functions works) only when TV connected with ethernet/LAN wired connection :

Alexa can’t turn back on the TV because when you power off, after between 30 seconds to 1 minute, the TV enters a kind of deep sleep state that disables the ethernet port.

A kind user named HughB said we can still wake up the TV by sending a WOL (Wake-On-LAN) packet with the mac address of the TV, I tested it with WOLcmd.exe (command line utility to send WOL packet) and it worked, thanks to him.

It then opened the possibility of a workaround for Alexa, assuming that your Samsung TV is already registered in Alexa, linked with Smartthings skill and that all is working except “turn on”.

Here are steps (everything is free) :

• First write down the mac address of your TV, on your TV, go in Settings/Assistance/About this TV, then there is Wired/Etherner MAC Address line.
    (Mac address format is xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx)
  • Go to https://www.wolskill.com/ and link with your Amazon Alexa account
  • In Wolskill.com, add the MAC address of the TV with a name like “turn on Samsung” (my advice is to not name it TV because it will interfere with the already registered TV name in Alexa device list)
  • Go in the Alexa app on your phone, and search and add skill “Wolskill”.
  • A new device named “Turn on Samsung” will be added to your device list.

From now, to turn on TV your have to say “Alexa, turn on Samsung” (and not “turn on TV”), it will send a WOL packet to the TV and turn it on even if it’s in deep sleep. For the rest, after about 30 secondes, Smartthings will reconnect and every commands like “change volume/canal/turn off” will work again, like a usual “Alexa raise the volume of the TV” or “Alexa turn off the TV”.

(Very important to not name the WOLskil rule “TV”, because if you do so, if you say “Alexa turn on TV”, it will try to turn it on with Smartthings and it will not work)

I hope it helps :slight_smile:

The other workaround is of course to use wireless instead of ethernet, but only 2.4Ghz is sometimes problematic, especially if you have a lot of neighbours.

1 Like

maybe something burned out in it

I used to have problems with my 2018 model, but the new firmware changed that. Checking for updates on the actual TV does not work, you have to download the new firmware from Manuals & Software | Official Samsung Support US, unzip it to a USB flash drive, and put that in the TVs USB. Once the USB is in the TV, go to settings and select update now.

I got it working on the new SmartThings app. Skipped a ton of steps because I couldn’t install the classic app. Thanks!

Solution I think is to disable approval notification when you want to cast to your TV from phone. Try to cast anything to your TV from phone when the TV is on(maybe try casting by youtube app), if the TV asks for approval then that’s the problem. You can set your phone as a trusted device on your TV settings and the problem will be gone.

Have ST and 2 Samsung TVs , one 2018 another 2021 .
The new one connected over wired and works with ST with no problems. The old one not working/communicate over LAN at all. Over WiFi it can be controlled but can’t be turned on.

So, at least there is a hope for new TVs , the problem that it looks like no hope for old TVs .
One thing that can be attempted is to create Edge driver for ST/Aeotec hub that sends WON packet , assuming this will make it wake up, haven’t tested.
The other thing , I have FireTV Cube connected to the old TV and it can turn it over CEC HDMI no problem, so one way to turn it on using Alexa is through FireTV

Have you updated the software on the 2018 TV? If no update appears on the TV itself, check Samsung’s support page to see if there is newer software then what is on the TV.