Samsung goes after Apple at home with new Connect Home hub

Someone asked, but I don’t think there was a reply: Can WiFi on Samsung Connect be disabled? I got one as a gift for speaking and I have a ST V1 hub I would like to replace (i.e., start over with a fresh SmartThings installation since I recall V1 won’t migrate). I already have a good WiFi and I do not want to replace it with this one. I only want it for the ST Hub.

Some further questions- is it Hub V2 inside Samsung Connect? Or 2.5 (or 3)? Has that been clarified some 8 months after this thread was started?

Thanks,
Jeff

1 Like

[quote=“mwiseman, post:165, topic:83036, full:true”]

I would generally agree, but I’m finding that having android built into my tv has incredible benefits. Virtually everything can be commanded over the network… and supposedly Sony is going to make direct Alexa control of my set available by year end.

potentially (still waiting for definite confirmation) the biggest advantage is that Connect Home acts as ZigBee/ZWave mesh/extenders, which if true, will have super positive effect on the battery life for battery powered sensors. Getting five of those (max size of mesh?) for under $200 (current price for 3 is $100 at Lowes, Home Depot, and pretty much elsewhere) will set up strong WiFi AND ZigBee/ZWave coverage.
Just make sure you connect each of those devices to LAN network.

From what I’ve read here (I don’t have the devices myself), they did not work that way at first, but after an update around the beginning of this year, each device can now act as a repeater for z-wave and zigbee meshes.

1 Like

if they act as mesh - does that mean that they count as one jump (from main unit to satellite unit) or I will still have preserved 4 ZigBee jumps.
Assuming that I connect them using network cable - do they need to be near by each other i.e. see each other, be withing each other range or I can have them spaced in two separate ends of my house (beyond normal zigbee reach)

I know that those are technical questions - but ST support staff was lost on those too. and this community is great source and should be a required periodic read for every ST IT support staffer. :smile:

1 Like

As far as I know, they should act the same as any other zigbee repeater.

You don’t get any kind of “extra” signal transmission due to the fact that there is also a WiFi router/access point contained within the same plastic box.

Although I can’t say that with 100% certainty since I don’t have one, and that would be pretty cool if that were possible (I would hazard a guess that it’s not).

1 Like

Ideally all of them should work as one unit with up to five different access points. One could only wish.

In what way?

1 Like