Samsung TV - Can't Turn On

I found your post to be most hopeful as I have used similar methods on other devices. I have a Samsung Series 5 TV. I am able to have Alexa change to Home on fire TV but am having trouble creating the SmartThings scene correctly. In order to work properly with Alexa, should the Scene be (E.G.) “HDMI 1” or “Input HDMI 1”? I am completely unclear on how to bring them into Alexa with a routine. I have the “Samsung Smart Home Complete” and “SmartThings” Skills in my Alexa app. Which should I use and what is the procedure to create the routine?

I tried your way. but I’m stuck at smarththings classic app. It doesn’t work anymore when you open it, it redirects you to download the new app.
So what should I do?

After reading through 160+ comments I have a viable work around for phone and Alexa users.

Phone:

1. For phone users the TV must be on wifi.

2. Make sure turn on with phone and IP remote on turned on in network settings under expert settings.

Alexa:

1. Enable SmartThings skills on the TV!

2. In smart things create two scenes and name them whatever (Alexa custom routine will simplify this name in the end) - make one for on and off functions.

3. once the scenes are in Alexa attached them to the room the tv is in.

4. create one off and on voice routine > name either whatever but when it you type the voice command make sure they are “Alexa, turn off tv” / “Alexa turn on tv”

And with that you should be able to just say “Alexa Tv on / off” without any additional words / verbiage. While this is a bit of a workaround it leads to the simplest / easiest use with Alexa and phone.

***I had a very similar problem to this, and here’s what FIXED it (for me):

My phone (used to pair Samsung televisions in SmartThings to Alexa) would show the televisions kept going offline. When I first set things up, they worked. Then I could turn the TV’s off via Alexa but not turn them on. Then they just stopped working with Alexa completely. I would go into the SmartThings app and then see that they were listed as offline. So I would delete the TV’s from SmartThings and then re-link them into SmartThings. They would work for a bit then stop working; after a short period of time, again, Alexa would stop controlling them and they would continue to stay offline in the SmartThings status.
It turns out that my wifi network (on my cellphone) was listed as 2.4ghz and 5ghz in the available wifi networks list. Both listed networks (more accurately, same network, different frequencies) had the function to “automatically join” the network enabled. So it was repeatedly toggling between the 2.4ghz and 5ghz network. I setup the tv’s on the 5ghz network. When I went in my phone and disabled the ability to automatically join the 2.4 ghz network, the network stayed on 5ghz and the problems disappeared.

This network frequency issue was also causing other smart devices to have errors during updates (through my cellphone), etc
 After I changed this, all devices and updates are working properly.

Maybe this is obvious to some of you guys, but I had no idea this would cause a problem. Anyway, all has been stable since then. I hope this helps some of you- because I had no idea what the problem was and almost gave up on all of the smart devices.

1 Like

A fairly simple workaround :
1, Sign up for ifttt.com
2, add smartthings and Alexa accounts.
3, set “TV on” as a Alexa command (if this)
4, set turn TV on via smartthings (then that)

Now when you say “Alexa trigger TV on, your TV will turn on”.

Why the Alexa skill doesn’t do this is beyond me but, it solves the problem, this works on WiFi and ethernet as of today 13/2/2021 on my 2020 8000 series TV.

Well, I’ve solved 

Now my tv turn-on without problem 
 with node-red.
Evidently the problem is SmartThings (weird huh?) for which the tv is offline, while it isn’t true.

1 Like

Have this problem with my TV too. Alexa can control the entire TV without fault but can’t turn it on. “Alexa, turn TV on,” will be answered “OK” but nothing happens.

However, from hours of blood, sweat and tears, came the following work arounds.

I mention them to help advance our knowledge base.

First you have to indicate to Alexa the TV brand and model.

Say, “Alexa, turn Samsung TV on”, she will then ask you if, (in my case), “Do you mean Samsung Series IV, 75 inch TV?”
Answer, “Yes”. Now the TV comes on.

Discovering this lead me to a simpler solution 

“Alex, turn Samsung On”. Then without any further ado, TV comes on.

I suspect this will only work if you only have one smart device in Samsung Smart Things.

Anyway worth a go.

You have to do the same each time you turn your TV on.

Agreed! Utter nonsense! You would think Samsung would understand we purchased a smart tv to be smart! To actually work with our Alexa or google etc. My tv is connected via wifi and the power saving mode is off and after being turned off for a period of time it will not turn on via Alexa or smart things app even though alexa says ‘ok’as tho she can
 but that damn tv won’t turn on! Ridiculous! Ready to return this bloody tv if it can’t even do what it should!

1 Like

Thank you Mark, the fix you mentioned worked for me. After changing the settings in the TV am able to switch on the TV from smartthings app but faced issue while switching it on from alexa, had to delete the device in smartthings app and add it back for Alexa to get the updated device settings. Thanks again

There is no option under “Scenes” for my TV to turn on. Only off. what the fuck. No option either under network

IFTTT also cannot turn on the TV for me. It says applet ran, but nothing happens.

I figured out a super “hacky” way of doing this.

The TV responds to Wake on Lan packets. This can be triggered from any device on the wifi.
If I’m on the wifi with my Android phone, you can install apps called WakeOnLan, Tasker, IFTTT, and Pushbullet.

In WakeOnLan, you need to detect your TV or manually input the IP and MAC address.
You set up IFTTT to trigger on Google Assistant to send a pushbullet note that contains text of a key phrase like “turn on samsung TV”.
In tasker you create a trigger for pushbullet that detects this key phrase, which then triggers a WakeOnLan plugin for the TV.

There is a slight delay to this method, it isn’t instant. Also, lots of points of failure and Tasker costs like $3 to purchase or something. IFTTT also has a 3 cap limit.

I used this method to also setup turning on my PC remotely awhile back.

Samsung needs to wake up.

Or you could use Wake On Lan with WebCoRE, and it would be free :wink:

Interesting, never heard of it. But looking at it briefly, seems complicated and you have to have a Hub? I unfortunately don’t have one or intend to buy one. I prefer to just rely only on the presence of my phone. Unless there’s an android app that can do it as a stand-in.

If its communicating only through SmartThings, it may not work with older sets like mine because SmartThings itself cant do it.

Today received update of Smartthings and guess what. No change. Still I can not turn it on with google assissant.

Guys,

I just found it. It’s not Smartthings nor Google assistant. It’s TV itself. When I disconnect power cable and connect back, I can turn my TV on with voice. BUT only one time. It is working only after re-connect of power cable :wink::exploding_head:

Can someone explain why all these solutions work over wifi and not ethernet?

I’m having the same issue with my RU7100, can turn it on via smart things app but not google assistant/ home/ nest mini and I’ve done all the suggested fixes and I’m on wifi :frowning: can someone at least confirm if all should be on 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz wifi?

The whole reason for this not working is that the TV’s go into deep sleep and turn off the network port.
The only way to get this working is to send a WOL packet (at least 16 packets) to the IP address with mac on port 9 to wake the network port up on the TV then it will power on even if it shows it off in the app.
The WOL packet is the ONLY way to reliably wake the LAN port up before turning it on.
Its interesting that after sending a WOL packet to the TV i can ask alexa to turn the TV on, she tells me that command doesnt work on device TV but the TV still turns on :smiley: